Which/Best Gear Brand Thread

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
So i'm back... Let's all play nice . I'll keep it short. I'm digging the Yukon brand, anyone had good/ bad luck with them? Also i'm thinking the full master install kit. Low miles on the Jeep but i figure with 6 hour install time might as well just get it done. Also they have an option to pay like 100 bucks more for a "No questions asked warranty" if they break. Like that option. Also so far this is the only mod planned after much reading i won't be able to wrench myself. All the more reason for full bearing replacement, etc. So many brands, please help. 3.8 2007 Rubi. 38K on Odo. 6 Speed manual. Planning for 37" tires. Seems the gears need quite the break-in before major stress so i've decided to start here. Thanks in advance for the help.

The only gears I’ve personally seen quality issues with was G2’s. I would also do the bearings as well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
So it seems 200 miles, then fresh oil, correct? Then another 2K before heavy load. Sound about right?

Opinions will vary from person to person and between manufacturers. But basically drive in short durations, ~20 mins or so and let the gears cool completely between drives. Change oil at 500 miles. Keep in mind that manufacturers and installers may require you to adhere to a certain break in process to keep your warranty from being voided.

BaddestCross

Yukon is good. Try and get the gears made in India, not China. Master install kit with Timkin parts, not the China brand.

Better yet, focus on finding a trustworthy shop and let them handle ordering the parts because if there's warranty issues, you won't have to deal with it - the shop will.

Break in time is usually 500 miles, change the oil, and you're good.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

BaddestCross

If that's the case i had NO idea. I'm sure that can't be right, with all do respect. Over seas companies look for all kinds of opportunities to cheap manufacture these products and sell them here.
He's not wrong. There's only a few factories and all gears are sourced through them. Hence my India statement above. Taiwan is better than China as well.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Yukon is good. Try and get the gears made in India, not China. Master install kit with Timkin parts, not the China brand.

Better yet, focus on finding a trustworthy shop and let them handle ordering the parts because if there's warranty issues, you won't have to deal with it - the shop will.

Break in time is usually 500 miles, change the oil, and you're good.
--

Thanks brotha. I was hoping you'd chime in. I'll keep that in mind. I was thinking a shop 45 minutes plus away from me. I'll find one closer. Also good looking on the bearing parts. I haven't read that.

Last edited:

A.J.

So i'm back... Let's all play nice ��. I'll keep it short. I'm digging the Yukon brand, anyone had good/ bad luck with them? Also i'm thinking the full master install kit. Low miles on the Jeep but i figure with 6 hour install time might as well just get it done. Also they have an option to pay like 100 bucks more for a "No questions asked warranty" if they break. Like that option. Also so far this is the only mod planned after much reading i won't be able to wrench myself. All the more reason for full bearing replacement, etc. So many brands, please help. 3.8 2007 Rubi. 38K on Odo. 6 Speed manual. Planning for 37" tires. Seems the gears need quite the break-in before major stress so i've decided to start here. Thanks in advance for the help.

Yukon is fine. Yes do all bearings aka "master install kit" make sure the bearings are marked USA. ASK your installer for their recommendation as well since they will be doing the work if there is a brand they prefer, warranty coverage and break in procedures. If they are recommending Yukon you can check out Randy's Ring and Pinion website to educate yourself on what you are getting.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
So i'm back... Let's all play nice ��. I'll keep it short. I'm digging the Yukon brand, anyone had good/ bad luck with them? Also i'm thinking the full master install kit. Low miles on the Jeep but i figure with 6 hour install time might as well just get it done. Also they have an option to pay like 100 bucks more for a "No questions asked warranty" if they break. Like that option. Also so far this is the only mod planned after much reading i won't be able to wrench myself. All the more reason for full bearing replacement, etc. So many brands, please help. 3.8 2007 Rubi. 38K on Odo. 6 Speed manual. Planning for 37" tires. Seems the gears need quite the break-in before major stress so i've decided to start here. Thanks in advance for the help.

Merged here. Lots of info.

Exodus 4x4

If that's the case i had NO idea. I'm sure that can't be right, with all do respect. Over seas companies look for all kinds of opportunities to cheap manufacture these products and sell them here.

India, Korea, Italy, China....

Gears are made all over. Install kits with Timkens? Doesn’t really matter. I just pulled some PR60’s apart that were running Koyos, the same brand that Jeeps come with from the factory. I’d stick with kits using either Timken or Koyo. Revolution carries both.

BaddestCross

India, Korea, Italy, China....

