ANOTHER WINDSHIELD Bites the Dust - What Number are You On?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Our insurance dropped our windshield coverage. We had multiple claims in a few months.
Oh, I can only imagine that would be the case with regular car insurance. What we got was insurance ONLY for windshields and you could only get it when buying the Jeep new. Hopefully they'll be good and take care of our 392 when it's needed.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So, I just don't get it. The windshield is designed to be folded down and I've done it to install my switch pros. The Jeep even comes with a cover that you put on the sensor when folded. Are these people saying that you have to recalibrate the damn sensor every time you do that? Because, I can tell you for a fact that I never recalibrated anything and my auto cruise still works fine. I call total bullshit on the need for it.
No it will auto recalibrate after driving above 35ish mph for a certain distance. Only manual calibrations are required after a windshield replacement or when the camera/module is replaced.

Brute

Hooked
When we picked up our 392 from Peterson's, I made sure to add windshield insurance. It's like $500 but totally worth it. I wish I had done this for our JT and Pippi especially since we got a rock strike on her with just 600 miles on the odometer. That said, as I was signing up for it, I noticed a pic of a broken windshield on the wall with the words "37 miles" on it. When I asked about it, the guy helping me said that it was sent to him from a customer who had Gorilla Glass. So, if you do get it, I would still recommend the insurance.

Yup, this ^^^
I did the same…and ordered Gorilla glass to boot. Replaced #4 on Brute a couple months ago, and took a rock strike on the way home after install…I have two small chips in it now…

Sharkey

Word Ninja
No it will auto recalibrate after driving above 35ish mph for a certain distance. Only manual calibrations are required after a windshield replacement or when the camera/module is replaced.
How does it know whether the windshield was replaced or just down?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
How does it know whether the windshield was replaced or just down?
Based off of glass thickness is how GM does it and what I most familiar with. GM glass must be used and once calibrated to the new glass thickness it will auto calibrate from there on out. this goes for module replacement and glass replacement.

I’m sure mopar has it so it disables when it isn’t able to see road lines via being folded down. Once in the up position it recalibrates itself.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Based off of glass thickness is how GM does it and what I most familiar with. GM glass must be used and once calibrated to the new glass thickness it will auto calibrate from there on out. this goes for module replacement and glass replacement.

I’m sure mopar has it so it disables when it isn’t able to see road lines via being folded down. Once in the up position it recalibrates itself.
One more thing I’m glad I didn’t get on my Gladiator.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Dafuq.

Have you driven with adaptive cruise? I’m never buying a new car without it.
I don’t use cruise control. Probably only used it once in my 36 years driving. We have adaptive on my daughter’s Audi and my wife’s new car will have it. It’s honestly not a feature I care about.

NV375

It is not just a jeep thing. I have an appointment for my van windshield on Wednesday. Caught a rock on the way to Drummond Island Michigan last spring. We originally tried to get Safelite to replace it. First we could not find a shop to get us in. Then last Fall when in Las Vegas a guy from Safelite showed up to our hotel and refused to work on the van unless I removed the lift. Safelite sucks. This local shop sounds like it could be good and I can get the van detailed at the same place.

Top Bottom