Power Steering Loss on a Jeep Gladiator

jeeeep

Hooked
So now they are saying its the power steering pump that's failed according to Chrysler engineering and that its 2 weeks away. Meanwhile my jeep will sit in a open lot through the coldest part of the winter , but then tells me I shouldn't be driving it but I have been driving it like this for 20,000kms and over a year?
yeah, now that they've confirmed it, it's a accident waiting to happen liability and they have to get it on record they instructed you not to drive it.

It'll get worse and they are trying to avoid a nationwide recall which will happen if an accident occurs as a result of faulty steering pump.

WAMPA

They should give you a loaner if it’s too dangerous to drive. Maybe try Jeep (doesn’t) cares?
They want to leave the jeep outside in their lot for 2 weeks in the snow etc, which I am not impressed with.

And give me a loaner but charge me so I can get even a reasonable deductible on the loaner.

Maybe if they had dealt with this last year I wouldn't be in this situation.

NPC 6060⁸42

Thats crap. I’ve never heard of being charged for a loaner so the deductible is reasonable. I always thought my vehicles coverage would cover rentals and loaners ETC.. I keep my cars garaged too but honestly don’t think it will hurt anything for it to sit outside for a couple weeks I mean it gets driven outside. They should have had it fixed already but from what I’m hearing and reading Jeep dealers aren’t always the greatest as far as things like that go.

Thats crap. I’ve never heard of being charged for a loaner so the deductible is reasonable. I always thought my vehicles coverage would cover rentals and loaners ETC.. I keep my cars garaged too but honestly don’t think it will hurt anything for it to sit outside for a couple weeks I mean it gets driven outside. They should have had it fixed already but from what I’m hearing and reading Jeep dealers aren’t always the greatest as far as things like that go.
The -41 degrees from the winter storm does not seem good for the Jeep!

Winnipeg already has harsh enough weather as it is.

NPC 6060⁸42

The -41 degrees from the winter storm does not seem good for the Jeep!

Winnipeg already has harsh enough weather as it is.
Yeah I’d say it’s time to move. I grew up in Rochester NY which gets its share of below zero weather. Moved away about as soon as I could. Batteries don’t like it that cold that’s for sure. Always had to carry jumper cables when I lived there. Though we had a so called polar vortex a few years ago with double digit below zero F days In Virginia. Might have to start looking out West. Retirements coming up in a few years I think I’d rather be somewhere warmer.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yeah I’d say it’s time to move. I grew up in Rochester NY which gets its share of below zero weather. Moved away about as soon as I could. Batteries don’t like it that cold that’s for sure. Always had to carry jumper cables when I lived there. Though we had a so called polar vortex a few years ago with double digit below zero F days In Virginia. Might have to start looking out West. Retirements coming up in a few years I think I’d rather be somewhere warmer.
Winters there are probably a bit different than when you grew up. They are certainly different now than when I grew up up there. Lot less cold and snowy.

jwolfejt

Caught the Bug
Virginia weather is very mild - they do go crazy whenever first snow is reported ... we literally had plow trucks salt the roads and ready to plow because some rain came through. I've gotten so sick of driving it through the wash every other day to get the salt off (i did run pb blaster surface shield on the frame rails though). Last year i don't think we got any snow - maybe flurries (which they did panic for and salt all the roads).

NPC 6060⁸42

Winters there are probably a bit different than when you grew up. They are certainly different now than when I grew up up there. Lot less cold and snowy.
Are you saying I’m old? I do remember the winter of 78 we had snow drifted all the way up to the roof at my parents house. I went up there last year for Christmas and it snowed pretty good but your right not like those global cooling years. I think it was 77 when Newsweeks cover was all about the coming ice age and man made global cooling. Seemed fairly plausible when we got multiple big storms that next year.

NPC 6060⁸42

Virginia weather is very mild - they do go crazy whenever first snow is reported ... we literally had plow trucks salt the roads and ready to plow because some rain came through. I've gotten so sick of driving it through the wash every other day to get the salt off (i did run pb blaster surface shield on the frame rails though). Last year i don't think we got any snow - maybe flurries (which they did panic for and salt all the roads).
Yeah we got a decent covering last night and today. Probably three or four inches but the roads are covered in salt and that gravel they put down which tears up paint and windshields. I don’t think we’ve had any snow for a couple years before this and yeah they put so much down your vehicle turns white.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Are you saying I’m old? I do remember the winter of 78 we had snow drifted all the way up to the roof at my parents house. I went up there last year for Christmas and it snowed pretty good but your right not like those global cooling years. I think it was 77 when Newsweeks cover was all about the coming ice age and man made global cooling. Seemed fairly plausible when we got multiple big storms that next year.
I’m not saying it you did by the retiring comment. lol you got me beat by a lot of years I’m guessing. Farthest back I remember is the blizzard of 93.

ducatijosh

I just had this happen to me in my 22 Gladiator Rubicon. 22 degrees outside and doing 70 on the freeway and lost power steering. No lights or anything on the dash. Pulled over and the power steering came back when I got down to ~20mph or so.
Cold weather definitely seems to play a part. I did notice my battery voltage was up in the 15s for a bit of my drive. Could be a battery issue. I think I’m going to delete the aux and put in a better main battery.
Anyone know how large of a main battery you can fit? Or the best one? Yellow top?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I just had this happen to me in my 22 Gladiator Rubicon. 22 degrees outside and doing 70 on the freeway and lost power steering. No lights or anything on the dash. Pulled over and the power steering came back when I got down to ~20mph or so.
Cold weather definitely seems to play a part. I did notice my battery voltage was up in the 15s for a bit of my drive. Could be a battery issue. I think I’m going to delete the aux and put in a better main battery.
Anyone know how large of a main battery you can fit? Or the best one? Yellow top?
Deleting the aux battery is a bad idea.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Deleting the aux battery is a bad idea.
What OverlanderJK said ^^^

I don't know what social media whore is churching up this stupid idea but it's a bad one. The auxiliary battery exists to help protect your Jeep's computer from start ups. Removing it WILL cause damage to your computer over time. This is NOT an opinion but rather, comes straight from the engineers at Jeep.

Torrin

I don't know what social media whore is churching up this stupid idea but it's a bad one. The auxiliary battery exists to help protect your Jeep's computer from start ups. Removing it WILL cause damage to your computer over time. This is NOT an opinion but rather, comes straight from the engineers at Jeep.

The second battery is for smoother electronic stop/start. The 392 does not have an aux battery since there is no ESS. That is the best way to do a battery delete. :D

ducatijosh

I might reconsider then. Did you ever figure out your issue with the accuair Gladistor?

Top Bottom