Which/Best Gear Brand Thread

Exodus 4x4

For all I know, he fucked up the first setup. Either way, he did it the second time for free.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

My money would be on this. Gear work is an art, and it doesn’t take much to fuck it up. Then again I’ve seen some sloppy shit go a long way. If he wasn’t careful when pressing on the Koyos (or any bearing for that matter) he could’ve easily deformed the cage and not noticed, causing premature failure.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
My money would be on this. Gear work is an art, and it doesn’t take much to fuck it up. Then again I’ve seen some sloppy shit go a long way. If he wasn’t careful when pressing on the Koyos (or any bearing for that matter) he could’ve easily deformed the cage and not noticed, causing premature failure.

Too much preload. Not enough preload. Too little gear oil. Lots of possibilities for failure.

People ask about this brand of gears or that, or $1100 vs. $1300, when they should be asking how many differentials the tech has set up, how long has the shop been in business, and how do they stand behind their work.

BaddestCross

Too much preload. Not enough preload. Too little gear oil. Lots of possibilities for failure.

People ask about this brand of gears or that, or $1100 vs. $1300, when they should be asking how many differentials the tech has set up, how long has the shop been in business, and how do they stand behind their work.

This for sure. 👍

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Exodus 4x4

Yep. I offer customers lifetime warranty as long as they bring them back to me for service every 10k. It’s stupid how cutthroat this particular service has gotten around me. One shop close to me is offering $1250, in that morning and out by lunch. Even if two guys are working on it, that’s still sketchy. This is something that shouldn’t be rushed. I usually take my time and spend a full day on it. I also have a touch of OCD and will check everything 3-4 times more than normal.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Yep. I offer customers lifetime warranty as long as they bring them back to me for service every 10k. It’s stupid how cutthroat this particular service has gotten around me. One shop close to me is offering $1250, in that morning and out by lunch. Even if two guys are working on it, that’s still sketchy. This is something that shouldn’t be rushed. I usually take my time and spend a full day on it. I also have a touch of OCD and will check everything 3-4 times more than normal.

Sounds like me, except it was two days each end. Plus I don’t do it for a living.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have had great experience with my revolution gear and axle set. After breaking a ring and pinion and multiple pinion bearings from the Yukon set I had I went with a revolution who heat treats the metal gears and covers them with a lifetime warranty.

RyanHanley

Advice on new gears

I’m looking into upgrading to 4.88 gears on my Jeep JKU it’s a 2012 rubicon with Dana 44 axles and I’m trying to figure out what brand of gears should I be looking at I am running stock 4.10 right now on 37s and it does fine but last weekend I was heading up to Glenwood Springs Colorado and it just kept trying to search for a gear to be in so I figured it was time to finally look into upgrading my gear ratio any advice will help. Thank you In advance

Last edited:

Andy5160

Hooked
I’m looking into upgrading to 4.88 gears on my Jeep JKU it’s a 2012 rubicon with Dana 44 axels and I’m trying to figure out what brand of gears should I be looking at I am running stock 4.10 right now on 37s and it does fine but last weekend I was heading up to Glenwood Springs Colorado and it just kept trying to search for a gear to be in so I figured it was time to finally look into upgrading my gear ratio any advice will help. Thank you In advance

I would get Revolution. Great company.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

nbunga

Caught the Bug
I went with Revolution, no problems so far after about 5000 miles. I think a lot of the gears out there by the name brands are all the same just re branded.

You may want to think about going with 5:13s with the 37s, 4:10 to 4:88 isn’t much of a jump.

RyanHanley

The only reason why I was thinking 4.88 was because I was doing research trying to understand which gear would be a good choice for me and I found a chart of gears and tire size but if you guys have 37 what gears are you running IMG_1551.JPG

Coop

Caught the Bug
I’m running 4.88s with 37s and have never really had a problem. Using Yukon and these have been really good. Dynatrac recommended these for my setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nbunga

Caught the Bug
The only reason why I was thinking 4.88 was because I was doing research trying to understand which gear would be a good choice for me and I found a chart of gears and tire size but if you guys have 37 what gears are you running View attachment 318460

I wasn’t thinking about you having the 3.6 and automatic. You will probably be ok then.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’m running 4:88s with 37s as a daily driver. I’m happy with it, around 3k RPM at 75, but going up larger hills and mountains, it does like to jump up to third gear.

If it were more weekend/trail Jeep I would have gone 5:13.

boardsurfer

I’m looking into upgrading to 4.88 gears on my Jeep JKU it’s a 2012 rubicon with Dana 44 axles and I’m trying to figure out what brand of gears should I be looking at I am running stock 4.10 right now on 37s and it does fine but last weekend I was heading up to Glenwood Springs Colorado and it just kept trying to search for a gear to be in so I figured it was time to finally look into upgrading my gear ratio any advice will help. Thank you In advance

Brands aside, you should note that the guys saying that 4.88 are working for them are also in the low elevation flat(er) land - MI and OH.

If you live in CO I would strongly consider 5.13. It's pretty much what we're all running with 37s out here.

Last edited:

Eloucha

I’m running 4.88s with 37s and have never really had a problem. Using Yukon and these have been really good. Dynatrac recommended these for my setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Very nice setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WJCO

Meme King

Merged here. Lots of good info too.

Top Bottom