The Build and Adventures of Bearbait

dillard09

Congrats on the move! I know whats its like to push that 3.8 and all 97 Chinchillas it has. Glad yall made it safely. Love Montana such a beautiful place. Been around Bozeman and Billings. Need to get back up there and explore more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
Man I missed the big move - I am soooo jealous man! I stayed in Montana near Choteau quite a few years back with my buddy and I fell in love with the state. The whole mountain region out west is just awesome.
Good luck! Great cabin too!

Thank you! It’s certainly a place you can easily fall in love with. Just waking up to all the birds chirping and no other noise is pretty amazing! We actually woke up to frost on the ground this morning which was a shocker, it’s been lingering just above freezing temps since we got here.

Don’t know if I would have worded the post with Buddy, mountain and fell in love. Just sayin. Lol.

This is one of the must go to states with the jeep soon!

LOL!!!!!! And yes there are plenty of forest roads to explorer once we settle in [emoji106]

Congrats on the move! I know whats its like to push that 3.8 and all 97 Chinchillas it has. Glad yall made it safely. Love Montana such a beautiful place. Been around Bozeman and Billings. Need to get back up there and explore more.

Thanks! It was certainly chugging along in these mountains lol I’m so glad to have an empty trailer now [emoji23] let me know when you make it back up this way!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

dillard09

Thank you! It’s certainly a place you can easily fall in love with. Just waking up to all the birds chirping and no other noise is pretty amazing! We actually woke up to frost on the ground this morning which was a shocker, it’s been lingering just above freezing temps since we got here.

LOL!!!!!! And yes there are plenty of forest roads to explorer once we settle in [emoji106]

Thanks! It was certainly chugging along in these mountains lol I’m so glad to have an empty trailer now [emoji23] let me know when you make it back up this way!

Yes sir will do. And if you ever wanna make a trip to SoCal let me know. I have a spare room that is always open. If you have never been to SoCal there is plenty to do exploring both on and off the trails. I work 14 on/14 off too so have lots of free time.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Big Congrats on the move and the new Cabin! What an awesome adventure and New Start! I’m totally Jealous... looking forward to seeing your Exploring Pics. [emoji1360]

Jsouder53

Hooked
Yes sir will do. And if you ever wanna make a trip to SoCal let me know. I have a spare room that is always open. If you have never been to SoCal there is plenty to do exploring both on and off the trails. I work 14 on/14 off too so have lots of free time.

Thank you very much! That is definitely on my list for places to visit [emoji106] I don’t really have a spare room, but you’re welcome to tent it in the yard lol

Big Congrats on the move and the new Cabin! What an awesome adventure and New Start! I’m totally Jealous... looking forward to seeing your Exploring Pics. [emoji1360]

Thank you! And those pictures will be here eventually!

Jsouder53

Hooked
Congrats to you guys! That cabin in the mountains has to be a dream come true!

Congratulations man! You are going to love the peace and QUIET!

Thank you! It is absolutely a dream come true, especially the peace and quiet... the only obnoxious neighbors we have are the birds and I think I can live with that [emoji23] It actually adds to the peacefulness and tranquility

Last edited:

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Found an awesome cabin near the mountains to move into! View attachment 303502 View attachment 303503 it’s definitely a dream home for us that wasn’t expected! From a “beach bungalow” to a “mountain cabin”

That’s looks awesome! Glad you guys made the trip safely. Just gotta start prepping for winter, it’ll be there shortly. Actually heard they had a light snowfall this week.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Wow, talk about extremes. I hope the change doesn’t cause culture shock. Looks rustic, but you’re young.

Haha yup! Definitely the extremes, but we’ve always love staying in rustic log cabins whenever we took trips to the Carolinas which was a couple times a year (typically thanksgiving). This cabin is definitely rustic! Has the dust and dirt to go with it lol plenty of small remodeling to do, nothing we can’t handle... my wife has the Pinterest ideas and I have the knowhow to make it happen [emoji106]

Jsouder53

Hooked
Short List

So after living in the mountains for just a few short weeks, regearing is definitely on my short list! Financially, we will be sticking with 35s and the stock d30 longer then anticipated (fly fishing and ski passes are in place of the pro rock and 37s :crazyeyes:).

Also, after running the national forest trails we will definitely be replacing those crappy RC shocks and control arms... terrible ride quality! :shock:

So here is the short list:

1) 4.88s! (also new axle seals)
2) c-gussets (maybe some ball joints)
3) shocks (maybe Ranchos, hopefully Kings)
4) evo long arm kit

WJCO

Meme King
So I am looking into getting gears here shortly and have one main question.

Do I need the master overhaul kit???

Might as well. You will need nearly all of the kit anyways. You can get lucky reusing the old bearings, but they can also be damaged during disassembly and isn't worth the risk IMO. Plus, you're going through all the time and money to do the job, so new bearings would be a safe move. All needed bearings come in the master install kit. I did ours recently and did a write-up on it. If you follow this link, you should be able to see why you really should get the master kit. Everything (other than the dummy bearings and the gears themselves) came with the master install kit: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...in-Re-gearing-a-JK-Doing-your-own-re-gear-DIY

Jsouder53

Hooked
Might as well. You will need nearly all of the kit anyways. You can get lucky reusing the old bearings, but they can also be damaged during disassembly and isn't worth the risk IMO. Plus, you're going through all the time and money to do the job, so new bearings would be a safe move. All needed bearings come in the master install kit. I did ours recently and did a write-up on it. If you follow this link, you should be able to see why you really should get the master kit. Everything (other than the dummy bearings and the gears themselves) came with the master install kit: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...in-Re-gearing-a-JK-Doing-your-own-re-gear-DIY

That’s quite the process! Thank you for writing that up! Unfortunately my new place doesn’t have a garage otherwise I would invest in the tools and do it...

One more question, does the kit come with axle seals? I have diff fluid leaking out the passenger side.

WJCO

Meme King
One more question, does the kit come with axle seals? I have diff fluid leaking out the passenger side.

Axle seals are not included. However, either front or rear, this is the best time to do it as the labor is only slightly extra. Maybe an hour additional labor for each axle at shop rate.

On the front, only the seals are needed. On the rear, you will need a new seal, new axle bearing, and new bearing retainer because the bearing and retainer have to be cut off to get to the seal.

Top Bottom