Wrangler 4xe Thoughts

jfdatlaw

LOL - no, I get that but I mean, how is it free to you? Or, why is it free to you? The electricity has to be produced by something and by someone. Who pays for the production of it and the infrastructure to allow you to take it for free?
Ah, our town installed the station and the first 3 hours is free. So, with a full charge in less than 3 hours, that's all I need. After 3 hours it's $20 an hour.

As to the broader political discussion of the rationale for government supported installations of power stations and tax incentives for purchase to encourage electric vehicles or all the other stuff they do all over the world that can be debated (if that's what you meant), I'm leaving that out. Separate discussion.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, our town installed the station and the first 3 hours is free. So, with a full charge in less than 3 hours, that's all I need. After 3 hours it's $20 an hour.

As to the broader political discussion of the rationale for government supported installations of power stations and tax incentives for purchase to encourage electric vehicles or all the other stuff they do all over the world that can be debated (if that's what you meant), I'm leaving that out. Separate discussion.
LOL - no, politics was NOT what I was asking about. I just wanted to know how it was free to you. If your town installed the chargers, I can only assume that means they're using sales tax dollars to make that possible.

jfdatlaw

LOL - no, politics was NOT what I was asking about. I just wanted to know how it was free to you. If your town installed the chargers, I can only assume that means they're using sales tax dollars to make that possible.
Very well could have. My assumption is that it was some kind of federal grant that allowed it. We are a small town so wouldn't have the sales tax base to support it. ChargePoint is the company that runs it. They are popping up different places and I haven't seen the terms. I assume one day it will turn into a paid thing. Then it's about $2 for the electric to run the 22 or 25 miles. At current gas prices by me, that's about 40% less than gas. The charging system is easy to use and Jeep has a nice setup for monitoring it. It's sort of entertainment to see how far I get and the power is really nice when I want that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very well could have. My assumption is that it was some kind of federal grant that allowed it. We are a small town so wouldn't have the sales tax base to support it. ChargePoint is the company that runs it. They are popping up different places and I haven't seen the terms. I assume one day it will turn into a paid thing. Then it's about $2 for the electric to run the 22 or 25 miles. At current gas prices by me, that's about 40% less than gas. The charging system is easy to use and Jeep has a nice setup for monitoring it. It's sort of entertainment to see how far I get and the power is really nice when I want that.
Sales tax or the feds, essentially, everyone pays for the chargers to exist even if they don't use them.

It just popped up one day and wasn't there the day before, so there's no cost involved.
I unplugged the cable from the car which was already charging and plugged it into mine. The trick is to plug the car back in and drive off before it's owner comes back.

Top Bottom