Power Steering Loss on a Jeep Gladiator

NPC 6060⁸42

I just had this happen to me in my 22 Gladiator Rubicon. 22 degrees outside and doing 70 on the freeway and lost power steering. No lights or anything on the dash. Pulled over and the power steering came back when I got down to ~20mph or so.
Cold weather definitely seems to play a part. I did notice my battery voltage was up in the 15s for a bit of my drive. Could be a battery issue. I think I’m going to delete the aux and put in a better main battery.
Anyone know how large of a main battery you can fit? Or the best one? Yellow top?
Josh how many miles are on your Gladiator? I keep reading the factory batteries only seem to last two years then they both need to be replaced but I don’t know if that’s true or not or if it’s weather related either. I know extreme cold or heat are detrimental to battery life.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I keep reading the factory batteries only seem to last two years then they both need to be replaced but I don’t know if that’s true or not or if it’s weather related either.
I know the internet is filled with all kinds of great information but 2 years? Really??

All I can say is that my 2020 Gladiator that I bought in 2019 is STILL running the factory installed batteries - both main and auxiliary.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I know the internet is filled with all kinds of great information but 2 years? Really??

All I can say is that my 2020 Gladiator that I bought in 2019 is STILL running the factory installed batteries - both main and auxiliary.
Same with ours, I did lose power steering briefly on the new years trip.., umm

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Really? Hmmm, I'm sure what we were doing wasn't easy on the power steering system. I do wonder now if that may have had something to do with it.
Same, it’s back to normal. I thought maybe it overheated? But we weren’t going that hard. We had plenty of air flow that’s for sure.

NPC 6060⁸42

Thanks that makes more sense. I have gone through two batteries in the last twenty years in my Ford Explorer but it’s been outside its whole life. My Gladiator is living the good life in the garage every night unless we‘re away from home of course. So I would expect the batteries to last at least as long as the old Ford.

WAMPA

Small update,

Going on a week since my visit to the dealer , they ordered a new power steering pump/motor assembly. they said it was a couple weeks out.

Crossing my fingers it fixes the problem and that I dont end up with the problem coming back next winter.

ducatijosh

Small update,

Going on a week since my visit to the dealer , they ordered a new power steering pump/motor assembly. they said it was a couple weeks out.

Crossing my fingers it fixes the problem and that I dont end up with the problem coming back next winter.

I have a huge hunch that it's battery-related, it's the only thing that changes drastically like that in cold weather. I noticed my alternator was pushing 15amps the morning that it happened to me. And these smart alternators also do not charge your battery while on the freeway to save MPG, I believe it's only when braking or idling.

WAMPA

I have a huge hunch that it's battery-related, it's the only thing that changes drastically like that in cold weather. I noticed my alternator was pushing 15amps the morning that it happened to me. And these smart alternators also do not charge your battery while on the freeway to save MPG, I believe it's only when braking or idling.
My 2022 has been doing it since new last year my jeep also is stored in a insulated garage, it's also happened a couple minutes from home or a hour or two after.

WAMPA

New power steering pump installed, they took it for a drive first thing in the morning, and again later in the day, both the shop foreman and the manager drove it.

But as luck would have it its unseasonably warm out now. So going to have to wait until the temperature drops to test it again.

What's strange is on the work notes it says they took a AB pump out and put a AB pump in, so the new pump is the same revision , maybe mine was just defective.. :unsure:

Jtbobby

This same thing happened to me driving on snowy roads. My rear end started to slide, I quickly counter steered and lost power steering. Slowed down to pull off the road to check things out and got my steering back. Hasn’t happened since. It was very cold that day too.

Top Bottom