The Animal-JK build

Ya wind will do that!!! Brutal on driving just the jeep, cant imagine pulling a trailer in it!?!?! That is pretty lite though and shouldnt be a problem with either gear you choose. I would go with the 5.13s though!

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Ya wind will do that!!! Brutal on driving just the jeep, cant imagine pulling a trailer in it!?!?! That is pretty lite though and shouldnt be a problem with either gear you choose. I would go with the 5.13s though!

The tires really feel like they want to follow the ruts in the road. Almost like they are doing the driving. The steering acts like the suppressor can't handle the bigger tires. I drove without a steering suppressor when I had the 32s on and it felt like it does now. It feels squishy when I turn the wheel if that makes sense.

Edit: After getting the gears in the Jeep drives like a dream! I think the first tire shop didn't do a good alignment. :mad:

Last edited:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I love my 4.88's, but if I had to tow with my jeep I'd go 5.13's.:yup:

Good to know. This seems to be the general consensus. :thumb:

Looks like I'll head toward the 5.13s.

Have any of you guys ever changed out gears? Not sure I want to attempt it.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Finally started trimming my fenders. Don't have the liners back in but it looks good. Still need a little finishing work also. Headed to get my 5.13s tomorrow morning bright and early.:rock:

That color difference is the dew. Very humid here today.

Attachments

• IMG_2793.jpg
    IMG_2793.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_2794.jpg
    IMG_2794.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 355

MTG

Caught the Bug
Finally started trimming my fenders. Don't have the liners back in but it looks good. Still need a little finishing work also. Headed to get my 5.13s tomorrow morning bright and early.:rock:

That color difference is the dew. Very humid here today.

I have to say that I didn't think I would like color matched flares trimmed, but the few I have seen do look good. Including yours. :thumb:

Are you going to use trim on the edges or leave it raw?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
cant wait to see what you think on gears, looking at doing mine down the road, 4.10 are annoying on the way to wheel where im at, but not bad enough yet to make me want to spend the $$$ yet. Also interested to see what you do with the steering stablilizer as im in the same boat as you. Im tempted to try the redneck ram assist system or the diy one that prime went with.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I have to say that I didn't think I would like color matched flares trimmed, but the few I have seen do look good. Including yours. :thumb:

Are you going to use trim on the edges or leave it raw?

After looking at them in the daylight I think I'll probably go raw. They aren't quite as straight as I want so I will continue to work on them with the rasp until they are perfect👍.

I'm kind of anal like that. I'll probably also look at getting some touch up paint. The paint held up really well.

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
cant wait to see what you think on gears, looking at doing mine down the road, 4.10 are annoying on the way to wheel where im at, but not bad enough yet to make me want to spend the $$$ yet. Also interested to see what you do with the steering stablilizer as im in the same boat as you. Im tempted to try the redneck ram assist system or the diy one that prime went with.

Yeah the 4.10 are a little sluggish for sure. Animal is up on the rack now.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370872008.827930.jpg

It will be nice to have some power back!

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I've been stuck in the office and super busy but I am finally turning loose. I finished the first step of the gear break in. Drove the final 15-20 mi yesterday. It was 20 minutes of pure heaven. :yup:

The first thing I noticed about the 5.13s was how easy the reverse and take off were. I really really like them so far. My shift points seem a little earlier then what they were with the 32s and 4.10 but it's is not a problem. I can actually accelerate while in 6th again, even up hill. I only have about 50 miles on the 5.13s so far and I'm going a little easy on them but WOW what a difference from 4.10 and 37s!! I'd almost say it's zippy.:rock:

I'm going to finish trimming the rear fenders today and I'll post up some pics. We have a Father's Day weekend planned at Hidden Falls ORV park Friday - Sunday. I'm really excited!! :rock:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I've been stuck in the office and super busy but I am finally turning loose. I finished the first step of the gear break in. Drove the final 15-20 mi yesterday.

I only have about 50 miles on the 5.13s so far and I'm going a little easy

Isn't the gear break in 500 miles? That's what I am guessing you meant?

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Isn't the gear break in 500 miles? That's what I am guessing you meant?

Yes 500 mi total but the very first step is to drive 15-20 miles then stop and let the diffs cool down completely. Do that 3 times total then put regular miles on up to 500. At 500 you change the gear oil and check the gears. I guess your done after that.

Edit: They say if you don't intend to tow then 250 is good but I will be towing our little camper around so I'm going the full 500. Honestly I have alot of driving to do. :)

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Okay so the trip to Hidden Falls was great except for the tent :). There was no breeze on Friday night so it was really hot. Think I'm putting the tent away for cooler weather. :D

I'll post up the few pics I took. I'm waiting to get some pics from friends also. Lots of limestone ledges and rocks. Very nice place to visit smack dab in the middle of Texas hill country.

That's my ugly mug holding the snake. Honey Badger don't give a shit bout snakes. :)
IMG_2970.jpg

I had to drive to the top of this hill so I could be the winch point for everyone else! My Jeep is a real Animal now! :thumb:
IMG_2800.jpg IMG_2803.jpg IMG_2805.jpg IMG_2813.jpg IMG_2819.jpg
There's always at least one Redneck around! That crazy sheep stayed on the antenna all weekend :cheesy:
IMG_2828.jpg IMG_2832.jpg

We even let our friends in the little ATV come along.
IMG_2835.jpg

Last edited:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
So we left TX Thursday for a family trip to Baily CO and caught a few easy trails on the way up. We drove up Phantom Canyon Rd. yesterday and then headed up Gold Camp Road to CO Springs. Nice views and cool history. Here are a few pics.

IMG_9066.jpg

IMG_9057.jpg

IMG_9069.jpg

IMG_9073.jpg

IMG_9106.jpg

IMG_9117.jpg

IMG_9149.jpg

Top Bottom