ANOTHER WINDSHIELD Bites the Dust - What Number are You On?

Sgt_USMC

The factory windshield lasted around 14 years on my TJ. Until somehow it got a massive spiderweb crack while it was parked! Looked like some idiot with a BB gun shot it or something like that. Cost me around $250 to have it done. I’m still on the second one now, but had a rock chip it about 3 days after it was put in.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone tried that Gorilla Glass? I’m considering it for the JT but damn is it pricey!!
When we picked up our 392 from Peterson's, I made sure to add windshield insurance. It's like $500 but totally worth it. I wish I had done this for our JT and Pippi especially since we got a rock strike on her with just 600 miles on the odometer. That said, as I was signing up for it, I noticed a pic of a broken windshield on the wall with the words "37 miles" on it. When I asked about it, the guy helping me said that it was sent to him from a customer who had Gorilla Glass. So, if you do get it, I would still recommend the insurance.
Yup, this ^^^

Has anyone tried that Gorilla Glass? I’m considering it for the JT but damn is it pricey!!
I’m wondering if mine is the gorilla glass. Taken many hits and nada. Need to check my window sticker.

Edit: after reading that thread, guess I’m just freakishly luck. Lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. And only a couple vendors offer the service to recalibrate besides the dealership. Sucks.
So, I just don't get it. The windshield is designed to be folded down and I've done it to install my switch pros. The Jeep even comes with a cover that you put on the sensor when folded. Are these people saying that you have to recalibrate the damn sensor every time you do that? Because, I can tell you for a fact that I never recalibrated anything and my auto cruise still works fine. I call total bullshit on the need for it.

So, I just don't get it. The windshield is designed to be folded down and I've done it to install my switch pros. The Jeep even comes with a cover that you put on the sensor when folded. Are these people saying that you have to recalibrate the damn sensor every time you do that? Because, I can tell you for a fact that I never recalibrated anything and my auto cruise still works fine. I call total bullshit on the need for it.
Yep. I don’t get it either. I also have folded it down numerous times to install a Switch-Pros and radio stuff. No issues.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. I don’t get it either. I also have folded it down numerous times to install a Switch-Pros and radio stuff. No issues.
Glad to hear you've done the same and without issues. Again, sounds like the charge is total BS. Have you tried contacting a local shop for a quote or are you doing this through your insurance? I always use a local shop and pay out of pocket and they've always been good to me. In fact, I just went in this morning to have the windshield on my Duramax replaced and because I am a regular, they gave me a nice discount. The windshield was supposed to be $250 but they only charged me $225.

Glad to hear you've done the same and without issues. Again, sounds like the charge is total BS. Have you tried contacting a local shop for a quote or are you doing this through your insurance? I always use a local shop and pay out of pocket and they've always been good to me. In fact, I just went in this morning to have the windshield on my Duramax replaced and because I am a regular, they gave me a nice discount. The windshield was supposed to be $250 but they only charged me $225.

Not using insurance. I will be paying out of pocket. It’s been a few months since I’ve looked into it. At the time safelight (besides the dealership) was the only place that had windshields available. One of the local guys told me to go to the dealer. 🤣

Sharkey

Word Ninja
When we picked up our 392 from Peterson's, I made sure to add windshield insurance. It's like $500 but totally worth it. I wish I had done this for our JT and Pippi especially since we got a rock strike on her with just 600 miles on the odometer. That said, as I was signing up for it, I noticed a pic of a broken windshield on the wall with the words "37 miles" on it. When I asked about it, the guy helping me said that it was sent to him from a customer who had Gorilla Glass. So, if you do get it, I would still recommend the insurance.

Yup, this ^^^
Our insurance dropped our windshield coverage. We had multiple claims in a few months.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not using insurance. I will be paying out of pocket. It’s been a few months since I’ve looked into it. At the time safelight (besides the dealership) was the only place that had windshields available. One of the local guys told me to go to the dealer. 🤣
Ah, didn't even think about whether or not a shop could get them. I sure hope mine can because I know I'll be needing to replace the one on my Gladiator soon. I get that on a regular car or truck with adaptive cruise this might be needed but on a Jeep, that's just stupid.

Top Bottom