Will the 2017 Jeep JL Wrangler Target the "Soft" SUV Market?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Clifford Atiyeh of Car and Driver just published the following article that highlights a quote from Mike Manley, CEO of Jeep and in it, states in a nutshell that the new Wrangler could target the "Soft" SUV market. Check it out...

Next Jeep Wrangler Could Target “Soft” SUVs—But It Won’t Be Ruined (We Hope)
2013-Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited-Rubicon-10th-Anniversary-Edition-PLACEMENT-626x382.jpg

“It’s a Jeep thing” might be a statement that select people at Fiat-Chrysler don’t understand—but let’s hope not.

As quoted by Automotive News, Jeep CEO Mike Manley says that the next-gen Wrangler, which is due in 2017, would need to compete with “soft” SUVs and that not all Wranglers need to be as capable off-road.

“You can’t sell 19,000-plus retail Wranglers [in May] to people who just want to go off-roading,” Manley told the industry paper. “Why would, for example, somebody else’s SUV that’s really an on-road ‘soft’ SUV not be for me a genuine target for Wrangler?” But before JK and TJ owners light effigies at the next Jeep Jamboree, Manley knows that the Wrangler enjoys a thick-as-blood fan base who are more loyal than the Secret Service. Later in the AN article, he states that “one thing that [Jeep] will not do is dilute what Wrangler stands for.”

As for the redesign, new powertrains and lighter materials are almost guaranteed. The Wrangler could benefit from more gears and, as we were told by Fiat-Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne, possibly aluminum construction. Although the 2.8-liter diesel in European Wranglers performs well, Manley is on record saying that sales of the Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel need to improve before any new Jeep diesels arrive stateside. A four-cylinder gasoline model might make sense if Chrysler can sort an engine, possibly through turbocharging, that’s burlier than the 2.4 found in the new Cherokee.

But we’re not sure why the Wrangler—which is among the very best vehicles extant in terms of resale value—needs to target “soft” competitors when the new Renegade and the Cherokee provide plenty of ammo in that fight. To that end, Automotive News speculates that the Wrangler’s solid axles could be ripped out for a lighter independent setup.

Read the whole article at Car and Driver here:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/next-j...rget-soft-suvs-but-it-wont-be-ruined-we-hope/

gtony12

Caught the Bug
With all the changes and market targets. I am keeping my 2012 jk and building it to my liking and I will just keep it running for ever.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jmatta33

I feel like they have been targeting this market over the last couple years already. case and point, the dragon monstrosity that chrystler came up with. when I bought my first Jeep in 2010 there wasnt a Jeep out there that didnt give me a wave. fast forward a few years and its a rareity that I get a wave. I put up my hand and I get nothing in return and more often then not its a soccer mom behind the wheel... its goid that chrystler is selling Jeeps, but at the same time its kind of diluting the community with non Jeep enthusiasts. I kind of feel like chrystler should come out with a sub model of the wrangler thats geared for the soccer moms and keep the wranglers designed for the trails.

RLTW!!!

jmatta33

With all the changes and market targets. I am keeping my 2012 jk and building it to my liking and I will just keep it running for ever.

this. my 2012 is going with me to the grave lol.

RLTW!!!

jmatta33

just make a 4 door suv with a soft top and 2WD and maybe an ecoboost type engine that gets 25mpg and that will steer a lot of the non Jeepers away from the Wranglers...

RLTW!!!

SteelBadger

I feel like they have been targeting this market over the last couple years already. case and point, the dragon monstrosity that chrystler came up with. when I bought my first Jeep in 2010 there wasnt a Jeep out there that didnt give me a wave. fast forward a few years and its a rareity that I get a wave. I put up my hand and I get nothing in return and more often then not its a soccer mom behind the wheel... its goid that chrystler is selling Jeeps, but at the same time its kind of diluting the community with non Jeep enthusiasts. I kind of feel like chrystler should come out with a sub model of the wrangler thats geared for the soccer moms and keep the wranglers designed for the trails.

RLTW!!!

Nailed it on the head. There are so many stock Sahara JKU's in Calgary it is ridiculous. They are the ones who do not wave no matter who is driving. Rubi and sport JK/JKU drivers tend to wave. People with mods wave. Most CJ and TJ's wave unless it is a high school kid. Oh and one bitter old man in a TJ in my neighbourhood won't wave....
No offense to those on this community who fit my non-wave groups. If you're on this forum I am guessing you wave anyway. Cause you "get it".

