Irish Build Thread

Certainly, but it’s not the point when I’ve been told 5 times “we’ll have them soon and send it right out” nor should it be necessary.

Right now it’s probably dead again. Intent is “yeah I’ll take if for spin one night” and end up home late multiple times and here we are.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I had a parasitic draw issue with my JK6 build a long time ago...we installed dash mounted kill switch to a large relay connected to both of my batteries (originally for safety in case of a roll)...but it took care of my battery drain issues, especially since this Jeep is in WA and I spend a considerable amount of time in Hawaii...something to think about...

The JK has cooling challenges. As Hemi guys know just running a massive radiator is not the solution. The LS being more compact and all aluminum does cool better than other engines; however, were still talking 400+ HP and high compression. The LS as mentioned also runs a reverse cooling system so if not properly purged an air bubble will form at the top of the heads and cause the coolant to stall. A steamport is added to purge the air out but here is a common scenario.

Worn out radiator cap. You drive around and coolant is slowly pushed into the overflow bottle and onto the ground. When you shut the engine off the system contracts and air is sucked into the system because the bottle is sucked dry. This little amount of air can cause the bubble which stalls the coolant flow. Signs of this are coolant on the ground with no visible leaks. The simple solution is too run a good quality 16 psi cap like the Stant 10233.

The JK's big issue with cooling is airflow, we have a small engine compartment with poor flow. The LS being smaller than the Hemi has an advantage. We're trying to pull low pressure air into a high pressure zone which can be difficult.

The thicker the core the more restrictive it can be. Also high efficiency cores with a high fin count can restrict airflow. Years ago we developed our 52 mm dual pass core; the dual pass core gives the coolant more time in the radiator. We spent a lot of time in the Vegas heat figuring out what combination works best airflow vs capacity. We run a manual transmission AC condenser and get rid of the stock condenser with trans cooler which is next to useless. We run an aftermarket condenser that has a lower fin count that doesn't plug up so easy from dust and debris on the trail like the high efficiency stock condenser does.

So what it comes down to is airflow. The largest radiator is not any good if there is not enough airflow to move the heat out. Many guys are surprised when we remove their 4 or 5 row radiators and install our 2 row 52mm radiator and they run cooler. The Camaro SS fan and Pentstar fans are capable of moving a lot of air. These fans are designed to run a medium duty cycle and as long as air is coming through the grille they will stay around 20-30% commanded. Under a load these fans can pull 70 amps which will cool the engine but if you keep your foot into it up a grade and there is no airflow through the grille to assist the fan at some point the fan will shut down which is better than failing. We normally see this on heavy JK's running at high speed. We had one customer running 100 mph and his 3" stinger 2 feet in front of the bumper was deflecting the air away from the grille. Running some cardboard to redirect the air put air through the grille and lowered the demand on the fan so he could run contentious. So there is no free lunch with cooling in a JK. The 52mm radiator and Camaro SS fan will cool it, but only so long so the airflow through the grille must be maintained as intended.

I have a large 6.2 hemi in my rig, with a supercharger intercooler in front of my radiator...and a Warn 9.5cti sitting on top of my bumper, not in it...I've not had any coolant issues with my rig, whether running at 75 mph on the highway or 2 mph crawling in 4lo...

Right because it makes complete sense that I should spend $20,000 on a motor swap in order to form my own opinion about them. I have seen Bubba's issues first hand regardless. I traveled multiple times, prior to the Texas Exodus trip last year, to his place (3 hours away) for him to work on my rig while Warpig was on jack stands due to Motech issues. Not to mention another shop in Houston uses them and they have also had issues from what I have heard, not seen for myself. Talk to Bubba if you need absolute specific issues as I have forgotten but some of them related to mocan and electronics IIRC.

If this is the build I'm thinking of he received a pre-production prototype CAN module instead of the proven MoTech module. It was agreed when the new production module was available it would need to be upgraded. Since that build this same customer wanted to do another build but we were running behind on kits with 13 on order. Bubba was a nice guy and seemed talented but we shouldn't be judged on prototype components; we are 4 generations ahead of that original module. Customers with the current CAN module don't even know it's there since it has been rationalized. But there was a short time we had to go through a learning curve on CAN in kits. Our current module that Irish will get has dip switches so the customer can configure it to his JK without programming required. The new generation will have a USB interface.

Just headed back from a few fun days in Moab for EJS. Tons of people again this year, but weather on the back end was awesome.

Jeeps on one tons and 40s everywhere. JLs are stupid capable. Saw a couple budget boosted JLs walk up obstacles JKs were hammering on.

Broke a sway bar end link (need the air disconnect with the atlas for 2 low disconnected). Blew a toyo getting stupid on rock chucker. Tore apart the Motech motor mount twice.

IMG_1488.JPG

IMG_1343.JPG

IMG_1507.JPG

Image1522612948.117502.jpg

Image1522612960.042651.jpg

Image1522612969.876674.jpg

Image1522612984.234194.jpg

Image1522612997.168024.jpg

Image1522613006.018674.jpg

Don’t worry, that’s going in too. Along with a Lsxr intake, should move some oxygen.

Hopefully the new harness takes care of the electrical issues and shoving about as many coolers as we can in.

Awesome. The harness thing has definitely been a “thing” lately. It’ll be a while before I’m talked into doing another swap.

Top Bottom