Detailing your jeep

jonathanbottoms

For those of you that have taken a D.A. polisher to your JK.

Did you find the clear coat tough? I have swirls for days and some serious pinstripes. It's in desperate need of a proper 3 or 4 stage polish job.
Ugh. Daunting just thinking about how many hours it's going to take to do the entire Heep.
I used a Griot's Garage random orbital polisher with V36 from Chemical Guys with their orange Hex Logic pad. Follow that with the V38 finishing polish and the black Hex Logic pad. Jet Seal sealant after that, and finish with Butter Wet Wax. I had a little bit of swirling & it made my paint look better than new when I was done. Took several hours though... If you have more severe swirls, I'd look into Chemical Guys V32 and V34

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Copy that! Thanks guys.

I have a feeling I need to start with V32 and a yellow pad. I'm going to try V34 and an orange I just don't think it will cut through the mess I have.

I just did the hood on my work truck. (Didn't want to practice on my personal vehicle) lol
And the hood alone took a couple hours to do it right. Came out amazing though. I'm thinking the jeep is going to be a two day job.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Copy that! Thanks guys.

I have a feeling I need to start with V32 and a yellow pad. I'm going to try V34 and an orange I just don't think it will cut through the mess I have.

I just did the hood on my work truck. (Didn't want to practice on my personal vehicle) lol
And the hood alone took a couple hours to do it right. Came out amazing though. I'm thinking the jeep is going to be a two day job.

Do a small section with v34 and an orange pad. If it doesn't work then try v32. Better to go from lighter to harder. Hell even using a red pad and 34 might be better.

Chemical guys has a good video on how to choose the right polish and pad set up. They talk about doing it in small areas to find the right combo

jonathanbottoms

Do a small section with v34 and an orange pad. If it doesn't work then try v32. Better to go from lighter to harder. Hell even using a red pad and 34 might be better.

Chemical guys has a good video on how to choose the right polish and pad set up. They talk about doing it in small areas to find the right combo
Spot on 👆 I was all over their YouTube channel before I gave it a shot. Super informative.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
I’m always trying easier & faster cleaning techniques... so over the last few months I’ve narrowed my detailing down to 2 products... and I’ve stopped using a bucket of soap & water. (Nothing revolutionary here)

IMG_2627.jpg

On the interior, the Chemical Guys has a great scent and it will clean the whole interior... glass, seats & everything.

The Rain-X waterless is great... but I’ve found that with some water it works a lot better. Without water it tends to leave a residue thats hard to buff out (on black paint)

If the Jeep is really dirty or after a run, I hose it down really good first to remove all dirt, sand, mud etc.. then I hit it with the leaf blower real quick.. With water still on the Jeep I spray a little Rain-X on a section at a time and wipe it with a small rag... Then buff it dry with a towel.. Glass, paint, trim, wheels, everything. The best part is It leaves a just waxed feel.... and I see no need for additional waxing.

For in-between full washes I just dampen the rag with water (not the jeep) and do the same thing.

WJCO

Meme King
Nice bump. I've been learning a ton of new stuff since we got the truck. Chemical Guys makes some cool products that work well.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I’m always trying easier & faster cleaning techniques... so over the last few months I’ve narrowed my detailing down to 2 products... and I’ve stopped using a bucket of soap & water. (Nothing revolutionary here)

View attachment 339922

On the interior, the Chemical Guys has a great scent and it will clean the whole interior... glass, seats & everything.

The Rain-X waterless is great... but I’ve found that with some water it works a lot better. Without water it tends to leave a residue thats hard to buff out (on black paint)

If the Jeep is really dirty or after a run, I hose it down really good first to remove all dirt, sand, mud etc.. then I hit it with the leaf blower real quick.. With water still on the Jeep I spray a little Rain-X on a section at a time and wipe it with a small rag... Then buff it dry with a towel.. Glass, paint, trim, wheels, everything. The best part is It leaves a just waxed feel.... and I see no need for additional waxing.

For in-between full washes I just dampen the rag with water (not the jeep) and do the same thing.

I use the same Rain-X product and I know what you mean about the residue streaks on black. To prevent that I use a soft hand towel and spray the product on the towel instead of the Jeep. It seems to help letting the product absorb into the towel. I agree that the Rain-X does a great job keeping that just waxed look and it’s cheap.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I use the same Rain-X product and I know what you mean about the residue streaks on black. To prevent that I use a soft hand towel and spray the product on the towel instead of the Jeep. It seems to help letting the product absorb into the towel. I agree that the Rain-X does a great job keeping that just waxed look and it’s cheap.

Get the rag damp with water.. it’s night & day easier.

This is one of my favorite threads! [emoji41]

Haha

Ironic timing for a thread bump. Just did a full exterior detail today. Including door jams, engine compartment, etc. So satisfying.

Looks good! You still have that “factory” clean. Until you wheel it for a while.. then you have that “Ah fuck it” clean.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug

View attachment 339922

Well post some photos of the Jeep cleaned this way :)

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Meant to claybar and wax my jeep before winter but it got cold too quick and the warm weather has been finicky.

For exterior i have a fairly low psi pressure washer that can dispense soap (chemical guy is the best imo). I use a double bucket method and a foam brush to scrub. Hit tar and bug spots, forget the brand of stuff i got for that right now.

For interior. I'll use an air compressor with a spray nozzle, dry tooth brush, and dry towel. Hit all the surfaces with air and the towel. Crevices get air and tooth brush. That air wash is crucial. Get a bowl of warm water and a towel to wipe down all the surfaces. Squeeze most of the water out, just want it damp. Finally i hit it with maguires detailing solution and a towel. Plastic glows!

Then I'll vacuum the seats and carpet. Hit carpeted areas with a dog hair bar/brush. Vacuum that mess up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom