Old news but in case there are any doubters - TeraFlex Tire Carrier Break

FuriousDz

Well, I have to say that this is even more troubling especially if you really did take the time to make sure everything fit snug up against the tire carrier and it still broke.

I agree. Well after your original thread I figured I'd make sure Id do whatever I could to try and minimize any movement and get it as close to the tailgate as possible, which is why I wound up modifying the rubber bumpstop for a more snug fit.

FuriousDz

I will have to keep an eye on it. I have a heavy 35 (Toyo) hanging on it. What did Teraflex say?

Northridge has sold a ton of these (bought mine from them) and I wonder if they have gotten feedback on failures.

I had a 37" Toyo which is not only heavy but wide so that alone pushes the tire further out.

At the time when I called teraflex it hadn't failed yet. They said they hadn't seen many cases but they would send me out the gusseted one anyway if I was concerned.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I would be interested to know at what point will stores like qtec, northridge, etc stop selling this product? I know its a hot item for them, but I would have trouble selling customer a product I know can be dangerous. Maybe is stores stopped selling them it would force Teraflex to recall them.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I would be interested to know at what point will stores like qtec, northridge, etc stop selling this product? I know its a hot item for them, but I would have trouble selling customer a product I know can be dangerous. Maybe is stores stopped selling them it would force Teraflex to recall them.

Interesting that you raise that point, because in a products liability case everyone in the stream of commerce can be held liable. Remember the Firestone debacle around 2000? It wasn't just Firestone that had to pony up in the lawsuits.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's funny, I posted this up on our Facebook page and already have guys like this chiming in...

Lee InDenver You guys are so dramatic. Contact TF and they'll get you the new design with no hassle. How come you don't mention that in your post?

Lee InDenver And instead of informing people on how to correct what you call a 'troubling' issue, you cause panic by emphasizing BREAK. You could better serve your subscribers by informing them on how to correct the situation. It's not like you're going to prevent anyone from purchasing the old style. But it is true, people who run the old style should be aware of what can happen and it's good that you bring light to the issue.

Of course, this guy isn't a member here, just your run of the mill FB troll but still, I find it amazing how they can actually suggest that this isn't a matter deserving dramatic attention. But then, what can I say, the thought of my tire flying through a window of another car and potentially killing the occupants is something that I do find alarming.

munstie

But Eddie it's your fault for not posting how to fix the problem. (Prime example of our warning label society) Yet he has yet to recognize that Terra Flex ignores the problem until it rears it's nasty head. Let em hate, but if a worse case scenario involved these people, I think there would be finger pointing at the very company they are defending.

Sent from the"Zone of Influence"

Aeraun

It's funny, I posted this up on our Facebook page and already have guys like this chiming in...

Of course, this guy isn't a member here, just your run of the mill FB troll but still, I find it amazing how they can actually suggest that this isn't a matter deserving dramatic attention. But then, what can I say, the thought of my tire flying through a window of another car and potentially killing the occupants is something that I do find alarming.

Lol it never ceases to amaze me. I honestly still find it unbelievable that people jump on you so much for stating something you have seen/experienced and present factual info for. Unless you are just that dedicated to bringing down choice companies that you'd mock up elaborate presentations of such circumstances. :eek:

I know you're at the point where you react mature enough to not waste your time with all the BS but I still say just don't sweat it. I'm not interested in this carrier at all but thanks again for all the info :beer:

The Force will be with you.... always

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
But Eddie it's your fault for not posting how to fix the problem. (Prime example of our warning label society) Yet he has yet to recognize that Terrace Flex ignores the problem until it rears it's nasty head. Let em hate, but if a worse case scenario involved these people, I think there would be finger pointing at the very company they are defending.

Sent from the"Zone of Influence"

Apparently :rolleyes2: As you can see in his most recent post....

Lee InDenver Yes, a true concern indeed. But if safety was actually on your mind, in your post you would have informed people on how to get the new version. You chose not to.

As you have pointed out, I am clearly at fault and the bad guy for not broadcasting to everyone how to get the new tire mount. As if it should be my responsibility. :rolleyes2:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

And not to mention the customer has to contact the company to get something that isn't going to break. If I spent that kind of money on that tire carrier the last thing I should have to do is contact them to get a replacement for something they know is a shitty design.

JayKay

Caught the Bug

Pretty funny this guy thinks your bashing the TF product. My question is how much R&D went into the second design? They thought they had the first design nailed, but obviously it has failed.

What I take from your thread is to check all your equipment and aftermarket parts often.

