Wines of the Week

Recently received a couple library wines. This 2006 Syrah came with a Gold rating upon its release in 2008 and the tasting notes looked great. It's been stored properly at the vineyard. Needless to say, it is delicious!!

Nice first post! :thumb:

Ok, since you two know your wines, give me some suggestions. Never really have drank it much but would like to have something handy other than beer. Trying to adopt the love slowly.

JAGS

Hooked
Ok, since you two know your wines, give me some suggestions. Never really have drank it much but would like to have something handy other than beer. Trying to adopt the love slowly.

We might provide different answers to this. It's taken some time to like the wines I do now. But I started by simply buying a bottle here or there. Generally it is best to start with mild white wines and something not heavily aged in oak. While tasty, even now, too much oak can overpower a good flavor. Super light would be like a Pinot Grigio. Maybe try a light, crisp chardonnay. The thing with wine is everyone tastes it a little different, even the same bottle. There are good inexpensive bottles out there too.....but generally you want to stay away from the super bargain basement wines....$2 chucks.

Not sure what they have in KY, but maybe fined a local wine shop/large liquor mart ala BevMo/Total Wine and they usually have wine experts to help make a selection. Trader joes and world market also have good selection. It may not be an option, but I learn a lot about wines by going wine tasting, tasting a wide variety and talking with the staff and wine makers about the differences between them all.

We might provide different answers to this. It's taken some time to like the wines I do now. But I started by simply buying a bottle here or there. Generally it is best to start with mild white wines and something not heavily aged in oak. While tasty, even now, too much oak can overpower a good flavor. Super light would be like a Pinot Grigio. Maybe try a light, crisp chardonnay. The thing with wine is everyone tastes it a little different, even the same bottle. There are good inexpensive bottles out there too.....but generally you want to stay away from the super bargain basement wines....$2 chucks.

Not sure what they have in KY, but maybe fined a local wine shop/large liquor mart ala BevMo/Total Wine and they usually have wine experts to help make a selection. Trader joes and world market also have good selection. It may not be an option, but I learn a lot about wines by going wine tasting, tasting a wide variety and talking with the staff and wine makers about the differences between them all.

Thanks for all of the pointers and suggestions. My wife drinks wine but its not usually anything too fancy, brand wise. Ive always been the beer guy but, as a spry 32yo, i feel like i need to broaden my horizons. Oddly enough being in Ky, i hate bourbon. Too much cheap shit when i was young. I think wine has a cool vibe about it so im gonna cruise that avenue.

JAGS

Hooked
A Bodini Malbec at the airport bar. More grape juiceish, but drinkable. Also helps when it's part of a reimbursed company "meal."
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1443574252.612271.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
Wines of the day??? This isn't some overpriced bar wine though. Needed something with a punch that didn't taste like punch. A 94 pt gold winning 2006 library reserve meritage. Cab, Malbec, petite Verdot, cab franc and Merlot blend. Super smooth and rich. Great body and tannins. Did I mention it was 15% alcohol...doesn't taste like it though. [emoji106][emoji485][emoji485]

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1443669006.980698.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
Enjoying the online entertainment tonight while drinking a crisp Vermentino.

Damn, the French know what they were doing with their grapes.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444192821.611596.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
You can always forward them to my address Jags...

Ha ha. Will keep that in mind. [emoji6]

Here's what was uncorked tonight. A member wine, and a cab at that. [emoji33] it's actually pretty tasty. Not too dry/oaky. [emoji106][emoji485]

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444360017.047546.jpg

Top Bottom