ProRock Paint Problems?

Aermotor -- Sorry you had this problem, and something isn't right. We're back-tracking your order through our system to see if something odd was requested when it built. Please give us a couple of days to sort things out and get back to you.

And this is why Dynatrac is better than all of the other axle vendors, they are willing to do right by their customers.
Great Customer Service!!

First thing is I personally would not have painted it. I would have left it as this qualifies as a manufacturer defect in my book and I would have pressed the issue some more. Being in LA if I were in your shoes I would have driven down to their office. I understand Dynatrac can't put a time frame on the paint job but you are within the warranty period and the issue does not appear to be normal wear and tear. With that said I'm not sure why it's been recommended that you contact Evo. They are a vendor and not the manufacturer. I think you did right by contacting Dynatrac first and waiting for a response even though you didn't get the response you were looking for. Por 15 ftw

Lol. If the axle was painted by EVO (which, by the way, is sometimes the case), then how the fuck is this a "manufacturer defect"?

The correct thing to do is contact both companies to figure out who painted the axle.

Aermotor -- Sorry you had this problem, and something isn't right. We're back-tracking your order through our system to see if something odd was requested when it built. Please give us a couple of days to sort things out and get back to you.

Thanks Dynatrac. There was nothing odd about the order, it was a PR44 complete housing with prosteers, then EVO swapped in my inernals from my Rubicon.

I got an email back from you guys on Tuesday.

Dynatrac's response was not helpful at all, it was canned frankly, and they didn't respond to my follow up email.

If you don't mind me asking, what did they tell you?

Surprised Eddie hasn't weighed in. I'm sure he's seen more of the axles up close than many others... :bowdown:

Sorry, just saw this thread now.

Eddie is on the road. Contrary to popular belief, he doesn't spend all day watching the forum. ;)

What Sharkey said ^^^. As much as I enjoy being online and watching the forum, I try to spend most of my time out wheeling or out in the garage working on Jeeps. When I'm not, I'm typically working on trip reports, write-ups or new videos.

Thanks for chiming in Dynatrac. I'm glad to see you're looking into this.

So you say ore didn't build the axle then said you bought a housing from dynatrac. So ore did build the axle.

Did you buy a complete axle setup from dynatrac or not?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

^ Sounds like he did not. The internals were swapped over by EVO. This very well could have been a bare housing because it clearly wasn't shipped ready to bolt in and go.

^^^^I just had ORE install my PR44 the way AERMOTOR did his. Mine was a complete axle housing with prosteers then ORE took my internals from the D44, added RSC axle shafts, and installed it into my JKU. It came completely painted from Dynatrac. ORE had to do some touch up paint in areas where they had to do some welding. I'm sure Dynatrac will make good on their product. By the looks of where the paint is flaking off, I'd agree it wasn't prepped right or was not primed.

Lol. If the axle was painted by EVO (which, by the way, is sometimes the case), then how the fuck is this a "manufacturer defect"?

The correct thing to do is contact both companies to figure out who painted the axle.
First off I highly doubt Dynatrac ships out bare axles to the average consumer. I base this off one of the Wayalife videos in which the axle was painted with the exception of the suspension brackets as they were only tack welded knowing they'd be coming off. Secondly in looking at the pictures in question the paint is missing on parts of the brackets, axle tube and housing. Using deductive reasoning my guess is manufacturer defect due to poor prep work. The correct this to do is contact the person who makes the product and not the one who sells the product. If you read Dynatracs warranty you'll clearly see they require you to contact them direct within 10 days of finding any said issues.

First off I highly doubt Dynatrac ships out bare axles to the average consumer. I base this off one of the Wayalife videos in which the axle was painted with the exception of the suspension brackets as they were only tack welded knowing they'd be coming off. Secondly in looking at the pictures in question the paint is missing on parts of the brackets, axle tube and housing. Using deductive reasoning my guess is manufacturer defect due to poor prep work. The correct this to do is contact the person who makes the product and not the one who sells the product. If you read Dynatracs warranty you'll clearly see they require you to contact them direct within 10 days of finding any said issues.

