Best roll cage?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How much better is the poison spyder weld in cage over the bolt on version from poison spyder or rockhard?
LOL - Please define "better". You've already said that you don't plan on wadding up your Jeep bombing across the desert so what exactly is it that you're needing a cage to do for you?

Fury22

Another thing to think about is what state do you want the jeep to be in after a roll/flip/flop? Maybe a stock cage will protect you from one roll, but are you going to rebuild the jeep after? The "cage" will most likely be compromised, b pillar bent, and as with even any cage the windshield totaled. With something like the genright cage you more than likely just brush it off and keep going. So in that instance you either pay up front with a quality cage or pay after to rebuild the stock one or put a new one in...

Roll overs may be "rare" but that is subjective...some may never hear of any, as where I saw 2 pretty bad ones last weekend that happened to prominent wheelers...some roll over situations are obvious, some are not. So i believe it depends alot on how and what you wheel...if you are not always doing to hardest trails/obstacles you can find and really pushing yourself to the edge, then sure the stock cage will probably suffice.

Ddays

Hooked
Certainly wouldn't hurt but I think a standard seatbelt gets the job done well enough for most situations, especially if you teach yourself and your passengers to keep their hands inside the vehicle. The instinct to reach out as a Jeep tips is strong and it is hard not to do but every injury I've seen from basic flops or simple rolls have all been to the hands and for this reason.
100% this. ^^ There was a really nasty accident in Moab a couple years ago where a woman stuck her hand out as the vehicle rolled. The result was ghastly. I get the willies even thinking about that one.....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Another thing to think about is what state do you want the jeep to be in after a roll/flip/flop? Maybe a stock cage will protect you from one roll, but are you going to rebuild the jeep after? The "cage" will most likely be compromised, b pillar bent, and as with even any cage the windshield totaled. With something like the genright cage you more than likely just brush it off and keep going. So in that instance you either pay up front with a quality cage or pay after to rebuild the stock one or put a new one in...

Roll overs may be "rare" but that is subjective...some may never hear of any, as where I saw 2 pretty bad ones last weekend that happened to prominent wheelers...some roll over situations are obvious, some are not. So i believe it depends alot on how and what you wheel...if you are not always doing to hardest trails/obstacles you can find and really pushing yourself to the edge, then sure the stock cage will probably suffice.
To clarify, a stock roll bar will almost always suffice in protecting you and in spite of how hard the trail or obstacle is or how much of a badass you are. As you pointed out, the difference is what state do you want your Jeep to be in after a roll/flip/flop. But to that point, I have seen flops where next to no damage was done to a Jeep and I have seen significant damage done to things like the b-pillar and body, even with a good weld in cage installed. But hey, that's just me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
100% this. ^^ There was a really nasty accident in Moab a couple years ago where a woman stuck her hand out as the vehicle rolled. The result was ghastly. I get the willies even thinking about that one.....
Instincts is a bitch and getting people to keep their hands inside a Jeep is a tough thing to teach and remember.

Fury22

To clarify, a stock roll bar will almost always suffice in protecting you and in spite of how hard the trail or obstacle is or how much of a badass you are. As you pointed out, the difference is what state do you want your Jeep to be in after a roll/flip/flop. But to that point, I have seen flops where next to no damage was done to a Jeep and I have seen significant damage done to things like the b-pillar and body, even with a good weld in cage installed. But hey, that's just me.
Correct, i did not mean to imply that a jeep with a weld in cage would escape unscathed haha. I did imply a b pillar chop though, so my bad

Gecko13

That is true, good point!

Gecko13

LOL - Please define "better". You've already said that you don't plan on wadding up your Jeep bombing across the desert so what exactly is it that you're needing a cage to do for you?
Better meaning it might not collapse as easy being it ties into the tub better.??No offense but I have a hard time believing that the factory roll bars can withstand a multiple rollover on a 6k lb rig. There just isn’t much too it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Better meaning it might not collapse as easy being it ties into the tub better.??No offense but I have a hard time believing that the factory roll bars can withstand a multiple rollover on a 6k lb rig. There just isn’t much too it.
LOL - none taken. Unlike you, I don't have to rely on imagination. I can go off of what I have personally seen. There just isn't much more to it. But, you can believe whatever it is you choose to believe (y)

CalSgt

Hooked
Instincts is a bitch and getting people to keep their hands inside a Jeep is a tough thing to teach and remember.
In the SXS world they sell tethers that keep passengers from being able to stick their hands out. One end is fixed to the grab bar and there is a short strap that goes up to your wrist

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In the SXS world they sell tethers that keep passengers from being able to stick their hands out. One end is fixed to the grab bar and there is a short strap that goes up to your wrist
Yup, depending on where you are, you know who's driving a rental. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have them on Jeeps too.

WJCO

Meme King
All the real badasses just run buggies now because they're too cool and hardcore for Jeeps. That's always an option too. If you can throw around the word 'buggy,' then you've arrived.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
All the real badasses just run buggies now because they're too cool and hardcore for Jeeps. That's always an option too. If you can throw around the word 'buggy,' then you've arrived.
:ROFLMAO: I'm pretty sure they have their cages welded to the tub too (y)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, here's a shot of Mel rolling EVO 1 during a King of the Hammers race...

Clearly, someone who knows how to make a proper cage and has put it to the test on a race course.

To this day, he still does NOT have a cage of any kind in the JL that he had and gave to Harley, nor did he have one in his other JL that he sold, nor does he have one in his current Gladiator. I wonder why that is?

MericaMade

So, here's a shot of Mel rolling EVO 1 during a King of the Hammers race...

Clearly, someone who knows how to make a proper cage and has put it to the test on a race course.

To this day, he still does NOT have a cage of any kind in the JL that he had and gave to Harley, nor did he have one in his other JL that he sold, nor does he have one in his current Gladiator. I wonder why that is?
Maybe there on backorder LOL.

Damn that cross pillar bent pretty good.

Top Bottom