6.2L Gen V LT Gladiator - Would You be Interested?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, I think it's pretty safe to say that any hopes of seeing a 392 in a Gladiator is effectively dead especially being that Stellantis just announced that 70% of all Jeeps sold will be electrified within the next 4 years. And, from the look of things, I even question how long Stellantis will even continue to support the sale of Mopar crate motors such as the HEMI. With that said, would any of you be interested doing a 6.2L Gen V LT motor swap?

Obviously, Cindy and I have seriously considered buying a 392 but after doing the math, it just didn't make a whole lot of sense to us. Sure, we could have sold our JLUR to do it but then, all we'd have is a powerful Jeep that was bone stock and when push came to shove, capability was ultimately more important to us than power or speed. And really, the one Jeep we have in our stable that could really benefit from more power, is our Gladiator and it would be a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to just do a motor swap in it.

With that said, we've been super happy with the new LT in Moby and would prefer to have one in our Gladiator over a HEMI. Unfortunately, even though Motech has done an LT swap in a JL, they haven't been offering a kit for it or a JT and mainly because they didn't think there would be a market for it, especially after the 392 came out. Needless to say, this is something we'd seriously consider doing or at least, in the future if they offered it and was wondering if any of you would be interested as well?

RCC

If the integration of the GM motor was was made to be seemless like the Hemi swap is I would be interested, that being said Im really considering a Hemi swap next year.

I honestly think all the talk of going EV is just talk, I do not think the stock holders will be happy when Jeep loses 70% of their business due to someones decision to build vehicles that Jeep buyers do not want.

benatc1

Hooked
I would definitely be interested, even the wrangler 392 just seems so much more than it should be so if ever a gladiator made it with a 392 I bet it would be as much if not more. So as long as the price tag isn't 40k+ like the hemi swaps out there I could probably do it down the road. I really like the power from the gladiator with the auto and 4.10 but thinking I'll be regearing with the 37s. Which will probably help but id love to save up for a V8 swap down the road.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If the integration of the GM motor was was made to be seemless like the Hemi swap is I would be interested, that being said Im really considering a Hemi swap next year.
It is on our JK. All single module and all working off a GM computer.
I honestly think all the talk of going EV is just talk, I do not think the stock holders will be happy when Jeep loses 70% of their business due to someones decision to build vehicles that Jeep buyers do not want.
LOL - you can think that but you'd be wrong. The EPA will be making significant changes in 2025 and Chrysler hasn't made any improvements to modernize the HEMI in a very long time. GM has.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would definitely be interested, even the wrangler 392 just seems so much more than it should be so if ever a gladiator made it with a 392 I bet it would be as much if not more. So as long as the price tag isn't 40k+ like the hemi swaps out there I could probably do it down the road. I really like the power from the gladiator with the auto and 4.10 but thinking I'll be regearing with the 37s. Which will probably help but id love to save up for a V8 swap down the road.
The Motech kit will set you back about $30k or so.

WJCO

Meme King
I might consider something like this but I don't see it being on the priority list any time soon for me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I might consider something like this but I don't see it being on the priority list any time soon for me.
Honestly, I don't really see it being a priority until or unless you're running 40's. Our Gladiator is a dog with them on and after testing out a set of 42's, we were dying.

benatc1

Hooked
The Motech kit will set you back about $30k or so.
Still alot but that's kinda the deal. let's be honest thought that's significantly less than what the AMW4x4 392 is going to come in at, plus I'm assuming the 6.2 is lighter and fairly similar power output (haven't checked the #s).

Bierpower

Hooked
Still alot but that's kinda the deal. let's be honest thought that's significantly less than what the AMW4x4 392 is going to come in at, plus I'm assuming the 6.2 is lighter and fairly similar power output (haven't checked the #s).
With the GM having the 10 speed where a lot of the hemis are running a six speed, the numbers really aren't going to give you the driveability difference.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup. Also, if you can find a salvaged motor, it can be more affordable. As far as power goes, you can make an LT as powerful as you want it to be and way more so than a 392. Also, it IS lighter, runs cooler, is more modern, has direct injection, 11:1 compression and CVVT that yields a flat power curve and right from idle.

MericaMade

I would love a 6.2 but the price ouch. I took my build of aftermarket parts and added to the price of the new 392 and the numbers were around 100k, it made more sense to just buy a v8 as well. I say your better off dropping a V8 in because both your JL and JT are awesome builds. I did like the video Bubba did on the LS vs. Hemi but at the same time I have been watching some videos on Motech and they are awesome as well. The thing that has me leaning towards the 6.2 from my understanding is easier plug and play, you can keep cruse control, and cooling is better. If I misunderstood that please correct me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I should note that it's been 115 to 120 and we've been pushing Moby HARD. We have ZERO heat issues even with the AC on, climbing hills and doing 80. In those conditions, we're only seeing 228-230 coolant and 180 on trans. (y)

Last edited by a moderator:

RCC

It is on our JK. All single module and all working off a GM computer.

LOL - you can think that but you'd be wrong. The EPA will be making significant changes in 2025 and Chrysler hasn't made any improvements to modernize the HEMI in a very long time. GM has.

Call me an optimist but I expect for big changes to happen politically in 2022 and 2026 and the EPA gets told to pound sand.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would love a 6.2 but the price ouch. I took my build of aftermarket parts and added to the price of the new 392 and the numbers were around 100k, it made more sense to just buy a v8 as well. I say your better off dropping a V8 in because both your JL and JT are awesome builds. I did like the video Bubba did on the LS vs. Hemi but at the same time I have been watching some videos on Motech and they are awesome as well. The thing that has me leaning towards the 6.2 from my understanding is easier plug and play, you can keep cruse control, and cooling is better. If I misunderstood that please correct me.
Nope, you are right and LS is no LT. The Gen V LT is a MUCH better engine and the new Motech single module system is amazing. Everything works off the GM computer now and there aren't the problems you used to have with the LS.

benatc1

Hooked
Yup. Also, if you can find a salvaged motor, it can be more affordable. As far as power goes, you can make an LT as powerful as you want it to be and way more so than a 392. Also, it IS lighter, runs cooler, is more modern, has direct injection, 11:1 compression and CVVT that yields a flat power curve and right from idle.
Actually, if I were to do this, I would probably do it with the 8-speed being that it was made for trucks and heavy duty applications. :)
That's all good info, hopefully you guys have a good year and can get one installed so I can see how awesome it is lol

Top Bottom