2014 jkrux radiator coolant leak

Andy5160

Hooked
So last week i have noticed coolant leak on the driver side radiator corner.It was dripping into the skid plate. I looked around the radiator and nearest hoses,parts, an expansion tank and could not find the source.Thank's to the extended warranty i took the jeep to the dealer yesterday it only has 37k miles on it. My service rep called me after a few hours saying that the radiator is leaking after they pressurized the system and that they are replacing it under warranty.However he will have to charge me an hour labor to remove and then reinstall the winch.
My question is two years in at 37k miles and the radiator has to go. No damages on the trails to the front end or anything like that.
Just wanted to throw it out there and hear some opinions on the issue.
Thank you all

ATTACH=CONFIG]229282[/ATTACH] IMG_6746.jpg IMG_6747.jpg IMG_6746.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
So last week i have noticed coolant leak on the driver side radiator corner.It was dripping into the skid plate. I looked around the radiator and nearest hoses,parts, an expansion tank and could not find the source.Thank's to the extended warranty i took the jeep to the dealer yesterday it only has 37k miles on it. My service rep called me after a few hours saying that the radiator is leaking after they pressurized the system and that they are replacing it under warranty.However he will have to charge me an hour labor to remove and then reinstall the winch.
My question is two years in at 37k miles and the radiator has to go. No damages on the trails to the front end or anything like that.
Just wanted to throw it out there and hear some opinions on the issue.
Thank you all

ATTACH=CONFIG]229282[/ATTACH] View attachment 229283 View attachment 229282 View attachment 229283

Well that's shitty Andy. At least its under warranty. I've had to change a rad once like this. WJCO could probably shed some light on replacement issues - that's his gig.
And charging an hour labor for the winch removal/install? That's kinda Mickey Mouse IMHO

WJCO

Meme King
Seems a little low on mileage for that kind of failure, but some parts fail more prematurely than others. Truthfully, if the winch is in the way, I can see a tech charging more for it. Especially when they deal with stock vehicles all day long, they're probably not use to which bolts are where and which tools are needed, etc when they aren't used to working on those aftermarket parts on a regular basis. Your contract unlikely covers the removal of aftermarket parts even if a covered part has failed. You could always take it off yourself, but that's a hassle picking up the Jeep and bringing it back, etc.

Andy5160

Hooked
Well that's shitty Andy. At least its under warranty. I've had to change a rad once like this. WJCO could probably shed some light on replacement issues - that's his gig.
And charging an hour labor for the winch removal/install? That's kinda Mickey Mouse IMHO

Jerry,

Thank you for the input as usual!

Andy5160

Hooked
Seems a little low on mileage for that kind of failure, but some parts fail more prematurely than others. Truthfully, if the winch is in the way, I can see a tech charging more for it. Especially when they deal with stock vehicles all day long, they're probably not use to which bolts are where and which tools are needed, etc when they aren't used to working on those aftermarket parts on a regular basis. Your contract unlikely covers the removal of aftermarket parts even if a covered part has failed. You could always take it off yourself, but that's a hassle picking up the Jeep and bringing it back, etc.

Thank you for your comment. There was no point to argue with them over one hour labor. I simply figured if i remove the winch myself i will have to pick up the jeep get it done over the weekend then to wait another week until next available appointment then pick up the jeep again and then wait for another weekend to reinstall it so i was an easy decision. It just sucks two weeks ago battery was gone now this.Dealer also told me i need new breaks and rotors close to $500 each side. I politely declined:brows::brows::brows::brows::brows:!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Judesign

Caught the Bug
I'd save the hundred or so bucks and take the winch off myself. You'll probably have to check everything anyway to make sure they reinstalled it correctly.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
As far as the brakes and rotors, if you really need them, there are plenty of great write ups here that Eddie has done and some really helpful vids online showing you how to do it. It's really an easy job and way way way less expensive.

