2014 jkrux radiator coolant leak

Andy5160

Hooked
So got the news, leaking radiator in need of replacement. I negotiated a 100k mile bumper to bumper in my deal and had to pay my $100 deductible. He said it would have been an $800 repair without which I laughed at.

I was contemplating whether to trade it in and upgrade to a 17, thinking some of these earlier issues would have been figured out. He said nothing has really changed. So we left with the jeep and a new radiator. My cooling system is now all new (overheated last month) and only thing not new is the water pump.

Sweet warranty deal!

scull20

I'm fairly confident I've got the same gig...slow leak, no drips, but I can smell it. 2014 JKUR, 50k miles.

shortyokc

My 2014 had less than 20,000 miles when I had mine replaced. It was leaking drivers side on the plastic tank crimp. I could always smell it and left a few drips in the garage overnight. I had it replaced and they never touched my winch or charged more. I was really close to just installing a mishimoto aluminum radiator but maybe next time when it's out of warranty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Breer

Caught the Bug
My 2015 JKU had a leak on drivers side at 23k.. So maybe not just a 2014 thing. Warranty replaced mine as well.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Hmmm since I've got a 2014 I guess I need to take a closer look at mine. Does anyone know if there is a TSB out for it?

MacRubi2

Thought I would give a little update 👋

I seem to have the coolant smell once again 😳 no drips just like the first time but the coolant smell.
I will take a good look at it again this weekend to see if I have another leaking radiator.

Man I hope that Jeep isn't putting in new ones that go south in such a short time......

WJCO

Meme King
Thought I would give a little update 👋

I seem to have the coolant smell once again 😳 no drips just like the first time but the coolant smell.
I will take a good look at it again this weekend to see if I have another leaking radiator.

Man I hope that Jeep isn't putting in new ones that go south in such a short time......

I would rent or buy a pressure tester and see if you can find the leak. It's a nice tool to have anyways.

scull20

Is there any advantage to those thicker, all aluminum radiators?...as in, would it be worth biting the bullet and replacing a leaking rad with one of those as opposed to an OEM replacement?

Ddays

Hooked
Is there any advantage to those thicker, all aluminum radiators?...as in, would it be worth biting the bullet and replacing a leaking rad with one of those as opposed to an OEM replacement?

I've read some stories of guys having issues with fitment/bad bracket locations on the Mishimoto's. Can't comment on the C&R. I'm on the fence on these rad upgrades though. Honestly, I drove through Moab this past Summer in 105* plus heat loaded down big time with zero issues. Unless you do a V8 swap I think I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. I'd love to hear what the guys that deal with that heat all summer long out West think.

CastleRockJeep

Thought I would give a little update [emoji112]

I seem to have the coolant smell once again [emoji15] no drips just like the first time but the coolant smell.

They just replaced my upper radiator hose this past weekend. This evening driving around town, no greater than 45ish, I am still seeing temps of 224 degrees. Seems high when it's 32 degrees outside. What's the "normal" for these engines that people actually see. I worry about longevity of the motor, head gasket, at the very least

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MacRubi2

They just replaced my upper radiator hose this past weekend. This evening driving around town, no greater than 45ish, I am still seeing temps of 224 degrees. Seems high when it's 32 degrees outside. What's the "normal" for these engines that people actually see. I worry about longevity of the motor, head gasket, at the very least

Sounds a bit high for the outside temp but I'm not sure what temperature t-stats they run in the 3.6 Pentastar engines. But just for comparison sake my wife's 300C with the Hemi runs a 202* stat.

HeadShrinkerMD

The thermostat on my 2014 died at 29k miles, was getting up to 232F with mild driving. Still have coolant smell though so I need to take a close look at my rad to see if I also have this leak.

SDG

Caught the Bug
My 2015 JKU had a leak on drivers side at 23k.. So maybe not just a 2014 thing. Warranty replaced mine as well.
Mine was at a hose clap IIRC. It was a slow weep. It leaked enough that i hears the running water sound when I started the jeep. I believe it was at the bottom rad hose. I was going to fix it myself but was under warranty. I went through 2 jugs of the factory coolant in 6 months, somewhere around 18 months.
I would rent or buy a pressure tester and see if you can find the leak. It's a nice tool to have anyways.

Sent from my SM-G900P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom