Will the 2017 Jeep JL Wrangler Target the "Soft" SUV Market?

Sessoms14X

It is the same thing here in Windsor in te cold north ahah. Seriously lately I see so many people not wave. It's disappointing because whenever I see a jeep I get a smile, especially when it is modded.

There is one guy who goes to the same gym as me who drives a very nice mountain edition and just last month or so I saw him get out of it for the first time so I commented on the jeep while jumpin out of mine : "hey man, that's one beautiful rig" he turned around and said "rig?" I thought a peice of me died. So I said you're jeep, I like it. He said it wasn't bad. Like is this was the wrangler market is becoming? Though on other hand both my neighbours wives love my wrangler and one even has a Sahara which she waves at jeeps even when hers is in the driveway and one passes by.

But really this soft market is very disappointing. I think what I killing me inside is how I go to the dealer to check out a jk for my sister so I can get her one as a gift and the guy shows me a bone stock sport that just looks inferior compared to my rig for 19 the minute I said it was for my sister.

Honestly I can see this going badly for enthusiasts. Guess I'm going to have to buy a 2014 and store it in a garage asap

I've experienced this before, I parked by a nice jk at Lowes last summer and happened to catch the owner of it getting in and I told him that he has an awesome jeep, me I'm all excited to talk to him about it cuz at the time the 2 door jkr I had was all stock. The response I get outta him was just a "Thanks" as he gets in his jeep n closes the door. It is annoying when someone doesn't share the same passion about jeep, its just another vehicle to them.

I'll definitely be sticking with my 14 JKURX- my dream jeep. I'm not really looking forward to what the '17 wrangler holds

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKMag

I got more waves in my 2 door than i get in my current JKUR for whatever reason, though I did have the Rubicon spring lift and Duratracs on the 2 door. Ive only owned a Jeer Wrangler for a few years now but like most here I always wanted one because how they looked, 4x4 for winter (MN here), removable top and the idea they were the best off road adventure vehicle you could buy from the factory.

Now, I will be the first to admit I really don't go off road adventuring but my Jeep could certainly get me to most locations other vehicle may not be able to. If Fiat decides to "soften" the Wrangler when they already have other models that cover that segment it makes me wonder what may happen to the Wrangler we have today. IFS, I think we will see this happen regardless as manufacturers have already moved that way with their trucks, IRS may be a little bit longer in arriving but I imagine some day soon too.

What really worries me is if Fiat were able to kill the Jeep Wrangler perception, reputation or whatever you call it that drives people like me who see the Wrangler as something that as Jeep even describes as an Off Road Adventure vehicle, even when I don't use it as such but hope to someday.

As much as people make fun of the Mall parking lot off road vehicle description of our Wranglers, that very buyer segment helps our #1 resale value and drives R&D and future models of the Wrangler (for good or bad). As an example, Ford had the Bronco for many years, removable top, 4X4, great off road vehicle and in a effort to capture the Bronco "Name" and market share with a "soft" version they decided to create the Bronco II, i really don't want to see a Wrangler II kill what I think the Jeep Wrangler is today.

turbineguy

What Jeep needs to realize is 10% of wrangler buyers use it to go places no other vehicle can.

The other 90% buy them to look like the other 10%.

If jeep loses the 10%, they lose a lot of the 90%.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
What Jeep needs to realize is 10% of wrangler buyers use it to go places no other vehicle can.

The other 90% buy them to look like the other 10%.

If jeep loses the 10%, they lose a lot of the 90%.

I agree 100%

tatonka56

I don't understand this way of thinking :thinking:...if they don't sell the JK with a 2.8ltr diesel in the States, then how the hell they expect to know what kind of market they'll have. I'd like to see them offering this engine as a conversion kit like the 5.3 and 6.1ltr Hemi's...at least they'd see how many folks are willing to buy the engine. Come on Fiat-Chrysler, remove head from ass please!

GreenMonster

With all the changes and market targets. I am keeping my 2012 jk and building it to my liking and I will just keep it running for ever.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Gonna do the same here!!! While I understand the business point, it is a shame to put the legend of JEEP to rest......

Mitrig

I've experienced this before, I parked by a nice jk at Lowes last summer and happened to catch the owner of it getting in and I told him that he has an awesome jeep, me I'm all excited to talk to him about it cuz at the time the 2 door jkr I had was all stock. The response I get outta him was just a "Thanks" as he gets in his jeep n closes the door. It is annoying when someone doesn't share the same passion about jeep, its just another vehicle to them.

