Fishing Jeepers...Post Up Your Pics

run2jeepn

Caught the Bug
My youngest son and I do some fishing. I target pretty much everything, but trout.

Son caught this black tip on an old ugly stick and Vintage Daiwa GS-6 Spinning Reel
39R2g.jpg

39R2j.jpg

My first black tip
39R2k.jpg

His first paddlefish from last year
39R2m.jpg

My kayak set up. Adding Trolling motor this winter. Also building a trailer for it with 33's on it
39R2e.jpg

39R2f.jpg

75lbs
39R2c.jpg

39R2d

Underestimated the size of my catch today..lol
39R2h.jpg

39R2i.jpg

run2jeepn

Caught the Bug
Paddlefish is a prehistoric animal...do you eat the roe?...which river?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I love the meat, but I haven't tried any roe. Going to deep fry some this spring though. I always have a hard time just trashing the eggs. When I know what they are worth. Those posted above were from the James River.

Brute

Hooked
IMG_7393.jpg

It was cold enough that my hands stopped working after awhile...put half a dozen fish in the net, but would have landed more if I could get my fingers to grip the line to strip as a few nice bows ran at the boat

Brute

Hooked
Nice bows! I’ve been there steel head fishing over here in the spring. Ice in the guides!

How’s the 6 running with the new tank?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I'm loving it...no longer worried about where the next gas station is.

The steelhead returns here on the OP have been dismal, with river closures and new restrictions changing weekly...I'm going to wait for the summer run so as not to add pressure to the fishery. In the meantime, it's cutts & bows in the couple rivers that are open all year long to trout. I learned to wiggle the guides in the river to free the ice in the guides, something I never had to do in Hawaii.

Just picked up a Winston Air Salt 8wt to fish for bones in Tetrairoa (near Tahiti) in Sept...avg bone is about 8 lbs, with 12 pounders not uncommon.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I'm loving it...no longer worried about where the next gas station is.

The steelhead returns here on the OP have been dismal, with river closures and new restrictions changing weekly...I'm going to wait for the summer run so as not to add pressure to the fishery. In the meantime, it's cutts & bows in the couple rivers that are open all year long to trout. I learned to wiggle the guides in the river to free the ice in the guides, something I never had to do in Hawaii.

Just picked up a Winston Air Salt 8wt to fish for bones in Tetrairoa (near Tahiti) in Sept...avg bone is about 8 lbs, with 12 pounders not uncommon.

That’s just massive! I can see the rooster tail coming off the line from here. It’s going to be insane.

For sure, just laying the rod down stream and letting the water run thru it is the only way to keep casting.

Glad to hear you can see past the last station!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Brute

Hooked
[emoji106][emoji106]
I miss tying flies and rigging up my kit. I should dig out the vise and find a place for it. Stashed it in a box a move or two ago and have no clue where it’s at now. lol

That is the next phase for me...tying flies. I remember tying simple white flies from nylon rope fibers 40 years ago to catch menpachi at night in Hawaii, putting a drop of red nail polish on the thread near the head...looking into getting a real vise and finding a spot where my wife won’t “clean up” after me...

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
That is the next phase for me...tying flies. I remember tying simple white flies from nylon rope fibers 40 years ago to catch menpachi at night in Hawaii, putting a drop of red nail polish on the thread near the head...looking into getting a real vise and finding a spot where my wife won’t “clean up” after me...

Nice! Some of my friends still do something like this. They strip 550 cord and use the interior strands, then tie in small chem sticks for menpachi. Works every time.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Brute

Hooked
Nice! Some of my friends still do something like this. They strip 550 cord and use the interior strands, then tie in small chem sticks for menpachi. Works every time.

We used to fish for menpachi, akule & opelu all night after diving all day, sleeping in our wetsuits...after peeling them off, I’d look like a prune...we would also tie in some glow beads on occasion, depending on the moon

Sharkey

Word Ninja

My brother used to “borrow” hair from our retriever (she has long since passed) for dry flies for trout. I swear her hair naturally repelled water and worked great...or at least it seemed so to 10-year-old me.

Brute

Hooked
My brother used to “borrow” hair from our retriever (she has long since passed) for dry flies for trout. I swear her hair naturally repelled water and worked great...or at least it seemed so to 10-year-old me.

Squirrel and rabbit fur is common to use in flies, as well as deer & elk hair...why not retrievers?

Top Bottom