Best roll cage?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a clip of the stars and stripes EVO JL on the first JLX. As you can see, we were playing on obstacles that could have easily ended very badly but for some reason, Mel, a guy who knows a thing or two about cages, wasn't running a cage.

Hmmm :unsure:

Certainly wouldn't hurt but I think a standard seatbelt gets the job done well enough for most situations, especially if you teach yourself and your passengers to keep their hands inside the vehicle. The instinct to reach out as a Jeep tips is strong and it is hard not to do but every injury I've seen from basic flops or simple rolls have all been to the hands and for this reason.
Agreed. I like them for the sudden bumps. I’m 6’ in a tj though. lol. Been lucky to be soft top when I went too high.

TonyT

Caught the Bug
Those guys are spot on with the comments about the strength factory cage. I put a Genright cage in my Jeep the year before last and it's an eye-opener how thick that metal is that's used on the OEM cages.

I got the cage because my JK is 12 years old and I don't typically have the top or doors on, so my seats, seatbelts and cage trim needed replaced. On the cage the padding and material was faded, torn, dirty, scratched or just broken in areas. My seat belts didn't retract consistantly or would randomly lock up, and the seatbelt indicator was intermittent even with the driver's belt buckled.

The Genright install was about as simple as they could make it. At the time, most fab shops charged about 10hours labor for just the welding of the cage. Including Genright, who will weld it up and ship it to you ready to drop in (8 week wait depending on how many projects are ahead of you.) I bought a Miller 211 and accessories for about $1500 and my buddy and I spent a few days in my garage getting it done. Pulled it out for final welding (and grinding.) Powdercoating was $180. and dropped it back in. Fun project for sure.

The B-Pillar chop is nice. You certainly don't have to do it, but its a noticeable difference not having the B-pillar in my eye-line when I look over.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I did the Genright cage and am happy with it. It is more invasive in the cabin than any other option I’ve seen but I like the look and feel of it. It’s a decent amount of work to install and more so since I did it solo. I was able to get almost all the trim back in (with lots of notching) including the sound bar.

Attachments

• AE465349-ABAA-441F-A98D-8592E30B02BA.jpeg
    AE465349-ABAA-441F-A98D-8592E30B02BA.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 33
  • B6FFD782-82B6-4AB6-B8CA-C35103528256.jpeg
    B6FFD782-82B6-4AB6-B8CA-C35103528256.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 65E647DA-0C30-42AF-A944-EAC5833A01A1.jpeg
    65E647DA-0C30-42AF-A944-EAC5833A01A1.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 61B26E73-0762-45A2-828D-9EF9A9150FB2.jpeg
    61B26E73-0762-45A2-828D-9EF9A9150FB2.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 34

The BAD Influence

I've only witnessed a Jeep roll on the freeway. A truck came through the median and went head on into another truck. The lady driving the Jeep swerved to miss the trucks but clipped the rear, which sent her rolling into the ditch. She rolled several times and ended upside down. Her and her daughter, were wearing seat belts. They only sustained bumps and bruises. The stock cage protected them during multiple rolls at freeway speeds.

Sorry, not trusting pool noodles for my noggin. Get the stuff thats made for roll bars and is certified for roll bar use. (y)
If your head is that close to getting nailed by the cage then foam ain’t gonna help ya, it’s meant to stop bumps not save you.

Ddays

Hooked
If your head is that close to getting nailed by the cage then foam ain’t gonna help ya, it’s meant to stop bumps not save you.

Cracking your skull or a big ass bruise 🤔

I think I'll trust my made for roll bar padding over a Walmart pool noodle.

thombull

I've only witnessed a Jeep roll on the freeway. A truck came through the median and went head on into another truck. The lady driving the Jeep swerved to miss the trucks but clipped the rear, which sent her rolling into the ditch. She rolled several times and ended upside down. Her and her daughter, were wearing seat belts. They only sustained bumps and bruises. The stock cage protected them during multiple rolls at freeway speeds.
From working a couple of years at the Coroner's office and then almost 20 years as a police officer, I seen a few accidents in that time involving jeeps...one comes to mind where the solo driver was just getting on the fwy, went over the side of the on ramp and onto the roof...the the windshield frame smashed inward hitting him in the head and killed him. This was at relatively slow speeds, so I think what it comes down to is the old saying, what is your and your families lifes worth? Kinda like a motorcycle rider going to purchase a helmet...sure there's cheaper ones available, but for a couple hundred dollars more...might mean the difference of staying alive...forget about what the jeeps going to look like after it rolls...any crash you can walk away from is a win...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From working a couple of years at the Coroner's office and then almost 20 years as a police officer, I seen a few accidents in that time involving jeeps...one comes to mind where the solo driver was just getting on the fwy, went over the side of the on ramp and onto the roof...the the windshield frame smashed inward hitting him in the head and killed him. This was at relatively slow speeds, so I think what it comes down to is the old saying, what is your and your families lifes worth? Kinda like a motorcycle rider going to purchase a helmet...sure there's cheaper ones available, but for a couple hundred dollars more...might mean the difference of staying alive...forget about what the jeeps going to look like after it rolls...any crash you can walk away from is a win...
What year was the Jeep?

Top Bottom