The Return of Big Black

jesse3638

Hooked
Yea thatd be awesome to meet up, let’s try and work something out. I got the ROAM XL, it’s pretty big l, but haven’t tried the whole crew yet
Yeah sounds good. We're trying to get out as much as possible. Next summer should be good. We're hoping to do the 4th in Bridgeport but everything fills up fast and usually the year before. Eddie knows some good secret spots around that area though Maybe he'd be open to sharing...haha.

benatc1

Hooked
I’d be down with a fall camping trip up near your neighborhood near the Walker or Truckee before it gets too cold…lmk
Ed I missed this, be fun to meet up, let me see if I can find a few weekends that might work, raiders on the road off course..

benatc1

Hooked
Few updates finally got some work done the last couple weekends..

Had to correct a pretty good coil bow on the passenger side, after much communication with @Disciple Off Road we got some Rock Jock wedges on the bottom and it cleared most of it up,, maybe a little bow left but we’ll within reason. Might do a little tweak to the track bar, to get a touch more centered but pretty close. I figured while I was in there I’d throw in some EVO Hydro Bumps, super simple install, after cycling the suspension, I really need to do a fender trim to get more up-travel with these big 38s. Probably won’t address this till the spring as I really don’t want to, but for now riding on the bumps here and there but it’s hardly noticeable.

I also got my Rock Slide engineering passenger step fixed up, fairly straight fwd rebuild of the internals but was kinda a pain, forgot to take pictures. Installed the skid plates as well, which do add a fair amount of stoutness, but still didn’t fit great, had to drill out a couple holes but overall was much easier with them uninstalled from the Jeep. I still believe these steps should come with the level of protection that these skids provide from the get go, especially for the price and they way they are marketed. But I digress. Forgot to grab pics of them but will post up when I do.

IMG_6306.jpeg IMG_6304.jpeg

JeepFan

Hooked
Few updates finally got some work done the last couple weekends..

Had to correct a pretty good coil bow on the passenger side, after much communication with @Disciple Off Road we got some Rock Jock wedges on the bottom and it cleared most of it up,, maybe a little bow left but we’ll within reason. Might do a little tweak to the track bar, to get a touch more centered but pretty close. I figured while I was in there I’d throw in some EVO Hydro Bumps, super simple install, after cycling the suspension, I really need to do a fender trim to get more up-travel with these big 38s. Probably won’t address this till the spring as I really don’t want to, but for now riding on the bumps here and there but it’s hardly noticeable.

I also got my Rock Slide engineering passenger step fixed up, fairly straight fwd rebuild of the internals but was kinda a pain, forgot to take pictures. Installed the skid plates as well, which do add a fair amount of stoutness, but still didn’t fit great, had to drill out a couple holes but overall was much easier with them uninstalled from the Jeep. I still believe these steps should come with the level of protection that these skids provide from the get go, especially for the price and they way they are marketed. But I digress. Forgot to grab pics of them but will post up when I do.

View attachment 396717 View attachment 396718
Looking good my friend! The upper spring isolator is likely causing your excessive inward spring bow. The factory upper isolator is thicker on one half compared to the other half. The reason for this is due to the factory front coil springs are designed to bow outward. The factory isolator will cause the aftermarket springs to bow inward. Not sure why Jeep designed it this way. However, the fix is rather simple...remove the upper isolator, cut off the alignment nubs, and rotate it 180 degrees so the thick side of the isolator is towards the frame rail. This should fix the issue.

JeepFan

Hooked
Looking good my friend! The upper spring isolator is likely causing your excessive inward spring bow. The factory upper isolator is thicker on one half compared to the other half. The reason for this is due to the factory front coil springs are designed to bow outward. The factory isolator will cause the aftermarket springs to bow inward. Not sure why Jeep designed it this way. However, the fix is rather simple...remove the upper isolator, cut off the alignment nubs, and rotate it 180 degrees so the thick side of the isolator is towards the frame rail. This should fix the issue.
Here are a few pics to illustrate...As you will see, the thinner half with the nubs is normally towards the frame rail. With the thicker half towards the wheel, the aftermarket spring will bow inward. Hope this helps. Your mileage may vary but rotating the isolator 180 should fix the bow. It fixed the bow on my JL...

20231011_132010.jpg

20231011_132224.jpg

20231011_132237.jpg

benatc1

Hooked
Here are a few pics to illustrate...As you will see, the thinner half with the nubs is normally towards the frame rail. With the thicker half towards the wheel, the aftermarket spring will bow inward. Hope this helps. Your mileage may vary but rotating the isolator 180 should fix the bow. It fixed the bow on my JL...

View attachment 396723

View attachment 396724

View attachment 396725
Very interesting, Jeremy actually told me to talk to you about this a month ago and totally forgot about it. I’ll definitely do this seems pretty straight fwd and definitely seems odd for it to be this way but, not much surprises me any more. Thanks for chiming in!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

View attachment 396723

View attachment 396724

View attachment 396725
This ^^^

I did the fix that Tony is talking about here and it definitely made a difference.

JeepFan

Hooked
Very interesting, Jeremy actually told me to talk to you about this a month ago and totally forgot about it. I’ll definitely do this seems pretty straight fwd and definitely seems odd for it to be this way but, not much surprises me any more. Thanks for chiming in!
Here are a few things to note when you tackle this issue...

When you have the spring and isolator removed, check to see how the spring seats into the factory isolator grove. If your spring diameter is larger than the factory spring diameter, the spring may not seat correctly. If this is the situation, you will have two options....

Option 1. You can use a grinder with a flap disk to grind off the rubber so it's flush with the grove. Not something I would do! LOL!

Option 2. RK Suspension and a few other companies make a neutral (flat) spring isolator to address the spring bow.

In my case, the Rancho dual-rate spring fit nicely into the grove on the isolator. So I just rotated it and crossed my fingers.

Please keep us posted...

benatc1

Hooked
Tough day today, our time with Sulley has come to an end, his hips and knees let him down and the last few years have been tough. My wife and I first thing together, so many good Jeep and life adventures with him, such a big part of our lives, but we will miss him so much. IMG_6548.png IMG_6544.png IMG_6545.png IMG_6547.png IMG_6546.png IMG_0160.jpeg

Top Bottom