6.2L Gen V LT Gladiator - Would You be Interested?

MericaMade

I must have watched 20 videos on the LT now from Motech including the one on Moby and have a much better understanding of the LT platform and wow it sounds nice.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If I had a gladiator i was running 40’s or larger on I would so be down for an LT swap. I would probably grab the newer 10 speed out of the newer trucks. That new trans is much better drivability wise than the 8 speed IMO.

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
I should note that it's been 115 to 120 and we've been pushing Moby HARD. We have ZERO heat issues even with the AC on, climbing hills and doing 80. In those conditions, we're only seeing 228-230 coolant and 180 on trans. (y)
I know I haven’t been on for a minute but is there a video of this MOBY in action. Lol
also this is a good read thread!

Last edited by a moderator:

WJCO

Meme King
As far as power goes,

I should note that we've actually been kicking around the idea of converting Moby's L86/LT1 into a LT4. If we did that, we'd be looking at 640 HP and 630 Torque and for not too much money.
What's the difference between the two as far as what needs to be installed?

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
We already have an Atlas 2-Speed and running a PR80. They "should" be able to hold up the abuse. :)
If you can make those numbers, the drivetrain will hold up.

When I get back around to a JT, if in fact the 392 never comes to fruition, it will be a diesel, with a warranty.

scruffy

I'm thinking about an LS swap for my JT this winter, but an LT swap sounds even better. In fact I've decided to sell a recently acquired LJ and put the money towards an engine swap. Waiting for a drive shaft and some PSC parts to finish initial build on the JT. It will be nice to actually drive a JT. I know I'm gonna want more power with 40s' so, yes I'm very interested in a kit for a Gen V LT swap.

Last edited:

78cj7

In theory, the LT is a better fit for the Jeep platform: smaller footprint in the engine bay and lighter weight than a Hemi. Should be easier to keep cool as well. But isn't it likely that Jeep puts the 392 in the Gladiator? In which case, you get a factory installed and warrantied V8, and its much cheaper than paying someone to do the LS install. I know folks on here are talking about using Mo's kit and doing the work themselves, so that last point would be moot for you. Is there skepticism that the 392 is coming to the Gladiator or are there other reasons people want to do the LT swap? Honest question - not trying to be a smart ass.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
In theory, the LS is a better fit for the Jeep platform: smaller footprint in the engine bay and lighter weight than a Hemi. Should be easier to keep cool as well. But isn't it likely that Jeep puts the 392 in the Gladiator? In which case, you get a factory installed and warrantied V8, and its much cheaper than paying someone to do the LS install. I know folks on here are talking about using Mo's kit and doing the work themselves, so that last point would be moot for you. Is there skepticism that the 392 is coming to the Gladiator or are there other reasons people want to do the LS swap? Honest question - not trying to be a smart ass.
Not gonna happen. Did you not see the “hi we’re Jeep and we are going electric because we have vaginas” video they posted earlier this week?

78cj7

Not gonna happen. Did you not see the “hi we’re Jeep and we are going electric because we have vaginas” video they posted earlier this week?
I think going electric goes hand-in-hand with building a V8 option, mainly because the strategy maintains fleet CAFE requirements. I also think that Jeep will go with the expensive 392 option rather than an affordable 5.7 Hemi option, because there exists an aftermarket where people pay $35,000 for a Hemi swap, so Jeep can overcharge for a factory-built 392 while falling well-short of the aftermarket price. I would guess that this makes the 392 (in the Wrangler) the most profitable model for Jeep. The high expense of the 392 keeps sales down - necessary to meet CAFE standards - but yields significant profit for Jeep. If Jeep really wanted to provide an "affordable" V8 option for consumers they would mass-produce a Gladiator with the 5.7 Hemi. Based on pricing in the Ram lineup, a 5.7 Gladiator should be priced about $3,000-$3,400 over the base price 3.6 Pentastar, and about $600-$1,000 below the 3.0 Ecodiesel. This would make the 5.7 accessible to many people who buy Gladiators.

Of course, no one knows what Jeep will do, but here is one article that speculates about the 392:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I think going electric goes hand-in-hand with building a V8 option, mainly because the strategy maintains fleet CAFE requirements. I also think that Jeep will go with the expensive 392 option rather than an affordable 5.7 Hemi option, because there exists an aftermarket where people pay $35,000 for a Hemi swap, so Jeep can overcharge for a factory-built 392 while falling well-short of the aftermarket price. I would guess that this makes the 392 the most profitable model for Jeep. The high expense of the 392 keeps sales down - necessary to meet CAFE standards - but yields significant profit for Jeep. If Jeep really wanted to provide an "affordable" V8 option for consumers they would mass-produce a Gladiator with the 5.7 Hemi. Based on pricing in the Ram lineup, a 5.7 Gladiator should be priced about $3,000-$3,400 over the base price 3.6 Pentastar, and about $600-$1,000 below the 3.0 Ecodiesel. This would make the 5.7 accessible to many people who buy Gladiators.

Of course, no one knows what Jeep will do, but here is one article that speculates about the 392:
Think what you want but the gladiator is not a Ram so it’s not apples to apples. And nowhere in that article does it say Jeep is going to put a V8 in a gladiator. He says “a lot of people want it” which is true. It’s not gonna happen but you’re welcome to think what you want.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think going electric goes hand-in-hand with building a V8 option, mainly because the strategy maintains fleet CAFE requirements.
You assume that would be necessary. It isn't. As is, Jeep just pays the penalty on the 392. This is why they have a loud exhaust mode where the Auto Stop Start button would be on a regular JL.

78cj7

You assume that would be necessary. It isn't. As is, Jeep just pays the penalty on the 392. This is why they have a loud exhaust mode where the Auto Stop Start button would be on a regular JL.
Yes, you are correct. In the past Jeep has paid the fines for exceeding fleet CAFE requirements:

Doesn't mean they want to keep doing so, or - more likely over the next three years - that the fines will get steeper and too burdensome.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you are correct. In the past Jeep has paid the fines for exceeding fleet CAFE requirements:
LOL - of course I'm correct and I don't need an article to prove as much. I have friends that work at Jeep and got it right from the source.
Doesn't mean they want to keep doing so, or - more likely over the next three years - that the fines will get steeper and too burdensome.
LOL - It's always nice to see a man of faith. And clearly, you can believe whatever it is you want to believe. I won't lie, it wouldn't kill me to be wrong about this.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
201,310 JL Wranglers were sold in 2020. Only 77,542 Gladiators were sold during the same period of time. Even if you were to be extremely optimistic and said that 10% of JL sales this year will be 392's, that would only be 20,000 units. If it weren't for Bronco, Jeep wouldn't have even made it an option. Likewise, even if you were to be extremely optimistic and said that 10% of all Gladiator sales will be 392's, that would only be 7,000 units. Maybe it's just me but I'm hard pressed to think that Stellantis would make a push for such a small number of sales, especially when they're already making a BIG push for "Zero Emissions Freedom" and committing 70% of ALL Jeep sales to be electrified by 2025. But hey, what would I know.

scruffy

Having already spent the money to get my JT built up with axles, suspension, etc it makes my choice easier. I'm not going to buy a new JT and start over. If I'm going to do an engine swap I'd rather have a LS or LT than a Hemi. If there was a JT 392 available when I bought my JT I probably would have bought one.

Top Bottom