I'll definitely be sticking with my 14 JKURX- my dream jeep. I'm not really looking forward to what the '17 wrangler holds

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

yea it really threw me off since at the time all i really had on my jeep was my 33s and other than that is was bone stock and finally i see the guy after my jeep has had some progress done and I'm hoping to start a conversation with him and i get a confused look when i say rig...like what ever happened to brand loyalty. I'm starting to hate all these people jumping on the band wagon. i have nothing wrong with people driving what they like and want but if you know the car has a tradition behind it at least have the courtesy to hold strong to it.

the best wave i err got was someone drove past me i waved and they didn't see me but the passenger did. apparently they recognized my rig from the wayalife badges and my light rack and within 20-25 minutes later i get a text from someone apologizing that they didn't wave. i almost died laughing. apparently the passenger knew a friend of mine and the driver asked for my name and somehow got my number to message me. we then proceeded to talk about jeep mods. NOTE the driver was a 18 year old girl. which threw me off even more. a haha

i wave at every jeep regardless if they wave back. i have even had rigs form 6 lanes away on the in coming lane on the highway wave through the roof but those are usually only the diehard jeepers.

my parents have been trying to convince me to swap my 07 for a new one but I'm so attached and i don't want to start over again yet. if i got a new one id have to lift it and drop 35s in the first week because i can't do stock anymore. my sister wants one and test driving new stock sports then jumping in mine is like driving a hummer then a civic

JamesWyatt

Odd article. Have to sell more diesel Grand Cherokees before it goes into the Wrangler? Sounds like the quotes from 8-10 months ago. I just read an article the other day where a Jeep exec of some sort was saying the diesels where selling like hotcakes, and they were doubling production of the Diesel engines for the US market next year. I don't believe a word of this "soft market" BS - something doesn't sound right. I wonder if the quotes were taken out of context.

JamesWyatt

Forgot to mention: with all the hand-wringing from Jeep execs about the upcoming multi-model Land Rover Defender-inspired lineup, you'd think going soft is the last thing Jeep would want to do to the Wrangler. The new Rover line is supposed to be a more affordable, utilitarian-based platform that will directly compete with the new Wrangler. Just another thing that makes me distrust the seriousness of the article.

My Rubicon is pretty "soft" inside as it is, and Jeep is having no problem selling these things.

Omar Brannstrom

Hi from Sweden

Landrover want to change the best looking 4x4 out there, the Defender. Better look than the Wrangler with more boxy style and rougher and more military look. I wanted a Defender but its to basic inside with no airbags and strange sitting position and have no automatic. I bought a unlimited Rubicon, but sometimes I wished I bought a Defender instead because it looks more rougher than the Wrangler. Defender have about 2.5 times more in payload compared to a Wrangler.

Land-Rover-Defender---Jeep-Wrangler2.jpg

03C0021C04978266-c2-photo-oYToyOntzOjE6InciO2k6OTYwO3M6NToiY29sb3IiO3M6NToid2hpdGUiO30%3D-essai-comparatif-jeep-wrangler-vs-land-rover-defender.jpg

Landrover want the new Defender to look like this and I hope Jeep dont follow that path. This a concept DC100 and it looks horrible and it dont look at all as a Defender. Looks a like cute girl city vehicle with smooth lines and puke smurf colors:naw: Landrover already have soft suv looking suvs in the model program, why mess with the look with the best looking 4x4 out there

land-rover-dc100-concept-la-2011.jpg

Last edited:

JKUndaunted

This crap about IFS and IRS being lighter is blown out of proportion. The arms may well be lighter than an axle but by the time you take into account the extra crossmembers to hang the arms off and add the weight of the axle and cv shafts there is not much difference, maybe even heavier with all steel components. The un sprung weight is definitely less with independent suspension but the actual weight of the whole system is going to be very similar.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dune Crawler

This crap about IFS and IRS being lighter is blown out of proportion. The arms may well be lighter than an axle but by the time you take into account the extra crossmembers to hang the arms off and add the weight of the axle and cv shafts there is not much difference, maybe even heavier with all steel components. The un sprung weight is definitely less with independent suspension but the actual weight of the whole system is going to be very similar.

Wonder how suspension upgrades will work with the IFS & IRS setup

Life's a beach

NV375

Weren't the same type of rumors circulating when the JK was about to be released? (That is a serious question, I really dont know) And I'm sure its been said already, but why tailor the next wrangler foe this "soft" market when they alreayd have the cherokee and grand Cherokee. Not to mention both the cherokee and renegade are slated to get the soft top that's already on the fiats. The soft top reasoning is silly imo

2014 JKUR

I remember in the 90s when I first read about coils under a Wrangler I said "It's end of the real jeeps" You know what I was wrong back then.

turbineguy

As Bob Sheaves said in the article below, "...the days of the easily-modified Wrangler are probably numbered".

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?18998-The-2017-Jeep-Wrangler-Suspension

Which is why the Wrangler will die. Most mall crawlers and soccer moms because they fantasize about being like those of us that spend way to money on their jeeps.

It may be a short term success, but in the long term the Wrangler will be just another crossover vehicle.

If the offroader won't buy it, why would anyone else.

2013CGJKU

Which is the reason for it... to reduce unsprung weight.

I really don't see them doing it for the same reason as the other guys. They are already producing those vehicles. They would have to nix one of the other small light independent suspension models in order for it to make any sense at all. They would be offering three small SUVs with the same motor and same suspension and because they are all made by Chrysler/Fiat they would all have the same design cues.

I don't see it happening as long as the Renegade and the Cherokee are being produced.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Which is why the Wrangler will die. Most mall crawlers and soccer moms because they fantasize about being like those of us that spend way to money on their jeeps.

It may be a short term success, but in the long term the Wrangler will be just another crossover vehicle.

If the offroader won't buy it, why would anyone else.

You could be right on this one but, you can be sure that I'll still get one and just to see what I can do with it :yup:

Top Bottom