Hiking. Day, Thru, Section, Ultralight to Traditional

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I’m still a big fan of Lance. The way that whole story blew up was silly. Especially for THAT sport where doping was just standard operating procedure. lol

Anyhoo. Looks like a great hike and congrats on completing that challenge. Nice tanager too!

Well, I used to be a big fan of cycling, the Tour and Armstrong. So much so that I supported him and his charity whenever possible. I never believed the rumors, like others, believing that he was really good and had a great team of coaches, doctors, strategists and teammates. It was disappointing to learn the truth, but what bothers me is the depth to which the cheating, lying and deception went. The fact that he used his power to destroy careers of people that investigated his misconduct all the while maintaining his innocence. Greed, power and fame were his motivations. He deserves a lot more than what he got. I feel sorry for his kids.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Traveled 100 miles west to Devils Lake State Park for some hiking. It was a hot one at 90+ degrees so we ended up riding around in the Jeep more than anything. Our route included a ferry across the Wisconsin River:

IMG_9347.jpg

IMG_9346.jpg

IMG_9349.jpg

My brother in-law came along for the ride. It was his first time riding in a striped down Jeep. He seemed to enjoy it:

IMG_9348.jpg

Once we arrived at the park, we hiked the Balanced Rock Trail up the east bluff, 600ft straight up. View of Devils Lake:

IMG_9351.jpg

Back before the last glacier, Devils Lake was part of the Wisconsin River. When the glacier melted, glacial till filled the area and changed the route of the river while creating the lake. You can still see the river in the distance:

IMG_9361.jpg

Taking a break:

IMG_9352.jpg

IMG_9353.jpg

Found some wild flowers in bloom.

Wild Rose:

IMG_9354.jpg

Bees Balm:

IMG_9355.jpg

Hair Cap Moss:

IMG_9356.jpg

Yellow Star Flower:

IMG_9357.jpg

Harebell:

IMG_9359.jpg

Cinquefoil:

IMG_9362.jpg

This park features “Potholes”. Potholes are created by a small, hard rock like quartzite that gets trapped in a depression of a softer, sand stone rock. Add a waterfall that pushes the small rock and makes it swirl in the depression for million years and you end up with potholes:

IMG_9360.jpg

IMG_9363.jpg

IMG_9364.jpg

IMG_9365.jpg

It was a fun day!

Last edited:

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
Traveled 100 miles west to Devils Lake State Park for some hiking. It was a hot one at 90+ degrees so we ended up riding around in the Jeep more than anything. Our route included a ferry across the Wisconsin River:

View attachment 330328

View attachment 330329

View attachment 330330

My brother in-law came along for the ride. It was his first time riding in a striped down Jeep. He seemed to enjoy it:

View attachment 330331

Once we arrived at the park, we hiked the Balanced Rock Trail up the east bluff, 600ft straight up. View of Devils Lake:

View attachment 330332

Back before the last glacier, Devils Lake was part of the Wisconsin River. When the glacier melted, glacial till filled the area and changed the route of the river while creating the lake. You can still see the river in the distance:

View attachment 330333

Taking a break:

View attachment 330334

View attachment 330335

Found some wild flowers in bloom.

Wild Rose:

View attachment 330336

Bees Balm:

View attachment 330337

Hair Cap Moss:

View attachment 330338

Yellow Star Flower:

View attachment 330339

Harebell:

View attachment 330340

Cinquefoil:

View attachment 330341

This park features “Potholes”. Potholes are created by a small, hard rock like quartzite that gets trapped in a depression of a softer, sand stone rock. Add a waterfall that pushes the small rock and makes it swirl in the depression for million years and you end up with potholes:

View attachment 330342

View attachment 330343

View attachment 330344

View attachment 330345

It was a fun day!
Ya got some great pics! Looks like it was a fun day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
Summited Mount Baldy today, only took us about 10 hours [emoji23] now I’m exhausted.

Hit the trail at 7am
IMG_3992.jpg

So many wild flowers on the trail
IMG_4013.jpg

IMG_4025.jpg
IMG_4039.jpg
IMG_4068.jpg
IMG_4043.jpg

Made it back to the Jeep just as the storm and lightning came in
IMG_4076.jpg

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Summited Mount Baldy today, only took us about 10 hours [emoji23] now I’m exhausted.

Hit the trail at 7am
View attachment 330776

View attachment 330777

View attachment 330778
View attachment 330779
View attachment 330780
View attachment 330781

View attachment 330782

Wow, terrific pictures! 10hrs is quite the hike especially since 6hrs of it was probably up. Truth be told, going down gets to be tough after awhile too. Congratulations on making it to the top! The views look very rewarding!

Jsouder53

Hooked
Gotta earn that view!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Isn’t that for sure!

Wow, terrific pictures! 10hrs is quite the hike especially since 6hrs of it was probably up. Truth be told, going down gets to be tough after awhile too. Congratulations on making it to the top! The views look very rewarding!

Thank you! Going down is probably just as tough for us, my wife and I both have knee issues from previous sports and that was a steep incline/decline, we like mellower trails lol Thank you! The view was very rewarding!

wjtstudios

Hooked

Hit the trail at 7am
View attachment 330776

View attachment 330777

View attachment 330778
View attachment 330779
View attachment 330780
View attachment 330781

View attachment 330782

Looks like a great little adventure! Your pictures are beautiful, what a great day!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Brute

Hooked
You do know that if you have a Jeep you don’t have to carry stuff on your back to see cool places...

I used to love backpacking...then I herniated the L5-S1...now, 4low for the win...

WJCO

Meme King
Been too long. Luckily got out today for a Winter hike and picnic with my youngest son. Beautiful weather too, hardly any wind. This was his first time snowshoeing and he did great.

pics (3).jpg

pics (4).jpg

pics (5).jpg

pics (2).jpg

pics (1).jpg

Top Bottom