Fuel Prices

Electricity prices just doubled in Texas due to the increased price of natural gas. That does not bode well given that Texas produces a lot of natural gas (and oil). Our natural gas which is transportable as LNG is already promised to European countries to make up for the pending loss of Russian gas. Similarly, With the reduction of Russian oil, much of our oil is promised to make up for the shortfall in Europe since they do not want to pay in rubles. Biden said early on that we can all expect to suffer. He is delivering on his promises.

The only plus side is us oil burners are multiple steps ahead of electric cars since they have a burn, generate, distribution, and charge, steps that we don't have.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
Electricity prices just doubled in Texas due to the increased price of natural gas. That does not bode well given that Texas produces a lot of natural gas (and oil). Our natural gas which is transportable as LNG is already promised to European countries to make up for the pending loss of Russian gas. Similarly, With the reduction of Russian oil, much of our oil is promised to make up for the shortfall in Europe since they do not want to pay in rubles. Biden said early on that we can all expect to suffer. He is delivering on his promises.

The only plus side is us oil burners are multiple steps ahead of electric cars since they have a burn, generate, distribution, and charge, steps that we don't have.
compared my power bill to 2020 $80, 2021 $94.59, 2022 $157.7 same time period; I used more kWh in 2021
My average monthly billing continues to rise :mad:

jesse3638

Hooked
compared my power bill to 2020 $80, 2021 $94.59, 2022 $157.7 same time period; I used more kWh in 2021
My average monthly billing continues to rise :mad:
Same here. Mine has doubled plus I’m the last two years.
I went to solar about 6 months ago. I put the largest system I could on my roof. My loan is a great rate and $100 a month cheaper over my average previous electric bills. Now I've yet to have an electric bill as I over generate. It'll pay itself off in about 8-10 years. With all the rising rates it was time to go this route. I went through Costco and am really happy with it so far.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I went to solar about 6 months ago. I put the largest system I could on my roof. My loan is a great rate and $100 a month cheaper over my average previous electric bills. Now I've yet to have an electric bill as I over generate. It'll pay itself off in about 8-10 years. With all the rising rates it was time to go this route. I went through Costco and am really happy with it so far.
Lol it’s evident you got suckered in by this whole post. $100 a month cheaper is not paying for itself in 8-10 years.

If average solar purchase price is $20,000 and your bill is $100 cheaper that would take 200 months to break even which is 16.5 years. Just because you might pay your loan off in 8-10 years doesn’t mean it pays for itself. And those numbers don’t include the interest rate that you are paying as well. Your math needs a little work.

jeeeep

Hooked
I got a quote from Costco, wasn't worth it, adding hail protection increased the overall cost to nah...

jesse3638

Hooked
Lol it’s evident you got suckered in by this whole post. $100 a month cheaper is not paying for itself in 8-10 years.

If average solar purchase price is $20,000 and your bill is $100 cheaper that would take 200 months to break even which is 16.5 years. Just because you might pay your loan off in 8-10 years doesn’t mean it pays for itself. And those numbers don’t include the interest rate that you are paying as well. Your math needs a little work.
Well if you take the 26% tax credit plus other incentives included also at 1.49% interest. Add on the upwards of 17% increase in the SCE rate hikes it'll be down around 10 years and I'll still be paying on my loan but not paying for electricity. Also the added home value when I sell in a few years. I don't plan on staying in this fucked up state until I break even...haha. Either way I come out ahead. I was a huge opponent of solar and the cost but really looking at it and breaking it down it was win for me. Not for everyone and getting into a lease or PPA is just stupid. Also "saving the planet" was not a feel good moment for me. My peasily 9.75kwh system isn't doing a damn thing for green energy except saving me money. But better hurry because the electric companies are trying to pass a bill which would make it not worth it in CA. Utilities are such a racket anyway.

jesse3638

Hooked
And if the power goes out, solar is worthless unless you have a battery backup.. so there goes another 10-20k
Yep that's why I opted out of that. If I could habe went totally self sufficient with it then maybe.
I love it when people who have financed solar go to sell their homes and freak out when they realize the solar company has a second deed of trust and gets paid from the proceeds of the sale.
Yeah my plan is to sell and move out of CA in the next 5 years. I don't plan on paying off my solar loan before that and would use my proceeds to pay it off at the time of sale. Hence the added value as my listing would say "Paid off solar". So its not really a big deal as I knew that going in. The even better part is when people lease or get into a PPA. Try getting a prospective buyer to take over that. Now there is a big "fuck that!". Not only are you going to end up paying for the system you didn't even get the tax credit.

jesse3638

Hooked
Seriously? Fuck that.
It's not a big deal if you know that going in. I know I'll have to pay it off at the time of my sale. This is why you add it into the listing price of your home. In CA a paid for system can add anywhere between $3000-$6000 per kw of the system. Mine is 9.75kw. You do the math...haha. It's very easy to not know what your getting into though. Sad thing is my coworker who just moved to Southern UT pays less than half for electricity as what we pay in CA. Utilities are a wild world. Don't even get me started on water...haha.

Top Bottom