ANOTHER WINDSHIELD Bites the Dust - What Number are You On?

MericaMade

Might be easier to just have a body shop clean things up.
If you're still determined to replace the windshield, I found a few in Rialto and Sun Valley, CA that range from $600-$850. Granted, they most likely would need to be painted to match your Jeep so that cost will need to be worked in.

Perfect, I work in Rialto did you find on CL or markeplace? Body shop might be the better option, but hell I have done all the work on my jeep so far so maybe I will give it a shot myself first.

Bierpower

Hooked
Da fuck! A truck in the opposite direction sprayed gravel all over me. At first, I thought that I came through it okay and thought these chips were wings from a bug. Then I took a closer look. Only 1440 miles on the odometer too! :rolleyes:

View attachment 367620
Had that same situation on Thursday. Luckily my windshield is already pretty beat up so it's not as bad.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
That sucks. Looks like a rough one.
So sucks that it's so unavoidable. Bummer.
Yea sad part was it probably could have been avoided. I was traveling south I-5 and was taking a detour route to get around traffic. When going down the road some asshole in a kia sole sped around me and peppered me with rocks. 🤬 Sadly it was too dark, rainy and he was going to fast to get his plate. I would of rather dealt with the traffic…

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
I have long maintained the belief that there are only two types of Jeep windshields: 1) cracked ones; and 2) brand new ones.

In the nearly two years I have been driving my 2012 JK I have had two rock strikes - both on the same two lane highway while traveling at 65 MPH and both from rocks thrown up by semis. Both strikes resulted in cracks below my line of sight; so I technically could have changed my windshield twice, but I am still running it. My goal is to try to figure out how to avoid cracks in the future before replacing the windshield. Hopefully this will be soon as the windshield is also pretty heavily pitted from blowing sand...

So far my thinking includes a three routes:
1. Add a bug and rock deflector and aim it appropriately with wedges - I am looking at the Weathertech option.
2. Toughen the windshield up by either going with Guerilla Glass or a vinyl windshield wrap like those applied to high end performance cars (e.g., Porsche).
3. Add a Gurney Flap made out of aluminum along the back parting line of the hood to provide one last bit of loft beyond the deflector on the front of the hood to try to push stones over the windshield. Probably overthinking it on this one, but that is what I do! I figured I would add this after seeing how much higher on the windshield the bug and rock deflector is able to move strikes. Given that I am getting them in the bottom 1/3 of the windshield; I have a lot of loft to add before getting the debri to miss the windshield altogether.

WJCO

Meme King
I have long maintained the belief that there are only two types of Jeep windshields: 1) cracked ones; and 2) brand new ones.

In the nearly two years I have been driving my 2012 JK I have had two rock strikes - both on the same two lane highway while traveling at 65 MPH and both from rocks thrown up by semis. Both strikes resulted in cracks below my line of sight; so I technically could have changed my windshield twice, but I am still running it. My goal is to try to figure out how to avoid cracks in the future before replacing the windshield. Hopefully this will be soon as the windshield is also pretty heavily pitted from blowing sand...

1. Add a bug and rock deflector and aim it appropriately with wedges - I am looking at the Weathertech option.
2. Toughen the windshield up by either going with Guerilla Glass or a vinyl windshield wrap like those applied to high end performance cars (e.g., Porsche).
3. Add a Gurney Flap made out of aluminum along the back parting line of the hood to provide one last bit of loft beyond the deflector on the front of the hood to try to push stones over the windshield. Probably overthinking it on this one, but that is what I do! I figured I would add this after seeing how much higher on the windshield the bug and rock deflector is able to move strikes. Given that I am getting them in the bottom 1/3 of the windshield; I have a lot of loft to add before getting the debri to miss the windshield altogether.
Option 4. Rocket launcher for vehicles in front of you.

trailraider

The gorilla glass will still chip, it just does not crack. but you can replace 4 for the price of one of those. I personally don't see the benefit for it with how expensive it is.

as for the bug deflector ( as that is all it really is) any stone that is going to do damage to your windshield will go through the air flow created by the deflector.

Have yet to see a Jeep with the 3M on the windshield yet, But I suspect once it starts to get the pitting from the dust and dirt it would be a nightmare in the winter to clean with the wipers.

JJ151

The gorilla glass will still chip, it just does not crack. but you can replace 4 for the price of one of those. I personally don't see the benefit for it with how expensive it is.

as for the bug deflector ( as that is all it really is) any stone that is going to do damage to your windshield will go through the air flow created by the deflector.

Have yet to see a Jeep with the 3M on the windshield yet, But I suspect once it starts to get the pitting from the dust and dirt it would be a nightmare in the winter to clean with the wipers.
I beg to differ that Gorilla Glass does not crack. I purchased a new 2021 JLUR with Gorilla Glass and it cracked just running the defroster. It was below freezing outside in the upper 20s and all of a sudden it just cracked. I’m still dumbfounded.
792819B1-8B2E-4675-89E6-83FE1856C1CA.jpeg

trailraider

I beg to differ that Gorilla Glass does not crack. I purchased a new 2021 JLUR with Gorilla Glass and it cracked just running the defroster. It was below freezing outside in the upper 20s and all of a sudden it just cracked. I’m still dumbfounded.
View attachment 370517
wow, that's a first . I have yet to see one crack. lots with chips , but never a crack. I would certainly take it in for warranty with that.

Top Bottom