What's your view like at work?

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’m so ready to build, Nick said interest on mortgages is the lowest it’s been in US history, like 2.75 for 15 year fixed

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

And Constructuon costs are the highest they’ve ever been in history. I wouldn’t build today, but I would have thought the construction industry would have leveled off a couple years ago, but it still hasn’t. The problem is, once the build is complete, they are usually more expensive than the market can support if you had to turn them around. If you GC it your self and call in a bunch of favors, that’s a different story.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
And Constructuon costs are the highest they’ve ever been in history. I wouldn’t build today, but I would have thought the construction industry would have leveled off a couple years ago, but it still hasn’t. The problem is, once the build is complete, they are usually more expensive than the market can support if you had to turn them around. If you GC it your self and call in a bunch of favors, that’s a different story.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

The market is stupid. We can’t decide if we want to build or buy. I kind of want to build but it’s so much work. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Ddays

Hooked
The market is stupid. We can’t decide if we want to build or buy. I kind of want to build but it’s so much work. Lol

We ended up building 20 years ago because everything we liked we couldn't afford and everything we could afford we didn't like. At that time building ended up being cheaper than it would have been to buy a comparable house. Plus I got a killer deal on some acreage. That's a huge hurdle - finding the lot.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked

Idk if it’s a Hawaii state thing or what, but construction loans are nuts. We built our house about 3 years ago and the 9% interest only payments during that process sucked ass... especially since it didn’t go towards the mortgage at all. The plus side is we got exactly what we wanted and it was new. Can’t complain there.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
We ended up building 20 years ago because everything we liked we couldn't afford and everything we could afford we didn't like. At that time building ended up being cheaper than it would have been to buy a comparable house. Plus I got a killer deal on some acreage. That's a huge hurdle - finding the lot.

Everything I look at has crappy house but the acreage and the good house has no acreage. We want acreage.

Idk if it’s a Hawaii state thing or what, but construction loans are nuts. We built our house about 3 years ago and the 9% interest only payments during that process sucked ass... especially since it didn’t go towards the mortgage at all. The plus side is we got exactly what we wanted and it was new. Can’t complain there.

Haven’t looked. Maybe I’ll win the lotto and not have to get a loan. Lol

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Everything I look at has crappy house but the acreage and the good house has no acreage. We want acreage.

Haven’t looked. Maybe I’ll win the lotto and not have to get a loan. Lol

How much acreage you lookin for? Could move to Hawaii. We still have some decently priced acreage here, though you’d be stuck on an island and the state is like Californias bastard child as far as stupid laws go.

Edit: we also don’t have a lotto.. so that sucks.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
How much acreage you lookin for? Could move to Hawaii. We still have some decently priced acreage here, though you’d be stuck on an island and the state is like Californias bastard child as far as stupid laws go.

Edit: we also don’t have a lotto.. so that sucks.

Better win before I come. Lol

I would like 20+. I would settle for 5 if I had to. And I can’t move full time to Hawaii. I can’t drive enough if I live there. Lol great place to visit and vacation though.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Better win before I come. Lol

I would like 20+. I would settle for 5 if I had to. And I can’t move full time to Hawaii. I can’t drive enough if I live there. Lol great place to visit and vacation though.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I friend of mine bought 20 acres for around 250k about a half mile down the road from my house... but that was around 4 years ago... Just to give you an idea of the market in my area. Could build an small off road park and charge a fee [emoji16] there are literally none on island so it would be a cash cow for sure.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I friend of mine bought 20 acres for around 250k about a half mile down the road from my house... but that was around 4 years ago... Just to give you an idea of the market in my area. Could build an small off road park and charge a fee [emoji16] there are literally none on island so it would be a cash cow for sure.

20 acres where I’m looking isn’t much different. 125-175 with nothing on it. Stupid. I could buy 150 acres back home for 100k probably.

My grandparents bought a few hundred acres of farm land with a farm house on it for $17k back in the 60’s. Lol

wjtstudios

Hooked

It really is. Right now, it’s still cheaper to buy and renovate, verses buying a lot and building from scratch. But to Bricks point, the interest rates do help to offset that.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wjtstudios

Hooked
20 acres where I’m looking isn’t much different. 125-175 with nothing on it. Stupid. I could buy 150 acres back home for 100k probably.

My grandparents bought a few hundred acres of farm land with a farm house on it for $17k back in the 60’s. Lol

Right now in my area north of Detroit, property is going for about 40+ per acre, it’s ridiculous. If you go further north, that can come down to 20k an acre, still stupid.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Primo82

Caught the Bug
There are some pretty remote/dead counties in southern Indiana where you can buy large acreage lots for ~$4-5k/acre. There isn't any industry really in these counties, so you either need to be able to work from home or not need to work... Or use it as a weekend cabin.

Wife and I were tempted to buy my friends property with 80 acres but decided we'd rather pay the current house off and be debt free than pay another 30 years of mortgage. Ultimately when we retire we're going to sell everything and hit the road anyways...

Edit: And if you haven't really been, southern Indiana is actually pretty beautiful in my opinion.

Ddays

Hooked
Right now in my area north of Detroit, property is going for about 40+ per acre, it’s ridiculous. If you go further north, that can come down to 20k an acre, still stupid.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

There are some pretty remote/dead counties in southern Indiana where you can buy large acreage lots for ~$4-5k/acre.

When we bought our property I paid $1100/acre and there was 265 total acres to pick from. :crazyeyes: Granted It's kinda rural, but not in the stix either. I'd hate to see what it's going for now. And the cost per sq/ft too.
I'm not even gonna put down what we paid for that...

Primo82

Caught the Bug
When we bought our property I paid $1100/acre and there was 265 total acres to pick from. :crazyeyes: Granted It's kinda rural, but not in the stix either. I'd hate to see what it's going for now. And the cost per sq/ft too.
I'm not even gonna put down what we paid for that...

What year did you buy? That's ridiculously low!

Top Bottom