CARNAGE!! Let's See Your Best Breaks & Trail Damage

SHHHWAY

Thx and everyone was good,, not something I plan on doing again,, it was totally avoidable as there was a much better re-entry point just 50 feet ahead!!!! Lesson for me,, when in doubt, walk it! Been out quite a bit since doing John Bull, Cleghorn, Gold Mountain, Rock Mountain, Holcolmb, and Dishpan,, just a bad line decision that didn't pay off! Also a lesson in airing down too much without beadlocks, they make em for a reason!

Sent from my SM-N950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Trail JK

Good question, I took the pic right after it happened. My wife had some better ones.
Not a technical spot just re-entered way off camber and when the tire popped the bead it was a slow motion roll. It was the first time we had done this trail, I'll find the name,,, pretty stupid and avoidable!!!! Needless to say I now get out and walk all new trails or obstacles[emoji15]

Sent from my SM-N950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Cleghorn?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Wait a minute, everyone on the forums say they run the factory shafts, wheel hard and not have any problems?? Wtf? :)

Skimming through this aged thread, saw this... I hear this occasionally as well. Normally goes along the lines of, "I'm running 37s, have pushed it hard for years, never had a problem." Or, the other variant, "you can run [insert favorite oversize tire here] w/o a lift." I just smile :).

Just moving to 33s, there's a very subtle impact on acceleration, but if you're paying attention, it's there. I cannot imagine living full time with 35s, let alone 37+, w/o regearing. That's the other fun topic. 37s, nah, no need to regear.

WJCO

Meme King
Dropped off a ledge harder than I planned and put a nice dent in the gas tank skid. I'll definitely be fixing that this winter.

0929181608.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
At least it happened on the trail and not a dent in the fender being wrenched on in the garage. Glad to see you got out before the white stuff. How did the rig do?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Did great. Felt really good to be out again. No issues at all other than a little undercarriage scraping.

This past August I Snapped my rear driver side axle on the Rubicon Trail. The same exact obstacle Eddie damaged is JL. The axle broke a couple of inches from the ARB locker which damaged the locker also. My buddy towed me to Rubicon Springs because someone in group had a spare axle. That’s when I learned none rubicon rear 44s don’t have the same axles in the rear.lol. The next day we left the wives at camp and wheeled out of the trail to Tahoe spent half the day trying to find axles and locker. Ended up getting everything from Sierra Gear and Axle close to Sacramento. Made it back to the trail head around 7 at night and wheeled Cadillac at night. Made it back to Rubicon springs at 10pm. Spent the next day putting it together. We finished around 3. Then we had to wait at the bottom of Cadillac because Jeep had about 20 JL coming down with the press driving them. It was cool to see all the deferent JL. The goal was to just get it out of the trail and send to a shop. But wants we got it out on pavement it drove fine. Ended up driving it all the way home to SoCal with no problem. Took it to a shop when I got home to have it looked over and we were a bit off on the shims. IMG_0461.jpg IMG_0463.jpg IMG_0455.jpg IMG_0479.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

This past August I Snapped my rear driver side axle on the Rubicon Trail. The same exact obstacle Eddie damaged is JL. The axle broke a couple of inches from the ARB locker which damaged the locker also. My buddy towed me to Rubicon Springs because someone in group had a spare axle. That’s when I learned none rubicon rear 44s don’t have the same axles in the rear.lol. The next day we left the wives at camp and wheeled out of the trail to Tahoe spent half the day trying to find axles and locker. Ended up getting everything from Sierra Gear and Axle close to Sacramento. Made it back to the trail head around 7 at night and wheeled Cadillac at night. Made it back to Rubicon springs at 10pm. Spent the next day putting it together. We finished around 3. Then we had to wait at the bottom of Cadillac because Jeep had about 20 JL coming down with the press driving them. It was cool to see all the deferent JL. The goal was to just get it out of the trail and send to a shop. But wants we got it out on pavement it drove fine. Ended up driving it all the way home to SoCal with no problem. Took it to a shop when I got home to have it looked over and we were a bit off on the shims. View attachment 314396 View attachment 314397 View attachment 314398 View attachment 314399

Nasty break but cool story. Glad you made it back home under your own power. This is the very reason I carry spare shafts with me on over night trips that are far from home. Granted a busted locker would be a different story.

jjlong

This past August I Snapped my rear driver side axle on the Rubicon Trail. The same exact obstacle Eddie damaged is JL. The axle broke a couple of inches from the ARB locker which damaged the locker also. My buddy towed me to Rubicon Springs because someone in group had a spare axle. That’s when I learned none rubicon rear 44s don’t have the same axles in the rear.lol. The next day we left the wives at camp and wheeled out of the trail to Tahoe spent half the day trying to find axles and locker. Ended up getting everything from Sierra Gear and Axle close to Sacramento. Made it back to the trail head around 7 at night and wheeled Cadillac at night. Made it back to Rubicon springs at 10pm. Spent the next day putting it together. We finished around 3. Then we had to wait at the bottom of Cadillac because Jeep had about 20 JL coming down with the press driving them. It was cool to see all the deferent JL. The goal was to just get it out of the trail and send to a shop. But wants we got it out on pavement it drove fine. Ended up driving it all the way home to SoCal with no problem. Took it to a shop when I got home to have it looked over and we were a bit off on the shims. View attachment 314396 View attachment 314397 View attachment 314398 View attachment 314399

Let's try to not to do that ever again!

Last edited:

longarmwj

Went wheeling at a place called Adventure Offroad Park in South Pittsburg Tennessee last Saturday. Ended up doing a trail called George Winter, and it is by far the hardest trail I’ve ever had my JK on. For open/open on stock gears and 37s, it impressed the piss outta me. It wasn’t without sacrifice though. All four wheels as well as the skid plates, a rear shock, and my drag link/tie rod saw some loving.
IMG_4628.jpg
IMG_4629.jpg
IMG_4630.jpg
IMG_4631.jpg
IMG_4632.jpg
IMG_4634.jpg
IMG_4635.jpg
IMG_4633.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom