Power Steering Loss on a Jeep Gladiator

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We had a similar issue with one here at the shop. Ended up one of the pins on the electric pump pushed out of the plug. It would work for a few seconds and then stop working intermittently.
Hmmm, thanks for the tip. I'll give it a look.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, I checked what I could but could find nothing and haven't had this problem come back again since making this post back in May, or at least, up until yesterday. Like before, it happened when I about to try and pass someone on the highway - I stepped on the gas, the engine revved up and all of a sudden, no power steering. What I did notice this time around is when I let off the gas, the engine didn't immediately let go, as in, it held the rev for quite a few seconds longer. I'm pretty sure that happened last time too. Of course, as soon as I started to pull over and slowed up to about 25 mph, the power steering came back to life again. After that, I tried to replicate things and make it happen again but, no go. Damnedest thing.

So, I checked what I could but could find nothing and haven't had this problem come back again since making this post back in May, or at least, up until yesterday. Like before, it happened when I about to try and pass someone on the highway - I stepped on the gas, the engine revved up and all of a sudden, no power steering. What I did notice this time around is when I let off the gas, the engine didn't immediately let go, as in, it held the rev for quite a few seconds longer. I'm pretty sure that happened last time too. Of course, as soon as I started to pull over and slowed up to about 25 mph, the power steering came back to life again. After that, I tried to replicate things and make it happen again but, no go. Damnedest thing.
You have the full PSC correct with belt driven pump and reservoir.? First thing I want to think causing the issue would be the electric pump but that’s gone. Hmm…

edit: forgot this is for the ACCUAIR JT

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You have the full PSC correct with belt driven pump and reservoir.? First thing I want to think causing the issue would be the electric pump but that’s gone. Hmm…

edit: forgot this is for the ACCUAIR JT
LOL - yeah, this is not on our Gladiator but the ACCUAIR JT. It still has the electric pump. And, I should note that we never had this problem on JET, Pippi or our JT back when it was still running a stock steering pump.

LOL - yeah, this is not on our Gladiator but the ACCUAIR JT. It still has the electric pump. And, I should note that we never had this problem on JET, Pippi or our JT back when it was still running a stock steering pump.
Seems like the common denominator is it happens when under heavy acceleration or the one time letting off the gas to slow down. It really sounds like the pump may be failing and/or something with the electronics under a quick load or change is tripping the pump? If the pump hasn’t been messed with, the plugs/pins should be ok and those plugs don’t easily come loose or come out.

If it’s not under warranty, I have a spare pump I can send if needed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Seems like the common denominator is it happens when under heavy acceleration or the one time letting off the gas to slow down. It really sounds like the pump may be failing and/or something with the electronics under a quick load or change is tripping the pump? If the pump hasn’t been messed with, the plugs/pins should be ok and those plugs don’t easily come loose or come out.

If it’s not under warranty, I have a spare pump I can send if needed.
yeah, I'm thinking the problem is with the electric pump. It's tough being that this isn't my Jeep as I don't want to do more to it than I should.

Ddays

Hooked
Can't wait to see what shitty system the next gen Wrangler's are gonna come with. Probably something off of a goddam Opel

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can't wait to see what shitty system the next gen Wrangler's are gonna come with. Probably something off of a goddam Opel
I hate to say it but it wouldn't surprise me. For sure, I am a big fan of Jeep AND even technology but lately, I've been having a really hard time getting behind either of them.

JohninSC

yeah, I'm thinking the problem is with the electric pump. It's tough being that this isn't my Jeep as I don't want to do more to it than I should.
I just found my plug on my Power steering pump to be loose, the red lock on the plug was not engaged. I took our 2018 out on Saturday with no issues then cranked it up on Sunday with no warning lights and no power steering. Maybe something to look at.

WAMPA

Sorry for bumping a old thread

Having this power steering issue with my 2022 gladiator Rubi since new, it's been to the dealership 4 times, they did a software update on it in the fall but it just happened again couple days ago. And then now this morning.

I thought it only happened when it was cold out, and accelerating up to 100km/h (62mph) and then the power steering would come back when I slowed down to 45km/h.

Today it happened at speeds below 80km/h

Dealer service manager is going to escalate to jeep but this is so dangerous I am actually concerned with my wife driving it.

Anyone else have any luck finding a cause?

My gladiator is stock other than a front bumper winch and some rock slider/steps. It's actually held me back from lifting it etc.

Sure makes me miss my 2011 JKU Rubi.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
Sorry for bumping a old thread

Having this power steering issue with my 2022 gladiator Rubi since new, it's been to the dealership 4 times, they did a software update on it in the fall but it just happened again couple days ago. And then now this morning.

I thought it only happened when it was cold out, and accelerating up to 100km/h (62mph) and then the power steering would come back when I slowed down to 45km/h.

Today it happened at speeds below 80km/h

Dealer service manager is going to escalate to jeep but this is so dangerous I am actually concerned with my wife driving it.

Anyone else have any luck finding a cause?

My gladiator is stock other than a front bumper winch and some rock slider/steps. It's actually held me back from lifting it etc.

Sure makes me miss my 2011 JKU Rubi.
have you tried bleeding the power steering? I haven't had this specific issue but dealt with air in my JKU hydraulic assist and had to re-bleed the system after finding signs of a leak in a steering box connection, it was sucking in air but took awhile to locate.
I would check that all the fittings are tight, check the fluid level and bleed the system - be sure to have extra fluid to refill as needed.

WAMPA

have you tried bleeding the power steering? I haven't had this specific issue but dealt with air in my JKU hydraulic assist and had to re-bleed the system after finding signs of a leak in a steering box connection, it was sucking in air but took awhile to locate.
I would check that all the fittings are tight, check the fluid level and bleed the system - be sure to have extra fluid to refill as needed.
I haven't done that being that it's done it since new I didn't want to mess with it until the dealer is able to do some sort of troubleshooting.

jwolfejt

Caught the Bug
For what its worth my Dad's Honda had this same exact problem. It turns out that it was really picky with voltage and the battery was not fully charged as his car sat for a while before he started driving it again - the only diagnostic codes that would show up is on the dealers fancy scan tools so even if you plugged and obd2 reader in it - odds are it would not show anything. Many people with german cars (are notorious for this) report the same problems as well... 99% of these weird glitches comes down to a battery that isn't outputting as expected or a bad ground.

WAMPA

My gladiator has been at the dealership since Monday they still can't reproduce the problem or find anything, said they are waiting on jeep to contact them.

Redicilous I've been having this problem since new.

II even sent them this forum thread to review.

WAMPA

So now they are saying its the power steering pump that's failed according to Chrysler engineering and that its 2 weeks away. Meanwhile my jeep will sit in a open lot through the coldest part of the winter , but then tells me I shouldn't be driving it but I have been driving it like this for 20,000kms and over a year?

Top Bottom