Wrangler 4xe Thoughts

Check out Brandon Haneline's channel (used to be Jeep Informant) on YouTube for info on the 4Xe. He has some interesting technical videos where he tests things that no one else does. Does not seem like a Wayoflife type product (lots of technology to fail and more difficult to modify) but it is where things have been going.
I somehow knew this thread was going to go to shit... May I recommend the Ford Bronco to you rather than the Jeep Wrangler???

Robar

The Enforcer
Just some food for thought. The 4Xe only has a 22 mile range using just its battery and only has a 370 mile range, total. A Sport 2-door with a 3.6L and manual transmission has a total range of 437.5 miles.
Careful. Don't get to technical. You don't want to compete with Brandon Haneline's info cuz bobfriesenhahn says he knows his technical shit.

^ Seriously? Out of curiosity, do you walk into Burger King and direct the people in there to go to McDonald’s?
Did someone fail to see that I am only classified as "New Member" in this forum? Mercy please!

I only made the reference due to most other currently available sources regarding the 4Xe being rah-rah marketing garbage. I did not refer you to a yoga pants channel.

If someone here is willing to sink money into a 4Xe and share their experience here, that would be great, but the 4Xe is not something that most here would want.

Did someone fail to see that I am only classified as "New Member" in this forum? Mercy please!

I only made the reference due to most other currently available sources regarding the 4Xe being rah-rah marketing garbage. I did not refer you to a yoga pants channel.

If someone here is willing to sink money into a 4Xe and share their experience here, that would be great, but the 4Xe is not something that most here would want.
Did someone fail to see the forum terms and rules as they signed up?

Glad I'm not on facebook. https://www.wayalife.com/help/rules/

View attachment 363383
I particularly like this part...
Thanks for the link to the rules so I could re-read them. I am glad that I did not violate them. 😄

The most important rule is surely to recognize that this is Eddie's forum and he wrote the rules.

I am not on Facebook either, or Twitter, or really any major social media platform which makes money due to me being there.

Now that this is out of the way can discussion continue as to if the 4Xe is suitable for Wayoflife members?

jfdatlaw

I've done 13+ years with the 3.8 in my JK and 10 mpg with 35s. With the current incentives of $7,500, I'll give the 4xe a try and worst case is double the fuel economy. My commute is 3 miles with a rapid charger 500 feet from my house. Seems like a good fit. Maybe the next one will be more electric but this could be fun.

jfdatlaw

I've done 13+ years with the 3.8 in my JK and 10 mpg with 35s. With the current incentives of $7,500, I'll give the 4xe a try and worst case is double the fuel economy. My commute is 3 miles with a rapid charger 500 feet from my house. Seems like a good fit. Maybe the next one will be more electric but this could be fun.
Well, I've been driving Jeeps (and I mean the real ones where the top comes off) for a little over 25 years and I have now taken delivery of my new 4xe. I have to say, this is a very impressive vehicle. It is a hybrid so I don't have to worry about staying close to charging stations but my commutes are short so the 20 to 25 mi range works very well for me. It's still a real Jeep Rubicon just with some added functionality. I got on the highway today and for the first time in 14 years I did not have to push the pedal to the floor and cross my fingers. That felt nice.

I can't say I'm a big environmentalist but it is kind of nice to feel like I'm saving some money by not buying gasoline. I have a free charging station not far from my house (400 feet) and I've already used that pretty much every day. The next closest free charging station is at the local Hooters so that seems like a win-win. With the size of the battery, I can charge it on 110 overnight at my house with no problem.

It can be modified and I have the factory 2-in lift already ordered but they are back ordered so I wasn't able to do it before delivery. I plan to add 35s and a winch as I've gotten used to having those. I have every expectation that it will be able to go to the Jeep events where I have taken my last Rubicon for many years. I won't be able to go crazy with it on modifications but I never really did that anyway and had plenty of fun breaking things with my last one. That one is still in the driveway until I sell it.

The only downside I can see is the price but I would say that about a regular Rubicon anyway. With the current incentives, it's not that much more to get this one and I think it's worth it for the power. I would much rather have this than the 392. I love a nice big V8 but that has been done many times. I'm sure that appeals to many people but just not to me for $75,000 minimum.

