Offroad Evolution shop thread!

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
This may not be the best place to ask, but I figured I'd give it a shot. Are there any rumors out there about building the Evo Mfg rear tire carrier setup in aluminum vs. the current DOM steel? Just curious.

supra_launch21v

Why aluminum? I had a genright alum tire carrier on my last jeep. They will work great until you hit something. I can also tell you that their warranty is pretty poor. If you off road you want steel and heavy duty.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
This may not be the best place to ask, but I figured I'd give it a shot. Are there any rumors out there about building the Evo Mfg rear tire carrier setup in aluminum vs. the current DOM steel? Just curious.

Why aluminum? I had a genright alum tire carrier on my last jeep. They will work great until you hit something. I can also tell you that their warranty is pretty poor. If you off road you want steel and heavy duty.

if i had to take a guess as to why jkdave asked its because of weight but also because of the quater pounder being aluminum. Also today on ORE and EVO MFG's facebook page i believe i saw a pic of evo rocker skins in aluminum which would be new. if so that means that Mel maybe considering doing the rear skins and carrier in aluminum as well.

I've backed into two trees with my carrier and while it wasn't a major hit, it only scuffed my paint. I have also drug my Aluminium PSC fenders down a rock wall and smacked several trees, only some sanding and paint required. Don't get me wrong, I know the steel is more robust but I prefer the weight savings over the difference. Just my $0.02...

supra_launch21v

if i had to take a guess as to why jkdave asked its because of weight but also because of the quater pounder being aluminum. Also today on ORE and EVO MFG's facebook page i believe i saw a pic of evo rocker skins in aluminum which would be new. if so that means that Mel maybe considering doing the rear skins and carrier in aluminum as well.

Interesting. I run PS aluminum fenders and a Genright front bumper. That's where I quit. And in retrospect, I probably shouldn't have done that. At 6450 lbs, what does another 50 mean anyway. I think the new model will bring out the aluminum products by force. The next model, in my opinion, will be all about light weight and being nimble. We shall see. Good information about the rocker skins.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
if i had to take a guess as to why jkdave asked its because of weight but also because of the quarter pounder being aluminum. Also today on ORE and EVO MFG's facebook page i believe i saw a pic of evo rocker skins in aluminum which would be new. if so that means that Mel maybe considering doing the rear skins and carrier in aluminum as well.

Exactly! For something that large, and hanging off the back, I'd be interested in reducing weight as much as possible.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Exactly! For something that large, and hanging off the back, I'd be interested in reducing weight as much as possible.

May be a nice idea. I would prefer the corners in steel and carrier in aluminum. Would have to make sure a good powdercoat was there to prevent galvanic corrosion.

Top Bottom