What was done to your rig this week?

dillard09

Where did you get those and how do you like em?

They are Quik- Latch QL-38. I really like them. Seem very secure. And easy to shut and latch, and unlatch to open. I believe I got them off Amazon. Have had them for about a year and finally installed them. Had to drill 2 holes in the radiator support to mount the pins and drill 2 holes in the hood for the latches. Took about an hr. Would have been less but I think I lined up the hood about 10 times. Once you cut a hole in the hood there is no turning back. Haha

p38

Caught the Bug
Latest mods/upates

We swapped out the Holley Sniper for an Edelbrock system. The Sniper was experiencing problems with the secondaries not closing completely. If anyone wants details - pm me.
I had some alligator hides, so the guys in the shop had the seats redone in alligator. We changed the roof rack, replaced all the lights with BD lights, and added a FLIR pod, Lowrance, and some kind of radio we needed for KOH. We also went to a larger Luna fridge/freezer. The FLIR is pretty cool - the screen is large enough and positioned so you drive looking at the screen rather than through the windshield. It takes a bit of getting comfortable, but once you are - it's incredible. Lights out, completely dark - like watching TV. Zero visibility because of dust, fog, or smoke - like it's not even there.
60841116759__C3568869-8D13-43A4-8890-E02CD1E1DBD7.jpg IMG_1845.jpg IMG_2007.jpg

p38

Caught the Bug
That thing is so awesome! Where’s the screen mounted on the dash?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

It's just to the right of the steering wheel. We thought about a swing mount to move it up directly in front, but it takes it away from the right seater who is the FLIR operator.

wjtstudios

Hooked
It's just to the right of the steering wheel. We thought about a swing mount to move it up directly in front, but it takes it away from the right seater who is the FLIR operator.

Got yah. Hell of a system

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

p38

Caught the Bug
Got yah. Hell of a system

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

The Navigation screen sits right next to it - so you can follow a trail/route/previously driven course without either looking out the windshield or with any type of obscuration. Once you learn how to interpret what you're seeing on the screen to what's out there - you can pick up the speed.

wjtstudios

Hooked
The Navigation screen sits right next to it - so you can follow a trail/route/previously driven course without either looking out the windshield or with any type of obscuration. Once you learn how to interpret what you're seeing on the screen to what's out there - you can pick up the speed.

I can only imagine the benefits when the dust and and lack of visibility make it impossible to see down the trail.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I don’t know, maybe it’s just me but if the dust is so bad I think I would rather back off a bit and go when I can see instead of looking at a screen and driving blindly. A screen won’t tell you where a wash out or big ass rock is. The whole thing sounds kind of dumb to me but to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

p38

Caught the Bug
I don’t know, maybe it’s just me but if the dust is so bad I think I would rather back off a bit and go when I can see instead of looking at a screen and driving blindly. A screen won’t tell you where a wash out or big ass rock is. The whole thing sounds kind of dumb to me but to each their own.

OverlanderJK, you make a very good point - and YES, I would back off and go when i could see. But the system is far from dumb - I omitted certain bits of information which I cannot share.
A major part of what we enjoy about off-roading, trail riding, rock climbing, etc is the scenery. What would be the point of going when you can't see. This system is not about enjoying the scenery, it's about going really fast across the desert and being able to actually "see" the race course and the guy ahead of you. It's about "seeing" a "big ass" rock obscured by a bush - because they have different heat signatures. It's about "seeing" that wash at night, in the dust - because it's as if it's daylight and there is no dust. It's about searching through smoke for hot-spots of a fire, finding firefighters trapped or disoriented and finding a way out. It's as simple as driving down the road or through a neighborhood on a dark night and have a pedestrian, bicyclist, or kid on a skateboard dash out in front of you. There are other components to the system such as terrain/trail database which add to the capability.
"To each their own"? - ABSOLUTELY - but far from dumb.

If we are ever at the same trail or event, come introduce yourself - I'll take you for a demo. You can drive - quite possibly the spookiest, most uncomfortable experience you will ever have behind the wheel. For the scariest ride of your life, you can go down the freeway in the rumble seat of my 34 Ford Roadster, in heavy traffic. My wife says it's the most scared she's ever been.

Last edited:
Top Bottom