Really! I know I have a great relationship with my off-road shop and If they installed parts that I'm having issues with, I'm definitely going to contact my shop first to resolve it. And especially since the part was installed by off-road evolution who installs a shit ton of dynatrac parts.

So you say ore didn't build the axle then said you bought a housing from dynatrac. So ore did build the axle.

Did you buy a complete axle setup from dynatrac or not?

No, I didn't. I bought the complete axle housing through EVO who ordered it directly from Dynatrac, as usual. Obviously you know EVO does not build Dynatrac axles. EVO simply stuffed the guts in it. That is all. There is no way the axles come unpainted.

No, I didn't. I bought the complete axle housing through EVO who ordered it directly from Dynatrac, as usual. Obviously you know EVO does not build Dynatrac axles. EVO simply stuffed the guts in it. That is all. There is no way the axles come unpainted.

Ore not evo. If they put the guts in it they built it.

Ore not evo. If they put the guts in it they built it.

Agree to disagree. I know you know ORE does not build/make Dynatrac axles. We're talking semantic circles here. They don't machine them. They don't manufacture them. They don't weld them. They don't paint them. They don't build them. They may assemble their internals from time to time based on customer spec and that is the extent of it. They didn't build/make a ProRock 44, they stuffed it. Like a thanksgiving turkey. Like a jelly donut. I'm making myself hungry.

Really! I know I have a great relationship with my off-road shop and If they installed parts that I'm having issues with, I'm definitely going to contact my shop first to resolve it. And especially since the part was installed by off-road evolution who installs a shit ton of dynatrac parts.
Your logic is flawed. Looks like some people here might need to read Dynatracs warranty statement but here's the cliff notes.

12 mo warranty from when it ships
10 days to notify them once defect is found
Owner responsible for shipping charges to/from Dynatrac
All repairs to be performed at Dynatrac in Huntington Beach

It's pretty clear Dynatrac is the issuer of the warranty, not the shop that installed the part, so while ORE might have a better working relationship with Dynatrac than other shops they still are not responsible for honoring the warranty.

I think Aermotor did the right thing by contacting Dynatrac directly before posting in the forum. Unfortunately he didn't get the result he was looking for. Clearly Dynatrac makes a quality product and hopefully they take care of him if in fact there was an issue. If they determine it to be something else or normal wear and tear I'd like to hear that to.

I'm curious to see how this turns out as I'm not 100% pleased with Dynatrac's service. In my case I purchased their Hardcore Axle package and was quoted 8 weeks. Axles were ordered 2/17 and I received them 6/1...you do the math. To be fair my original set was ready 2nd week of May but I was asked if they could give my order to another customer who's set wasn't going to be ready in time. I did so under the agreement that I would get my order no later than 6/1. Even then it took a phone call to Steve to put a rush on one of the axles. Anyways it would appear they bit off a little more than they could chew in an attempt to regain some of the sales they were losing to the Ultimate Dana offerings. I'm just hoping this paint issue is not a sign of cutting corners since they are back logged.

Their email response is in my original post as a quote. Thanks Eddie!

Sorry, I don't recall seeing it before. While it may not have been the response you were hoping to get, I didn't think it sounded "canned" or "not helpful". You said you were playing in "major mud in a 'dry' lake bed" out in the desert and to be fair, unlike the mud holes people play in back east, the lake beds in the Mojave are heavily concentrated with salts and other corrosive minerals that have been deposited there over thousands of years. I try my hardest to stay out of them because of it. That being said, unless you asked for some kind of compensation, their suggestion to use a "good general primer and spray paint for touch up" doesn't sound unreasonable to me. Of course, I personally would recommend cleaning things up and then using some VHT frame paint instead as primer isn't needed with it.

While I seriously doubt yours came to ORE unpainted, it's a stretch to say with absolute certainty that yours didn't. I have seen plenty of completed raw axles at ORE in the past.

