12 JKU sport build

simonjk

Caught the Bug
Since reintroducing myself earlier this week, I have been looking through some builds. I thought I would post up my build along with my eventual plan.

12 JKU sport
6 speed manual
Soft top

I purchased this Jeep with the intentions of it being my second vehicle and weekend warrior. I picked up the Jeep completely stock with some aftermarket rims with street tires.

IMG_3891.jpg

That evening I started ordering parts
Tactik front stubby bumper
Quadratec 9000lb winch
EVO rear D ring mounts
Smitybilt sliders(the one purchase I already regret, I should have ordered EVO weld on ones)
Stubby antenna
Lights and light brackets for the windshield
Hood latches
315/75/16 Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 mud terrains
HID headlights
Cowl covers for the door dimples

Next on the list is a lift kit, going to go 2.5 - 3, still looking on what lift to go with. I will be going with adj track bars, brakelines, quick discos, control arms. Hoping to have it narrowed down towards Christmas when I have a week off work.

I started working on it today.

EVO d rings installed, front bumper and winch
IMG_3902.jpg

If you see in the background, my fake Jeep is lurking and getting jealous of the real Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

simonjk

Caught the Bug
My future plans for this other than a lift are to eventually go PR44 front and 37s with bead locks. Upgrade the rear axle. Corner guards with body mounted carrier.

simonjk

Caught the Bug
Did you mean to type 16” wheel size?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes, I assume the previous owner replaced the stock 16” wheels with some aftermarket 16 ones to keep it the same. I wish it had 17s, but since I plan to eventually run beadlocks, I decided instead of replacing the rims now, I’ll just buy Beadlocks in the the future in 17s when I move up to 37s and a PR44.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Yes, I assume the previous owner replaced the stock 16” wheels with some aftermarket 16 ones to keep it the same. I wish it had 17s, but since I plan to eventually run beadlocks, I decided instead of replacing the rims now, I’ll just buy Beadlocks in the the future in 17s when I move up to 37s and a PR44.

Stock would have been 17". Looks like previous owner just threw something on to get ride of it.

JKbrick

Sorry I thought you meant you were buying 16” wheels and I was going to recommend against it but I read it wrong

simonjk

Caught the Bug
Sorry I thought you meant you were buying 16” wheels and I was going to recommend against it but I read it wrong

Ya I would never buy 16s for a JK. All my previous jk builds I had put 17s on them. Like I said I would upgrade to 17s on this one, but didn’t want to buy rims twice. I’ll ride the 16s until I get my axles set up and then jump to 17” beadlocks. But I still have a lot to do before then. Building it based off JKX standards.

simonjk

Caught the Bug
Took some time today to mount up my sliders.
IMG_3905.jpg
When my tires come in this week, I will be cutting the flares and pinch seam. For a lift option I’m looking at grabbing some 3” EVO plush coils. Anyone got some good recommendations on some good pairing shock that won’t break the bank too much?

simonjk

Caught the Bug
Finally feel like I’m driving a Jeep. Got a 3.5 lift installed with 35s.

IMG_3926.jpg

On to the next upgrade...driveshafts and tire carrier.

simonjk

Caught the Bug
Did a few more things to the JKU. Windshield decal and cut fenders.

IMG_3932.jpg

I had a few vacation days left this year and burned them up after Christmas. Hoping to get it dirty a couple times when I’m off. Those that wheel manuals, any advice? I’ve always wheeled automatics so this will be a learning experience the first few times wheeling it.

simonjk

Caught the Bug
Added some Evo mini fender liners over the long weekend. IMG_4018.jpg I plan to throw some clean coat over them in the coming days. I like the look of the aluminum.

Elroy231

Finally feel like I’m driving a Jeep. Got a 3.5 lift installed with 35s.

View attachment 356394

On to the next upgrade...driveshafts and tire carrier.
That lift and tires made a big difference. Your doing alot to it. Looking good.
Have you taken it out to play yet?
I have a manual and it was my first. Hasn't been a bad experience at all. An automatic is on my list for future changes tho.

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

simonjk

Caught the Bug
That lift and tires made a big difference. Your doing alot to it. Looking good.
Have you taken it out to play yet?
I have a manual and it was my first. Hasn't been a bad experience at all. An automatic is on my list for future changes tho.

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks, getting back into a Jeep and offroad scene has been on my list for a while, I was able to have a significant amount ready to spend on upgrades when I got it.

I have plans to take it somewhere this upcoming week. I switched from autos to a manual for a more Jeep feel.

simonjk

Caught the Bug
After the long weekend, I was finally able to drive my Jeep more than to and from work without any traffic. I have found that I have a slight death wobble hitting certain pot holes and a little bump steer. I found a few of my bolts were under torqued, and that fixed most of it. I also figured out my track bar (raised track bar bracket) and my drag link are not parallel. Stock drag link with stock pitman arm.

I have ordered a high steer kit to move my drag link to the top of the knuckle. Thanks to this great forum for the easy informational look up.

While I was at it, I ordered some stainless steel brake lines to compensate for my lift. Hoping this all comes in this week so I can go playing in it New Years weekend.

JKbrick

After the long weekend, I was finally able to drive my Jeep more than to and from work without any traffic. I have found that I have a slight death wobble hitting certain pot holes and a little bump steer. I found a few of my bolts were under torqued, and that fixed most of it. I also figured out my track bar (raised track bar bracket) and my drag link are not parallel. Stock drag link with stock pitman arm.

I have ordered a high steer kit to move my drag link to the top of the knuckle. Thanks to this great forum for the easy informational look up.

While I was at it, I ordered some stainless steel brake lines to compensate for my lift. Hoping this all comes in this week so I can go playing in it New Years weekend.

Oh boy, I drove mine once between raising the track bar and changing the drag link, was not good

Top Bottom