When I worked in a body shop, I saw what an F350 dually spare does when the cable breaks on the interstate and it goes through the windshield of an Xterra, not very pretty. Can't imagine what a 37" or even a 35" off the back jeep would do.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Lol it never ceases to amaze me. I honestly still find it unbelievable that people jump on you so much for stating something you have seen/experienced and present factual info for. Unless you are just that dedicated to bringing down choice companies that you'd mock up elaborate presentations of such circumstances. :eek:

I know you're at the point where you react mature enough to not waste your time with all the BS but I still say just don't sweat it. I'm not interested in this carrier at all but thanks again for all the info :beer:

The Force will be with you.... always

Thank you, I appreciate you being able to see things for what they really are. In spite of what some may choose to believe, I simply cannot make this stuff up and yeah, I won't lie, the thought of a tire flying at me on the highway is something I am very afraid of - true story, IT HAS HAPPEND and I was lucky enough to avoid it at the last second. The gal behind me wasn't so lucky and the damage it caused was terrifying.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Apparently :rolleyes2: As you can see in his most recent post....

As you have pointed out, I am clearly at fault and the bad guy for not broadcasting to everyone how to get the new tire mount. As if it should be my responsibility. :rolleyes2:

Some people need a babysitter? They ordered the first one, pretty sure anyone can handle getting the second. I don't have the TF carrier and I'm pretty sure if I did and it failed, I'd get my money back and go with a different product.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
And not to mention the customer has to contact the company to get something that isn't going to break. If I spent that kind of money on that tire carrier the last thing I should have to do is contact them to get a replacement for something they know is a shitty design.

To be clear, we're talking about a $700 for a tire carrier that's sold as being necessary and stronger than stock. To this day, I have yet to see a stock hinges fail or a tire carrier break so long as the spare was isolated properly. I just don't get why I'm the bad guy for informing people of this very real problem and not TeraFlex for keeping things quite and replacing a part they know to be faulty ONLY IF you are concerned enough to contact them about it.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
To be clear, we're talking about a $700 for a tire carrier that's sold as being necessary and stronger than stock. To this day, I have yet to see a stock hinges fail or a tire carrier break so long as the spare was isolated properly. I just don't get why I'm the bad guy for informing people of this very real problem and not TeraFlex for keeping things quite and replacing a part they know to be faulty ONLY IF you are concerned enough to contact them about it.

Even car manufacturers send out recall information to the owner if a known inferior part can cause a dangerous situation. I guess TF is waiting for people to get injured or worse before they're willing to contact their tire carrier consumers and get the bad parts replaced

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty funny this guy thinks your bashing the TF product. My question is how much R&D went into the second design? They thought they had the first design nailed, but obviously it has failed.

Honestly, it is my opinion that the real problem resides in the fact that their HD tire carrier has insufficient provisions to prevent jiggling of the spare. This is especially true if you are not running whatever very specific wheel and tire size they used to design the carrier. Even with gussets, I still feel that the overall design is weak being that the inherent problem has still not been addressed. Of course, what would I know.

What I take from your thread is to check all your equipment and aftermarket parts often.

Yes! And, this is true regardless of the manufacturer.

When I worked in a body shop, I saw what an F350 dually spare does when the cable breaks on the interstate and it goes through the windshield of an Xterra, not very pretty. Can't imagine what a 37" or even a 35" off the back jeep would do.

As mentioned above, I have seen it too and it was shocking.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

Yea Eddie, it's your duty to track down everyone who has ever bought this product, personally go over to their house, and fix it for them. What kind of person are you? :D

I was reading the facebook comments and there is some SERIOUS jimmy rustling going on.

To paraphrase Georce Carlin...."I don't concern myself with something as trivial as a 37" tire flying through the windshield of a minivan carrying a set of parents and 3 kids. These people are sitting in a fiery crash, bleeding from the ears, and the last thing they need is someone like me bothering them with stupid questions like are you ok. And besides...it happened all the way back there."

Last edited:

FuriousDz

Wow! Sorry for the SECOND round of grief you re getting for this Eddie. Just wanted to reinforce the importance of your first thread for those who still may be skeptical

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Even car manufacturers send out recall information to the owner if a known inferior part can cause a dangerous situation. I guess TF is waiting for people to get injured or worse before they're willing to contact their tire carrier consumers and get the bad parts replaced

Honestly, I hope it never comes to that.

Yea Eddie, it's your duty to track down everyone who has ever bought this product, personally go over to their house, and fix it for them. What kind of person are you? :D

Apparently, the kind of person who doesn't "actually have safety on my mind". :rolleyes2:

I was reading the facebook comments and there is some SERIOUS jimmy rustling going on.

To paraphrase Georce Carlin...."I don't concern myself with something as trivial as a 37" tire flying through the windshield of a minivan carrying a set of parents and 3 kids. These people are sitting in a fiery crash, bleeding from the ears, and the last thing they need is someone like me bothering them with stupid questions like are you ok. And besides...it happened all the way back there."

That's pretty good - I do miss George Carlin.

Wow! Sorry for the SECOND round of grief you re getting for this Eddie. Just wanted to reinforce the importance of your first thread for those who still may be skeptical

It's all good. It's my fault for posting it up on FB. Seeing this happen to you, I felt it would be a good idea to get the word out again. Of course, I knew it would come with the usual fanboys trolling me.

Top Bottom