My overall opinion of the vehicle so far and I've only had it for a few days is very positive. I'm hoping I will be able to use the electric power to save some money for more Jeep parts.

Last edited:
I think it needs more refining before being worth it. As well as aftermarket support, taser and tuners can’t program tires right yet.

Last edited:

jfdatlaw

I'm now about 600 miles in and have put in 2 tanks of gas. For my last tank, just taking the total miles travelled divided by the number of gallons used, I averaged just over 30 mpg. Now, this will fluctuate greatly depending on your length of trips. The person best suited to a setup like this with a 25 mile electric range is the person with a typical daily range about that amount. As you use the gas engine (averages about 20 mpg) your average mpg will go down. It does not seem to be a good fit for people who have longer commutes. If you just want total range on a tank, that's not a good fit for the 4xe. With a free charging station right by my house, I seem to be the perfect user. However, even if I was charging at home, it appears that cost per mile is about 1/2 of that with gasoline.

Power is very good and if I ignore the fuel economy aspect, it's downright fast and especially for a Wrangler. My JK sitting net to it is slow as a dog and averages about 12-14 mpg. The 4xe has enough power on all electric that it's faster than my JK even without the gas engine.

I have the Mopar lift waiting for install and will have 35s and rims coming with that. Time will tell how that affects fuel economy.

WJCO

Meme King
I'm now about 600 miles in and have put in 2 tanks of gas. For my last tank, just taking the total miles travelled divided by the number of gallons used, I averaged just over 30 mpg. Now, this will fluctuate greatly depending on your length of trips. The person best suited to a setup like this with a 25 mile electric range is the person with a typical daily range about that amount. As you use the gas engine (averages about 20 mpg) your average mpg will go down. It does not seem to be a good fit for people who have longer commutes. If you just want total range on a tank, that's not a good fit for the 4xe. With a free charging station right by my house, I seem to be the perfect user. However, even if I was charging at home, it appears that cost per mile is about 1/2 of that with gasoline.

Power is very good and if I ignore the fuel economy aspect, it's downright fast and especially for a Wrangler. My JK sitting net to it is slow as a dog and averages about 12-14 mpg. The 4xe has enough power on all electric that it's faster than my JK even without the gas engine.

I have the Mopar lift waiting for install and will have 35s and rims coming with that. Time will tell how that affects fuel economy.
In 600 miles, about how many times have you had to plug in in? Just curious. Also, how long to you typically leave it plugged in for to get a decent charge?

jfdatlaw

In 600 miles, about how many times have you had to plug in in? Just curious. Also, how long to you typically leave it plugged in for to get a decent charge?
The range is only just over 20 miles. I typically just plug it in every night when I get home. Some days I drive less than 20 miles and never use gas and other days when I have longer trips the gas engine just takes over as the battery runs out.

At 240 volts, the charge time is just over 2 hours. I happen to have a charging station very close and free so I use that a lot. At 120 volts, you need at least 12 hours for a full charge. I have read that the first half of a charge is faster than the last half but I've never really worried about that because having 10 miles of range really isn't that beneficial. The only time I use the 120 volt charger is at home overnight.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The range is only just over 20 miles. I typically just plug it in every night when I get home. Some days I drive less than 20 miles and never use gas and other days when I have longer trips the gas engine just takes over as the battery runs out.

At 240 volts, the charge time is just over 2 hours. I happen to have a charging station very close and free so I use that a lot. At 120 volts, you need at least 12 hours for a full charge. I have read that the first half of a charge is faster than the last half but I've never really worried about that because having 10 miles of range really isn't that beneficial. The only time I use the 120 volt charger is at home overnight.
As of 20 miles is so much more beneficial than 10 miles.

jfdatlaw

Just out of curiosity, how is it that it's free?
Free to me I guess. I'm lucky to live 400 feet from a level 2 charger. I use that most of the time and charge overnight at home at 120 the rest of the time.

Attachments

• 20210624_161619_HDR.jpg
    20210624_161619_HDR.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 8

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Free to me I guess. I'm lucky to live 400 feet from a level 2 charger. I use that most of the time and charge overnight at home at 120 the rest of the time.
LOL - no, I get that but I mean, how is it free to you? Or, why is it free to you? The electricity has to be produced by something and by someone. Who pays for the production of it and the infrastructure to allow you to take it for free?

Top Bottom