Heavy Duty Axle Differential Cover Installation Write-Up

mauijim

So I got regeared a few weeks ago and the shop said to change the oil after 500 miles. So today I did that and I couldn’t get but maybe a quart and a half of oil in the rear and it calls for 2.375 quarts. Seems like the amount I got in the rear was the same as the front. Any suggestions as to why I can’t get the right amount of oil in the rear. Front and rear are both rubicon Dana 44

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
So I got regeared a few weeks ago and the shop said to change the oil after 500 miles. So today I did that and I couldn’t get but maybe a quart and a half of oil in the rear and it calls for 2.375 quarts. Seems like the amount I got in the rear was the same as the front. Any suggestions as to why I can’t get the right amount of oil in the rear. Front and rear are both rubicon Dana 44

You may be alright. If fluid dropped out of fill plug, you're good. There area lot of cavities within the locker, etc. Also, if you weren't on even ground, some of the oil may have been running into one of the axle tubes on the rear. Check it in a day or two and see if it changed. Also, if you were parked on an incline, the fluid level won't be accurate.

mauijim

You may be alright. If fluid dropped out of fill plug, you're good. There area lot of cavities within the locker, etc. Also, if you weren't on even ground, some of the oil may have been running into one of the axle tubes on the rear. Check it in a day or two and see if it changed. Also, if you were parked on an incline, the fluid level won't be accurate.

Ya I was just slightly uphill and it started coming out of the fill hole. Ok great I’ll check it in a few days, and thanks.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

mauijim

What WJCO said. I couldn’t get quite the full amount in, when I had the factory cover. Drive it a little, and check the fluid levels.

I do have Poison Spyder diff covers, not sure if it should take a little more oil than a stock one. And didn’t seem like that much oil came out either. But thanks and I’ll be checking it after work tomorrow and then again in a couple days after that.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked

I've done two fluid changes now on my Rubi 44 with stock cover and both times I could get barely a quart and a half in. I was level, drove it around, and rechecked it. Still spilled out of the fill hole so I don't think I could get anymore in. Called it good and it's been fine. I felt the same way after my first one. I was worried and made a big mess trying to get as much oil in as I could...haha

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
I was walking by the jeep today and noticed the rear diff was wet and a small spot on my concrete.... I'm guessing the cover got deformed a little from hitting some rocks... I have about 12k on my 2017 JKUR.... And I know I don't need to change the oil until 15k.... but it might be a good idea to get stronger covers installed before I regret it.

1. I'd like to use Dynatrac Covers.... any cons to this?

2. Which is the best Gear Oil to use.... Standard Non-synthetic 75W90 Per Eddies instructions? Any Particular Brand you guys Prefer?

Thanks

leak.jpg

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was walking by the jeep today and noticed the rear diff was wet and a small spot on my concrete.... I'm guessing the cover got deformed a little from hitting some rocks... I have about 12k on my 2017 JKUR.... And I know I don't need to change the oil until 15k.... but it might be a good idea to get stronger covers installed before I regret it.

2. Which is the best Gear Oil to use.... Standard Non-synthetic 75W90 Per Eddies instructions? Any Particular Brand you guys Prefer?

Thanks

1. No cons. Great cover and what I prefer to use if only because it's made by Dynatrac.
2. Any brand will work just fine. So long as you're still running factory lockers, synth is fine but if you're running ARB's, you really want to use dino.

TrailHunter

Hooked
1. No cons. Great cover and what I prefer to use if only because it's made by Dynatrac.
2. Any brand will work just fine. So long as you're still running factory lockers, synth is fine but if you're running ARB's, you really want to use dino.

I'm Still running factory Lockers.... Going to pick up some Permatex Right Stuff and the Gear Oil.... do you have the Covers on your Amazon Link? I didn't see them....

WJCO

Meme King
I'm Still running factory Lockers.... Going to pick up some Permatex Right Stuff and the Gear Oil.... do you have the Covers on your Amazon Link? I didn't see them....

O'Reilleys or Walmart has gear oil cheap. I try not to cheap out too much with Jeep parts, but gear oil is gear oil. Even the cheap shit has to meet sae standards and it gets the job done.

TrailHunter

Hooked
O'Reilleys or Walmart has gear oil cheap. I try not to cheap out too much with Jeep parts, but gear oil is gear oil. Even the cheap shit has to meet sae standards and it gets the job done.

I actually have some Valvoline 80W90 that I used in my Ford 9" on my truck.... is that ok, or better to stick with 75W90?

jdofmemi

I will vouch for the Dynatrac cover as well. I have drug the crap out of mine, and you can't even tell.
Whatever it is made of, it is tough. Can't even see any scratches in mine, and it has been up against more rocks than you can count.

The bolts are well protected too, so there is no trouble when it's time to take it off.

BaddestCross

Thanks

View attachment 310329
The one thing I don't like about Dynatrac covers is the lack of a drain plug.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Top Bottom