TINMAN367

Wow, I thought it was bad when they started offering the two wheel drive Wranglers but I guess that was just a start.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Weren't the same type of rumors circulating when the JK was about to be released? (That is a serious question, I really dont know) And I'm sure its been said already, but why tailor the next wrangler foe this "soft" market when they alreayd have the cherokee and grand Cherokee. Not to mention both the cherokee and renegade are slated to get the soft top that's already on the fiats. The soft top reasoning is silly imo

2014 JKUR

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Weren't the same type of rumors circulating when the JK was about to be released? (That is a serious question, I really dont know) And I'm sure its been said already, but why tailor the next wrangler foe this "soft" market when they alreayd have the cherokee and grand Cherokee. Not to mention both the cherokee and renegade are slated to get the soft top that's already on the fiats. The soft top reasoning is silly imo

2014 JKUR

Actually, the Jeep purists were saying as much but, not so much from Chrysler.

Sessoms14X

Nailed it on the head. There are so many stock Sahara JKU's in Calgary it is ridiculous. They are the ones who do not wave no matter who is driving. Rubi and sport JK/JKU drivers tend to wave. People with mods wave. Most CJ and TJ's wave unless it is a high school kid. Oh and one bitter old man in a TJ in my neighbourhood won't wave....
No offense to those on this community who fit my non-wave groups. If you're on this forum I am guessing you wave anyway. Cause you "get it".

Its the exact same way here in NW Iowa. I see so many sahara models around and I don't even bother to throw up a wave to em because they never wave. Even some modded jeeps don't bother to wave. I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and he told me he wants to get a jeep so I told him ya better start waving at other jeepers! He asked me why?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

MrHooah04

RLTW!!!

Hey RANGER..I used to feel the same way up here in the North East..however, I seem to notice that even the soccer moms are catching on to the Jeep wave. But I agree..a sub model that is geared toward that market would be a great compromise.

SteelBadger

I see so many sahara models around and I don't even bother to throw up a wave to em because they never wave.

I am getting that way too:giveup:

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and he told me he wants to get a jeep so I told him ya better start waving at other jeepers! He asked me why?

So is he going to wave?:standing wave:

I have only owned a Jeep for a year but I have known about the wave since I was kid. The first thing I did when I got home from the dealer was look online to see if it was still a practice.:blush:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Do they think they will sell more Jeeps if they are "softer"? I thought they already couldn't keep up with demand.

Brankz

I'm with you my 08 is with me till the end , after paying it off I want to get a 2013, 4 door rubi :)

Sessoms14X

I am getting that way too:giveup:

So is he going to wave?:standing wave:

I have only owned a Jeep for a year but I have known about the wave since I was kid. The first thing I did when I got home from the dealer was look online to see if it was still a practice.:blush:

Yea he said hell definitely wave at other jeepers. When I had my 2000 tj I always would get waves. Then when the jku came around and attracted more of the "soccer moms" its like ppl forgot what jeep is all about. That's just how I feel around here tho : /

Mitrig

Its the exact same way here in NW Iowa. I see so many sahara models around and I don't even bother to throw up a wave to em because they never wave. Even some modded jeeps don't bother to wave. I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and he told me he wants to get a jeep so I told him ya better start waving at other jeepers! He asked me why?

It is the same thing here in Windsor in te cold north ahah. Seriously lately I see so many people not wave. It's disappointing because whenever I see a jeep I get a smile, especially when it is modded.

There is one guy who goes to the same gym as me who drives a very nice mountain edition and just last month or so I saw him get out of it for the first time so I commented on the jeep while jumpin out of mine : "hey man, that's one beautiful rig" he turned around and said "rig?" I thought a peice of me died. So I said you're jeep, I like it. He said it wasn't bad. Like is this was the wrangler market is becoming? Though on other hand both my neighbours wives love my wrangler and one even has a Sahara which she waves at jeeps even when hers is in the driveway and one passes by.

But really this soft market is very disappointing. I think what I killing me inside is how I go to the dealer to check out a jk for my sister so I can get her one as a gift and the guy shows me a bone stock sport that just looks inferior compared to my rig for 19 the minute I said it was for my sister.

Honestly I can see this going badly for enthusiasts. Guess I'm going to have to buy a 2014 and store it in a garage asap

Mitrig

Do they think they will sell more Jeeps if they are "softer"? I thought they already couldn't keep up with demand.

Yea I belive they established an additional 1000 workers or soemthing odd like that to keep up with the demand of the wranglers. But let's be honest the stock sport on 225 highway tires is soft as hell.

Top Bottom