CARNAGE!! Let's See Your Best Breaks & Trail Damage

Bear_JT

Hooked
As some of you know I had a failure this last weekend out in Death Valley. Luckily enough the actual failure happened back on pavement and I was able to get a tow back to the shop.. View attachment 339842

Now the shop has got it opened up and this is what they found. View attachment 339844 View attachment 339843

After seeing this I asked for pictures of the bolts thinking maybe they didn't use loctite on the bolts. This morning I received a call first thing from the shop. There was only one bolt inside the diff... The last time that cover was off was two years ago when they installed the gears..

They are replacing everything on their dime.. As it should be of course.
The thing that really amazes me is I ran for two years on lots of difficult trails from Rubicon to Moab to Johnson Valley and most everything in between on one bolt in the ring gear.

That’s amazing one bolt held up as long as it did.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

JKbrick

As some of you know I had a failure this last weekend out in Death Valley. Luckily enough the actual failure happened back on pavement and I was able to get a tow back to the shop.. View attachment 339842

Now the shop has got it opened up and this is what they found. View attachment 339844 View attachment 339843

After seeing this I asked for pictures of the bolts thinking maybe they didn't use loctite on the bolts. This morning I received a call first thing from the shop. There was only one bolt inside the diff... The last time that cover was off was two years ago when they installed the gears..

They are replacing everything on their dime.. As it should be of course.
The thing that really amazes me is I ran for two years on lots of difficult trails from Rubicon to Moab to Johnson Valley and most everything in between on one bolt in the ring gear.

Am glad that even at a cost to them they were honest with you

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
That’s amazing one bolt held up as long as it did.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

That's what is so surprising to me. I know people that say it's impossible for that to happen but...:idontknow:

Am glad that even at a cost to them they were honest with you

I've got a good relationship with this Service manager.. First thing this morning he went to take pics of the bolts for me.. He called as soon as he saw it and offered to pay for everything.

I'm curious if the bolt had loctite on it?

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app
Still don't know about that.. I'm going to push for the front to be opened up and the bolts pulled and loctited and re torqued

What the broken piece of the carrier still bolted to the ring gear? If so, it’s a testament to the strength of those bolts.

That's the only thing that was holding it
I think it not breaking earlier is testament to Dons Graceful driving skills... [emoji23]
:brows::brows:

Rst8rox

CARNAGE!! Let's See Your Best Breaks & Trail Damage

Holy shit!! Which Jeep and how did you do that?

Well Ford,

Just kidding Matt, sucks it broke

Rst8rox’s first rear axle and the reason for putting the 1tons in that I’m running now.

It happen snow wheeling a few years back, V8,40’s & going just tooooo hard on a hill climb. Link arm bent & pinion angle changed enough that the cv bound up at redline during the 1,2 shift lol!

Carnage at crawl event hosted by my club. Was an expensive day. Lost the ujoint, then the axle shaft and then the ball joints. Was surrounded by great friends to help me out and get it back down to the staging area (using a log as a skid 😂) and ready for a tow the following day.

Got replacement ball joints here tomorrow so I can get her back on the road. Contacted Jeremy about a new chromoly axle shaft so hopefully that’ll work out.

EA58FCBE-F86B-420E-91DD-0B10A7337787.jpeg 9E44F6C2-BF56-4A77-A9F5-7AEDE748B715.jpeg F96EB01F-BA02-4EDC-9D5E-12742598A945.jpeg 500C7C97-3E04-416F-833B-76D0ECEAFD64.jpeg 8AC343A5-06D9-4740-AD32-F85E43975BD3.jpeg ED3DA077-CD26-4C95-BE00-4E6CE897A09D.jpeg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Carnage at crawl event hosted by my club. Was an expensive day. Lost the ujoint, then the axle shaft and then the ball joints. Was surrounded by great friends to help me out and get it back down to the staging area (using a log as a skid 😂) and ready for a tow the following day.

Got replacement ball joints here tomorrow so I can get her back on the road. Contacted Jeremy about a new chromoly axle shaft so hopefully that’ll work out.

View attachment 381282 View attachment 381283 View attachment 381284 View attachment 381285 View attachment 381287 View attachment 381286
Holy hell, that sucks. Glad you were with friends that could help you off the trail. Hope you get things fixed soon.

Hell yeah! (But really hell no) Been a while since I've seen a tree wheel drive Jeep!

Jsouder53

Hooked

Sorry to see that happened! I’m glad that you had friends there to help you off the trail!

Top Bottom