Gears are made all over. Install kits with Timkens? Doesn’t really matter. I just pulled some PR60’s apart that were running Koyos, the same brand that Jeeps come with from the factory. I’d stick with kits using either Timken or Koyo. Revolution carries both.

When I had my gears done, I was sent a set of Koyo by mistake and the guy told me he had been having problems with them even from the factory but I told the shop to install them anyway because I was up against time.

Long story short, the Koyo bearings ate themselves up during the break-in while the Timkin were fine. The guy had to redo the rear gears... This time with Timkin. 😎

--

Exodus 4x4

When I had my gears done, I was sent a set of Koyo by mistake and the guy told me he had been having problems with them even from the factory but I told the shop to install them anyway because I was up against time.

Long story short, the Koyo bearings ate themselves up during the break-in while the Timkin were fine. The guy had to redo the rear gears... This time with Timkin. [emoji41]

--

I’ve heard this before, but I’ve never personally had a bad experience with them and honestly I’d say if they were that bad, they’d probably be out of business by now. I’ve seen shit Timken bearings as well. Not saying you didn’t have a shit experience, just from my experience I’ve never seen anything bad from them.

That being said, the price difference between the two isn’t enough to sway me to Koyos over Timkens. I’d personally spring for the Timkens. Like most things I try and use American made products if it’s an option.

BaddestCross

I’ve heard this before, but I’ve never personally had a bad experience with them and honestly I’d say if they were that bad, they’d probably be out of business by now. I’ve seen shit Timken bearings as well. Not saying you didn’t have a shit experience, just from my experience I’ve never seen anything bad from them.

That being said, the price difference between the two isn’t enough to sway me to Koyos over Timkens. I’d personally spring for the Timkens. Like most things I try and use American made products if it’s an option.

Yeah, it's all anecdotal until it happens to you personally. I just thought it was ironic that my mechanic made that comment and then ended up having the problem.

I agree, if it was a consistent problem they'd be out of business. It could've just been a bad day on their line and some bad ones got out on the shelves.

Of course, I'm the kinda guy that if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all, so there's that. 😎

--

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah, it's all anecdotal until it happens to you personally. I just thought it was ironic that my mechanic made that comment and then ended up having the problem.

I agree, if it was a consistent problem they'd be out of business. It could've just been a bad day on their line and some bad ones got out on the shelves.

Of course, I'm the kinda guy that if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all, so there's that. 😎

--

Koyo has a great reputation and I myself have never had issues with them. Just to add to the scenario, is there any chance that your tech installed Timken races assuming that Timken bearings would be used, but then when he was surprised with koyo bearings, he left the Timken races in the housing without a second thought? Not sure if you would even know if that happened. But I can tell you from previous experience, that is very possible to cause a premature bearing failure. Just a thought.

robx251

Caught the Bug
I had a bad set of Yukon’s. They weren’t hardened. Front and rear sets. They didn’t go good on a warranty either. They claimed they were run dry. But there was gear oil on them when that didn’t fly they claimed set up improperly. Why take ownership of a bad set of gears when we can blame the shop? Right? Oh by the way that was after only 1/2 mile on them. IMG_20130413_171200_250.jpg IMG_20130413_170731_732.jpg IMG_20130413_170556_111.jpg IMG_20130413_170241_810.jpg IMG_20130413_170231_719.jpg IMG_20130413_170208_608.jpg IMG_20130412_125129_460.jpg

2016 JK Rubicon
35-12.5 R17 Radar Renegade R7 MT
2.5 budget boost
10k Winch/stubby bumper
Trucklites
TYT9800 / Pro510XL
KC1IMA

BaddestCross

Koyo has a great reputation and I myself have never had issues with them. Just to add to the scenario, is there any chance that your tech installed Timken races assuming that Timken bearings would be used, but then when he was surprised with koyo bearings, he left the Timken races in the housing without a second thought? Not sure if you would even know if that happened. But I can tell you from previous experience, that is very possible to cause a premature bearing failure. Just a thought.
I guess anything is possible, but since I brought the parts over, if he did that he would've had to use the Koyo races on the Timkin bearings, no?

Who knows... Shit happens even to the best manufactures. When I heard that Koyo was used by the factory I thought it odd that he said it. His statement at the time (before any work was done on mine) was that last few months he had done gears on brand new Jeeps due to faulty bearings... Bullshit? Don't know, but I do know that those bearings blew out almost immediately and the axle with the Timkin was fine.

For all I know, he fucked up the first setup. Either way, he did it the second time for free.

--

Top Bottom