Best roll cage?

Gecko13

Hi all, I’ve been shopping roll cages and I’m looking for something to offer protection invade of a roll or flop. Genright looks the best but really expensive and you loose pretty much all the plastic and speakers etc.Are the rockhard and poison spyder cages strong enough if you were to roll a couple times?

MericaMade

Genright hands down.....the RockHard is alright but I wouldn't recommend it.

My buddies have the Posion Spyder and to me provide more strength. The leg to the floor is a nice added benefit.

The rockhard is easy to install but there design puts to much pressure on the A pillars causing major wind noise I can't stand.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, even if you're planning to cartwheel your Jeep 4 times at 75 mph, ANY bolt on cage will do a decent job of keeping you safe. Anyone who would suggest otherwise clearly has NEVER seen a good roll before and has no real experience to be giving you advice. The factory roll bar alone will do just fine to protect you from a flop and even a basic roll on the rocks.

And yes, I have personally seen everything I have just described first hand.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Genright hands down.....the RockHard is alright but I wouldn't recommend it.

My buddies have the Posion Spyder and to me provide more strength. The leg to the floor is a nice added benefit.

The rockhard is easy to install but there design puts to much pressure on the A pillars causing major wind noise I can't stand.
I have no experience with Genright but it looks like a good cage. I have installed a Poison Spyder and it squeaked like a banshee. Drove me nuts. I've installed a few Rock Hard cages and thought they were fine. Didn't have any issues with pressure on the a-pillar and had no wind noise. The welds do look like toothpaste though and I wasn't thrilled with the finish but overall, I was happy enough with it. I have seen it after multiple rolls and it held up great.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Eddie’s spot on. While I haven’t witnessed roll like he had with a rock hard cage in it, the factory cages are designed to protect you in the event there is a high speed roll over. The bolt in cages do a very good job strengthening the A pillar locations which are the weakest point at the windshield.

I agree that the poison spider is a better cage over the rock hard. I got lucky and found an EVO cage which I think looks the cleanest of the bolt in cages, but they are no longer available. If you are looking to do it “right” and have a true race style cage, the genright is the best way out there in my opinion.

MericaMade

I have no experience with Genright but it looks like a good cage. I have installed a Poison Spyder and it squeaked like a banshee. Drove me nuts. I've installed a few Rock Hard cages and thought they were fine. Didn't have any issues with pressure on the a-pillar and had no wind noise. The welds do look like toothpaste though and I wasn't thrilled with the finish but overall, I was happy enough with it. I have seen it after multiple rolls and it held up great.
I read about that on the poison spyder and was why I went with the rock hard. After I installed my RH4x4 my buddy cut the factory bracket pillar that bolts to the windshield of the stock cage and welded that onto the Poison Spyder A pillar. That allowed him to actually bolt the pillar to the windshield. He said it took care of a lot of the squeaking and movement separation between the cage and the windshield.

I feel the RH4x4 cage is plenty strong just wish I could get rid of the wind tunnel. It's less annoying now with the softtop because I hear more regardless.

Jkratt

Hands down the genright cage. B pillar delete and half doors. Just like that thousands gone. one of my many Jeep dreams.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I read about that on the poison spyder and was why I went with the rock hard. After I installed my RH4x4 my buddy cut the factory bracket pillar that bolts to the windshield of the stock cage and welded that onto the Poison Spyder A pillar. That allowed him to actually bolt the pillar to the windshield. He said it took care of a lot of the squeaking and movement separation between the cage and the windshield.

I feel the RH4x4 cage is plenty strong just wish I could get rid of the wind tunnel. It's less annoying now with the softtop because I hear more regardless.
Okay, I could totally see how with some modifications, the PS cage would be better.

Not sure what problem you're having with the RH cage. I wonder if it's a year thing. Moby is an 07 and I have nothing like you're describing. I did have it on Rubicat as well though and she was a 12 and don't recall anything like that either. Granted, I swapped in an EVO cage soon after but mainly because the dash bar dove me nuts and Cindy had a hard time seeing over it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With all that said, I no longer have any desires to run a cage of any make. After doing this Jeep thing for as long as I have, I've yet to see where one was actually needed. And yes, I'm just a mall crawler.

MericaMade

Okay, I could totally see how with some modifications, the PS cage would be better.

Not sure what problem you're having with the RH cage. I wonder if it's a year thing. Moby is an 07 and I have nothing like you're describing. I did have it on Rubicat as well though and she was a 12 and don't recall anything like that either. Granted, I swapped in an EVO cage soon after but mainly because the dash bar dove me nuts and Cindy had a hard time seeing over it.
It pulled the A pillars in and created a pretty good wind gap right at the corner, mostly my fauly but I feel they could make the crossbars a little longer so the cage doesn't pull inwards so much.I tried weather strip and actually made it worst. Unfortunately, I found out it was a common issue after install.The only way I can get rid of the noise is running tape over the entire seal at the header and that looked like shit so wind noise it is lol.

Yeah, my wife complains about the bar as well but loves the grab handles and section over my child so she got seat risers. If I had to do it again I would pick the PS over HR.

It's nice to hear the confidence in the stock cage.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It pulled the A pillars in and created a pretty good wind gap right at the corner, mostly my fauly but I feel they could make the crossbars a little longer so the cage doesn't pull inwards so much.I tried weather strip and actually made it worst. Unfortunately, I found out it was a common issue after install.The only way I can get rid of the noise is running tape over the entire seal at the header and that looked like shit so wind noise it is lol.

Yeah, my wife complains about the bar as well but loves the grab handles and section over my child so she got seat risers. If I had to do it again I would pick the PS over HR.

It's nice to hear the confidence in the stock cage.
Well that sucks. I installed an OR-FAB cage on Nemo and now that I think about it, it had the same problem. Only way to fix it was with tape. I hated it.

Gecko13

Thanks for all the replies. I feel like the genright is overkill as I do t do any high speed desert driving, but I will have my family with me and don’t want to skimp of their safety. In most cases if something were to go wrong it would result in 1 maybe 2 flops but hopefully none at all. I guess I’m feeling guilty spending more than 5 times that amount on axles/suspension but squeaking on a 5k cage

Brute

Hooked
I've got a pair of Poison Spyder cages with Rock Hard harness bars. Yup, they are noisy; fortunately, I like loud music...and don't drive like I might get into a roll situation...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the replies. I feel like the genright is overkill as I do t do any high speed desert driving, but I will have my family with me and don’t want to skimp of their safety. In most cases if something were to go wrong it would result in 1 maybe 2 flops but hopefully none at all. I guess I’m feeling guilty spending more than 5 times that amount on axles/suspension but squeaking on a 5k cage
You're a victim of the internet. Everyone and their mother is a badass and they'll all go on and on about what you need. Of course, the reality of things is that flops don't happen nearly as often as some would suggest and a sport cage is completely unnecessary to protect you from one. A simple roll is even more rare and again, a factory roll bar WILL protect you should a roll occur. As mentioned, Jeep designs their roll bars to withstand significantly greater forces such as a high speed roll, just as any vehicle with a roof is required to withstand. If it really concerns you and you're determined to add in more protection, I still stand by what I originally said, ANY bolt on sport cage will help improve the strength of your already strong factory roll bar.

Harness.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Certainly wouldn't hurt but I think a standard seatbelt gets the job done well enough for most situations, especially if you teach yourself and your passengers to keep their hands inside the vehicle. The instinct to reach out as a Jeep tips is strong and it is hard not to do but every injury I've seen from basic flops or simple rolls have all been to the hands and for this reason.

Top Bottom