Wrangler 4xe Thoughts

jfdatlaw

Has anyone bought or considering a 4xe? I'm considering it and wondering what the impressions are from real Jeep people and not the reviewers who complain about things like wind noise. It has the 4 cylinder turbo underneath which would appear to be the part that is used most of the time so wondering how that is in daily driver conditions. Also wondering what people think about mods as I'm coming from a modified JK that gets trail use and would intend to use this that way as well. Eddie, adding one of these to the test fleet any time soon?

CalSgt

Hooked
I thought I saw an instagram post that EVO MFG got one, maybe it was just in the shop for upgrades... I'd like to see if it turns up at the next JLX

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a friend with one and it's pretty cool. Really zippy especially off the line. I am somewhat disappointed that it isn't faster like an electric motor should be though. I can't say that I'm super impressed with how little range you get when running full electric either and total range doesn't seem that great either. Also, all the extra weight from the batteries and the size of it under the Jeep isn't something I'm feeling. Overall, I think it's a neat idea but not enough for me to want.

jfdatlaw

I have a friend with one and it's pretty cool. Really zippy especially off the line. I am somewhat disappointed that it isn't faster like an electric motor should be though. I can't say that I'm super impressed with how little range you get when running full electric either and total range doesn't seem that great either. Also, all the extra weight from the batteries and the size of it under the Jeep isn't something I'm feeling. Overall, I think it's a neat idea but not enough for me to want.
One thing that is sort of interesting is the $7,500 tax deduction you get for the plug in hybrid. Also, the 4xe, Gladiator Rubicon and the 392 are the first Jeeps I know of that are over 6,000 GVWR which has some real tax advantages if you are self employed. Those might drive some additional sales.

I'm curious if the mods for the 4xe will be different than those for the regular JL. I could see the weight requiring some changes to suspension mods. I see that Jeep has it's own 2" lift (made by ???) which I assume will still allow for 35s comfortably.

Now if I can just get past the Max Care warranty coverage that I'd be losing on my 2008. That has basically rebuilt my Jeep over the years for $100 a visit to the dealer. Chrysler learned it's lesson and got rid of that and having a 4xe without that protection makes me a little nervous.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
One thing that is sort of interesting is the $7,500 tax deduction you get for the plug in hybrid. Also, this and the 392 are the first Jeeps I know of that are over 6,000 GVWR which has some real tax advantages if you are self employed. Those might drive some additional sales.

I'm curious if the mods for the 4xe will be different than those for the regular JL. I could see the weight requiring some changes to suspension mods. I see that Jeep has it's own 2" lift (made by ???) which I assume will still allow for 35s comfortably.

Now if I can just get past the Max Care warranty coverage that I'd be losing on my 2008. That has basically rebuilt my Jeep over the years for $100 a visit to the dealer. Chrysler learned it's lesson and got rid of that and having a 4xe without that protection makes me a little nervous.
It's a good thing that they provide that tax deduction. I asked my friend how much it cost to charge up and was shocked at what he was telling me some places charge. But the 6k GVWR deal is an interesting one to consider for sure.

Mopar makes their own lifts and have been for a while now.

jfdatlaw

It's a good thing that they provide that tax deduction. I asked my friend how much it cost to charge up and was shocked at what he was telling me some places charge. But the 6k GVWR deal is an interesting one to consider for sure.

Mopar makes their own lifts and have been for a while now.
Looks like I'm going to be placing an order. I'll hope to find some info on the forums with people buying mods that fit well. I'm going to keep it under warranty for obvious reasons so can't get too crazy but want a little lift and 35s for sure. Considering the factory steel bumpers but not sure how they compare to aftermarket.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like I'm going to be placing an order. I'll hope to find some info on the forums with people buying mods that fit well. I'm going to keep it under warranty for obvious reasons so can't get too crazy but want a little lift and 35s for sure. Considering the factory steel bumpers but not sure how they compare to aftermarket.
One of the guys at EVO has a 4Xe and they're designing parts for it now. Best of luck to you.

A 450 mile range seems more useful in my experience, in order to get in a decent days drive. The real problem is to find a charger where you are going. If every hotel and office building had a charger, then full electric would be ok.

Still encountering towns without a working gas station, much less electric.

The 4Xe is good for driving to work every day but does not add much extra efficiency for long drives.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
I think the 4xe is pretty interesting but think they have a long way to go for myself to have any interest in it. Plus like stated the charging station issue and what will happen once lifted... one issue I will see especially getting back from my trip on the 395 in CA is that there is not any charging stations in the areas where I would want to take the Jeep. At least that I have seen... even with a hybrid they should work on a self charging battery system like Honda.

The 4Xe does not require charging because it is a hybrid so it will charge it's batteries while using the gas engine. The main reason to want it is if you make short trips every day and are able to return to your level 2 charger so that you mostly use electricity and save money (and/or the planet).

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The 4Xe does not require charging because it is a hybrid so it will charge it's batteries while using the gas engine. The main reason to want it is if you make short trips every day and are able to return to your level 2 charger so that you mostly use electricity and save money (and/or the planet).
My old house the electric bill was $400+ in the summer. Can’t imagine was it would have been if I had an electric gayL in the garage.

Check out Brandon Haneline's channel (used to be Jeep Informant) on YouTube for info on the 4Xe. He has some interesting technical videos where he tests things that no one else does. Does not seem like a Wayoflife type product (lots of technology to fail and more difficult to modify) but it is where things have been going.

Top Bottom