Andy5160

Hooked
As far as the brakes and rotors, if you really need them, there are plenty of great write ups here that Eddie has done and some really helpful vids online showing you how to do it. It's really an easy job and way way way less expensive.

Thank you with my work schedule it is unreasonable to remove the winch myself otherwise it will take a few weeks.

In regards to the breaks i am capable to do the job myself and if i were to spend that money i would upgrade to ProGrip.

mastrcruse

Mine started to overheat Tuesday. 2014 JKU....36k miles....leaking radiator which is under warranty. Hopefully not a trend.

MacRubi2

Me and a buddy both have 2014s and both of us had or leaking rads replaced. Me with under 30k miles and his was around 35K miles.....both under warranty.

Dealer did not charge me extra for having a winch on it. Seems the 2014s had some bad rads.

Last edited:

SDG

Caught the Bug
I had a coolant leak as well, wasnt the radiator, but dont remember where exactly it was. 2014 as well replaced parts under warranty.

Sent from my SM-G900P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Andy5160

Hooked
Well it seems 2014 might be the issue who knows it is been 48 hours no overheating. I smell coolant but it seems they did not wash everything off when they flushed the system.

MacRubi2

Well it seems 2014 might be the issue who knows it is been 48 hours no overheating. I smell coolant but it seems they did not wash everything off when they flushed the system.

Mine was the same way never any drips or over heating just the coolant smell every time I turned the jeep off.

I finally said to myself.... self you need to find the source of the smell before my warranty runs out so what I did to find it was to remove the plastic piece that covers the top of the radiator and low and behold there was a very small leak on the drivers side about four rows from the top. It was just enough seepage to create some yellow/orange crust and smell.

Took it to the dealer with the cover off so I could show them were it was leaking and the next day I had a new one installed.

Might want to do the same to see the upper part of the fins... good luck in finding your leak 🤘

JK_BUB

My 2014 radiator leaked at about 30k miles as well. Dealership replaced it under warranty and didn't charge for winch removal. Mine would only drip 1 drip per day, so I barely noticed it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Andy5160

Hooked
Mine was the same way never any drips or over heating just the coolant smell every time I turned the jeep off.

I finally said to myself.... self you need to find the source of the smell before my warranty runs out so what I did to find it was to remove the plastic piece that covers the top of the radiator and low and behold there was a very small leak on the drivers side about four rows from the top. It was just enough seepage to create some yellow/orange crust and smell.

Took it to the dealer with the cover off so I could show them were it was leaking and the next day I had a new one installed.

Might want to do the same to see the upper part of the fins... good luck in finding your leak 🤘

Thank's for the advise. The job is done i have new radiator installed and the smell is gone. However i do not see any signs of the winch removal there is some rust on the bolts and no sign of the socket ever touching them so i may have been taken for a ride!!!!!!!!!

WJCO

Meme King
Thank's for the advise. The job is done i have new radiator installed and the smell is gone. However i do not see any signs of the winch removal there is some rust on the bolts and no sign of the socket ever touching them so i may have been taken for a ride!!!!!!!!!

Look at the round parts of the fasteners for witness marks on the parts where it's been moved. There will be a witness mark circle. If not, you could always bring it up to the service manager.

MacRubi2

Cool 👍

Yeah don't think the dealer removed my winch also just worked around it

mastrcruse

Mine started to overheat Tuesday. 2014 JKU....36k miles....leaking radiator which is under warranty. Hopefully not a trend.

So got the news, leaking radiator in need of replacement. I negotiated a 100k mile bumper to bumper in my deal and had to pay my $100 deductible. He said it would have been an $800 repair without which I laughed at.

I was contemplating whether to trade it in and upgrade to a 17, thinking some of these earlier issues would have been figured out. He said nothing has really changed. So we left with the jeep and a new radiator. My cooling system is now all new (overheated last month) and only thing not new is the water pump.

Top Bottom