I'm curious to see how this turns out as I'm not 100% pleased with Dynatrac's service. In my case I purchased their Hardcore Axle package and was quoted 8 weeks. Axles were ordered 2/17 and I received them 6/1...you do the math. To be fair my original set was ready 2nd week of May but I was asked if they could give my order to another customer who's set wasn't going to be ready in time. I did so under the agreement that I would get my order no later than 6/1. Even then it took a phone call to Steve to put a rush on one of the axles. Anyways it would appear they bit off a little more than they could chew in an attempt to regain some of the sales they were losing to the Ultimate Dana offerings.

To be fair, you yourself said that your "original set was ready 2nd week of May" but that you told them to "give your order to another customer". Of course, that was your choice to do as was your decision to not cancel your order, demand a refund and buy something else.

I'm just hoping this paint issue is not a sign of cutting corners since they are back logged.

LOL!! We're talking about paint that had caustic mud baked onto it. In spite of it, Dynatrac came on here, over the weekend and said they would look into it once they get back in. Maybe I'm going out on a limb here but that seems like a lot more than most companies would do.

2nd week of May still put them a month behind schedule, instead of 6 weeks, and I know of at least 2 other people that placed orders that did not arrive in time including one member here who had to reschedule his appointment for work at ORE because of the delay. Dynatrac may be a sponsor of the forum but people need to know they aren't perfect and there have been some hiccups along the road for some of us. I'm not bad mouthing Dynatrac I'm just stating some facts and concerns I have come to realize after placing my order. Eddie your option of canceling and buying something else isn't realistic especially when you are 8 weeks into the wait and have appointments made. While I am disappointed with the timeline issue I will say that all my communications with Dynatrac have been pleasant including meeting them in Moab during EJS.

2nd week of May still put them a month behind schedule, instead of 6 weeks, and I know of at least 2 other people that placed orders that did not arrive in time including one member here who had to reschedule his appointment for work at ORE because of the delay. Dynatrac may be a sponsor of the forum but people need to know they aren't perfect and there have been some hiccups along the road for some of us. I'm not bad mouthing Dynatrac I'm just stating some facts and concerns I have come to realize after placing my order. Eddie your option of canceling and buying something else isn't realistic especially when you are 8 weeks into the wait and have appointments made. While I am disappointed with the timeline issue I will say that all my communications with Dynatrac have been pleasant including meeting them in Moab during EJS.

6 weeks or 8 weeks? You've said both now. You place your order on 2/17 which was a Friday. You order didn't even get processed until mid week the following week just like any other order from any other company. So it took them 9.5 weeks to get it. They were a week and a half behind on a $15k order. I don't see that as the big issue you are making it out to be.

2nd week of May still put them a month behind schedule, instead of 6 weeks, and I know of at least 2 other people that placed orders that did not arrive in time including one member here who had to reschedule his appointment for work at ORE because of the delay.

:shock: Say it isn't so - something you ordered for your Jeep actually took a bit longer to get than you had hoped for. :rolleyes2:

Dynatrac may be a sponsor of the forum but people need to know they aren't perfect and there have been some hiccups along the road for some of us. I'm not bad mouthing Dynatrac I'm just stating some facts and concerns I have come to realize after placing my order.

:sigh: Here we go with the "sponsor of the forum" BS.

To be perfectly honest, Dynatrac is more than just an advertiser here, they are a personal friend. In spite of that fact, no, they aren't perfect and if anything, I'd be surprised if they didn't have some hiccups. Not saying you should be okay with it but you're kidding yourself if you really think anybody here has been trying to stop you from letting other people know about your experiences. :naw:

Eddie your option of canceling and buying something else isn't realistic especially when you are 8 weeks into the wait and have appointments made.

Right, because appointments can't be rescheduled and a shop will only take your money if you're ready to go when they tell you to be there. :naw:

While I am disappointed with the timeline issue I will say that all my communications with Dynatrac have been pleasant including meeting them in Moab during EJS.

Maybe you should have used your time to communicate just how disappointed you were with their service.

Top Bottom