15 Anvil JKUR HR Build

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
No, the lathe and press are at work. To my knowledge that lathe has only ever been used for personal projects. Lol

Go Hawks! And thanks.

Well I don’t want to build the anticipation too much. It’s gonna happen pretty slowly. More or less just something to tinker with in my spare time. And with another baby on the way, I’ll have even less time. I think these will realistically be installed next winter. 🤷🏻*♂️

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks to the bosses for that purchase for no reason. Lol

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Drinking beer and playing with this axle again tonight. Rebuilt the e-brakes. This wasn’t a necessary cost. Just honestly didn’t want to clean up the mess from the leaking hub seals. Call me a Nancy.

IMG_4559.JPG

Started prepping for the wheel speed sensors too. Got everything layed out so I can cut tomorrow. My son was sleeping so I couldn’t fire up the angle grinder unless I wanted the wrath of a pregnant wife. Hopefully I’ll get time to cut all this tomorrow.

IMG_4560.jpg

IMG_4561.jpg

And started the initial stage of the shave. I still have to mark out my cut line and all that jazz but wanted to see exactly how much clearance I was saving with the shave. I’m happy with that.

IMG_4558.jpg

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Got the wheel speed sensor crap mounted up and hubs installed today. I only had one sensor so I just swapped sides with it to make sure everything would clear. All looks good to me. It was a little bit of a pain to get the hub on as the tone ring doesn’t clear the e-brake shoes. I used the adjuster to get them opened as far as possible then clamped the linkage open to get the last bit.

IMG_4563.jpg

IMG_4564.jpg

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Replaced the cracked saddle block on my AEV carrier. Not really sure when this happened but bought a couple in case it’s a recurring thing.

IMG_4568.jpg

Also was planning to replace my TRE’s but then noticed I had a bow in the tie rod. I keep a spare ready to go and set to correct length so I threw that on. If I can straighten the original one I’ll put the new ends on it and then it will become my spare. If not I’ll just build up another one.

IMG_4569.jpg

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Started shaving the 14b. It was a ton of cutting and grinding and made a huge mess in the garage but I think the fit came out decent.

I leveled the axle and set the angle to 6 degrees after marking my cut line. Then I used left over paint in a box and raised it with my floor jack to transfer the cut line all around the housing.

IMG_4583.jpg

IMG_4598.jpg

Overall fit of the bottom plate.

IMG_4599.jpg

Next I’ll have to preheat and weld everything up.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Over the last couple days I’ve been able to make it out in the garage for a few minutes to start tacking in some of the brackets on the 14b. Still need to purchase gears and an install kit.

IMG_4887.jpg

IMG_4888.jpg

sjstar

LOL that cracked me up about the pregnant wife and kid sleeping. I feel your pain. When the wife isn't around my house and the kid is sleeping I'm loud as shit and he never wakes up but when she's around I damn near get the death stare for sneezing too loud.
Drinking beer and playing with this axle again tonight. Rebuilt the e-brakes. This wasn’t a necessary cost. Just honestly didn’t want to clean up the mess from the leaking hub seals. Call me a Nancy.

View attachment 314257

Started prepping for the wheel speed sensors too. Got everything layed out so I can cut tomorrow. My son was sleeping so I couldn’t fire up the angle grinder unless I wanted the wrath of a pregnant wife. Hopefully I’ll get time to cut all this tomorrow.

View attachment 314258

View attachment 314259

And started the initial stage of the shave. I still have to mark out my cut line and all that jazz but wanted to see exactly how much clearance I was saving with the shave. I’m happy with that.

View attachment 314260

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
LOL that cracked me up about the pregnant wife and kid sleeping. I feel your pain. When the wife isn't around my house and the kid is sleeping I'm loud as shit and he never wakes up but when she's around I damn near get the death stare for sneezing too loud.

Yea man. I’ve got a pretty good handle on how loud I can be before I wake up my son. But now we have a 1 month old so no regular sleep pattern yet.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Welded up the shave plate and got it wrapped to begin it’s slow cool. Got a welding blanket wrapped in a heavy drop cloth wrapped in a thick moving blanket. Seems to be keeping the heat in well. Was my first time welding cast and it was a little different so it’s not the prettiest. I just hope it doesn’t crack out.

IMG_4933.jpg

Also got the ring gear installed on the ARB and bearings pressed on. Got the pinion assembly put together and preload set. Hoping I can find time tomorrow to start setting up the gears.

IMG_4934.jpg

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
Welded up the shave plate and got it wrapped to begin it’s slow cool. Got a welding blanket wrapped in a heavy drop cloth wrapped in a thick moving blanket. Seems to be keeping the heat in well. Was my first time welding cast and it was a little different so it’s not the prettiest. I just hope it doesn’t crack out.

View attachment 320592

Also got the ring gear installed on the ARB and bearings pressed on. Got the pinion assembly put together and preload set. Hoping I can find time tomorrow to start setting up the gears.

View attachment 320593

Cannot wait to see the finished product that thing is going to be a beast :beer:

Top Bottom