Irish Build Thread

JAGS

Hooked
Great job on the video! Who was piloting the Drone? They were doing a great job keeping the Jeep centered in the frame while flying backwards.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Pretty sure that was a motech video with the owner of motech driving the Jeep and doing the narration. Prob had drone on auto follow or whatever that setting is called for most of it.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Been a while since I’ve been on here at all much less posted anything. I’ve been hesitating making this post in hopes that issues would work themselves out as issues typically do, but alas, the troubles with Motech continue to worsen.

As I had previously posted, we had Motech perform a full swap with their kit at their shop in Vegas. The initial conversations, drop off and work flow seemed great. They even went so far as to help re-run some fire suppression lines that had gotten bent from body movement over previous years.

About half way through the swap, communication pretty much ceased. Communication there on out has only occurred when I have prodded. I was able to get the Jeep back in a relatively timely manner and the extra power is great for sure.

Small issues began pretty much immediately. A transmission leak had occurred during the builders test drive and was supposedly fixed but occurred again on the way home from Vegas. Next, on the WAYALIFE Whiskey Wunderlust trip, conditions were very dry and silty, but the amount of dirt let in through the Motech supplied air filter (to which I added the manufacturers pre-filter) was ridiculous. Decent amounts of dirt could be seen in the intake runners after one trip in the desert.

Motech’s response with that any off roading in dusty conditions really should require a snorkel. After the WAYALIFE trip, I had a business trip which forced me away for a week. I came home to work on a new air filter to find the battery was completely drained after only one week. It was drained to a point where it could not be jumped or re-charged. Since then all draws have been checked etc and it has killed another 4 batteries with the max time before a battery is completely drawn being about 4-5 days. Motech responder month ago now that they think it is a CAN issue and would send a new one. A month later and I am still killing batteries and have no new module.

In my opinion, the motech swap kits have some smart quality features, but in a general sense, they are not built for anything but “light” off-roaders to street drivers. During the swap, winch power was re-routed to ground out on the body, air filtration is not situated, fuel mileage is about 9mpg in overdrive, most recently, we suffered a massive overheating and coolant boil over on a 85 degree day with minimal load.

I know others on this forum and elsewhere have success stories with Motech, but these are my experiences and I would not recommend the Motech kit to anyone at this point.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Been a while since I’ve been on here at all much less posted anything. I’ve been hesitating making this post in hopes that issues would work themselves out as issues typically do, but alas, the troubles with Motech continue to worsen.

As I had previously posted, we had Motech perform a full swap with their kit at their shop in Vegas. The initial conversations, drop off and work flow seemed great. They even went so far as to help re-run some fire suppression lines that had gotten bent from body movement over previous years.

About half way through the swap, communication pretty much ceased. Communication there on out has only occurred when I have prodded. I was able to get the Jeep back in a relatively timely manner and the extra power is great for sure.

Small issues began pretty much immediately. A transmission leak had occurred during the builders test drive and was supposedly fixed but occurred again on the way home from Vegas. Next, on the WAYALIFE Whiskey Wunderlust trip, conditions were very dry and silty, but the amount of dirt let in through the Motech supplied air filter (to which I added the manufacturers pre-filter) was ridiculous. Decent amounts of dirt could be seen in the intake runners after one trip in the desert.

Motech’s response with that any off roading in dusty conditions really should require a snorkel. After the WAYALIFE trip, I had a business trip which forced me away for a week. I came home to work on a new air filter to find the battery was completely drained after only one week. It was drained to a point where it could not be jumped or re-charged. Since then all draws have been checked etc and it has killed another 4 batteries with the max time before a battery is completely drawn being about 4-5 days. Motech responder month ago now that they think it is a CAN issue and would send a new one. A month later and I am still killing batteries and have no new module.

In my opinion, the motech swap kits have some smart quality features, but in a general sense, they are not built for anything but “light” off-roaders to street drivers. During the swap, winch power was re-routed to ground out on the body, air filtration is not situated, fuel mileage is about 9mpg in overdrive, most recently, we suffered a massive overheating and coolant boil over on a 85 degree day with minimal load.

I know others on this forum and elsewhere have success stories with Motech, but these are my experiences and I would not recommend the Motech kit to anyone at this point.

Thanks for posting this up. Sorry to hear your experience. A V-8 is on my list down the road, and I love to support Nevada business, but I'll definitely be keeping track of your experience and any others. I can't remember if Motech is on this forum...maybe they'll chime in?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Not to sounds like a douche but did you ever think of simply disconnecting the negative terminal when the jeep sits so it doesn’t drain 26 more batteries when your not using it. Might save you some trouble while you try and work with motech so they can help fix your issue and make it right.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Not to sounds like a douche but did you ever think of simply disconnecting the negative terminal when the jeep sits so it doesn’t drain 26 more batteries when your not using it. Might save you some trouble while you try and work with motech so they can help fix your issue and make it right.

Certainly, but it’s not the point when I’ve been told 5 times “we’ll have them soon and send it right out” nor should it be necessary.

Right now it’s probably dead again. Intent is “yeah I’ll take if for spin one night” and end up home late multiple times and here we are.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Certainly, but it’s not the point when I’ve been told 5 times “we’ll have them soon and send it right out” nor should it be necessary.

Right now it’s probably dead again. Intent is “yeah I’ll take if for spin one night” and end up home late multiple times and here we are.

Sure, the point is to make sure it’s fixed BUT in the meantime why not save yourself money and the hassle of having to constantly swap batteries, cause they died, by just disconnecting it? Makes more sense to me then always having to run around to get the jeep up and running each time you wanna use it.

Exodus 4x4

Sorry to hear man, especially since this sounds extremely familiar. I used their swap, but if you look at the LS builder page on our website you’ll notice it’s not them. There’s a reason for that but I’m not going to go into any more detail than needs be.

Thanks for posting this up. Sorry to hear your experience. A V-8 is on my list down the road, and I love to support Nevada business, but I'll definitely be keeping track of your experience and any others. I can't remember if Motech is on this forum...maybe they'll chime in?

Even if they are on here...if their forum activity is anything like their customer service, he’ll never get a response...

Top Bottom