VIDEO : RENEGADE on the ROCKS - Crawling up a Rocky Ledge in a Jeep Renegade

EnRoute

The little engine that could

This is a short teaser clip of our 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk being tested out on the Last Chance Canyon Jeep Trail soon after we installed a brand new 1.5" Daystar lift and a set of 225/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro tires. As you will see, we took on a tough rocky ledge about half way through the trail and even though we were hanging tires on more than one occasion, our little Renegade was still able to crawl its way up to the top and under its own power. I hope you enjoy the clip.

Good or bad, we'd love to know what you think of this clip and of the Renegade. :)

Love it. That is one capable ride.

jesse3638

Hooked
I've watched both of your vids in last chance canyon. That thing is really capable. Looks like the 4x4 selec-terrain system seems to work well. I didn't see a "rocks" mode so which one did you end up using?..haha. Looks like a lot of fun and look forward to seeing more.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Love it. That is one capable ride.
LOL!! Definitely "the little engine that could"! :crazyeyes:

What's funny is that I've had multiple people ask me about the engine and the lack of power it has. And, while it isn't stellar, it had more than enough to get the job done on this trail. What they're hearing is me trying really hard to move slowly up the obstacle rather than lurch up it and potentially damage or break something. :yup:

Dynatrac started designing an axle for these yet?

LOL!! Oh, how I wish especially being that it's most likely come with upgraded a-arms and coil overs. :D

Looking good, Definitely needs some Lockers though...

Lockers would be a plus but the traction control system works surprisingly well. What it really needs is rocker guards. If I could spend less time worrying about damaging the rocker panels, I could move through the obstacles a bit faster and that would help everything.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've watched both of your vids in last chance canyon. That thing is really capable. Looks like the 4x4 selec-terrain system seems to work well. I didn't see a "rocks" mode so which one did you end up using?..haha. Looks like a lot of fun and look forward to seeing more.

Actually, there is a rock mode and I did use it a lot on the trail. What it does is locks the front and rear drive shafts together so that they move as one. Without it on, the Renegade wants to run as primarily a front wheel drive vehicle with the rear assisting. The other modes break down the distribution in in a 60/40 front to rear delivery or vice versa. The rock mode also uses a much more sophisticated traction control system that I personally feel is way better than what the JK has :yup:

Impressed. Looks like a fun little Jeep

It is to us. We keep pushing this little Jeep to see what it's limits will be and so far, the biggest limiting factor is us and our willingness to let it get damaged. :crazyeyes:

Nice ride, jeep knows a thing or two about off-road vehicles.

LOL!! Indeed they do :cool:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Actually, there is a rock mode and I did use it a lot on the trail. What it does is locks the front and rear drive shafts together so that they move as one. Without it on, the Renegade wants to run as primarily a front wheel drive vehicle with the rear assisting. The other modes break down the distribution in in a 60/40 front to rear delivery or vice versa. The rock mode also uses a much more sophisticated traction control system that I personally feel is way better than what the JK has :yup:

It is to us. We keep pushing this little Jeep to see what it's limits will be and so far, the biggest limiting factor is us and our willingness to let it get damaged. :crazyeyes:

LOL!! Indeed they do :cool:

Assuming Rock mode is only on the trail hawk?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming Rock mode is only on the trail hawk?

Pretty sure it is. The Renegade Limited 4x4 that my wife and I test drove did not have it.

Yes, the rock mode is only available on the Trailhawk.

Finally had a chance to watch video that was awesome, I am thinking maybe I want one now.

After seeing Renny in action first hand, my wife and I are thinking the same thing.

LOL!! They are fun little Jeeps :D

dcast122

Mad Props!

This is a short teaser clip of our 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk being tested out on the Last Chance Canyon Jeep Trail soon after we installed a brand new 1.5" Daystar lift and a set of 225/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro tires. As you will see, we took on a tough rocky ledge about half way through the trail and even though we were hanging tires on more than one occasion, our little Renegade was still able to crawl its way up to the top and under its own power. I hope you enjoy the clip.

Good or bad, we'd love to know what you think of this clip and of the Renegade. :)

Eddie,

That totally changes my view on those LITTLE buggers. That just goes to show skill goes farther than money. Mad props.

longarmwj

I work as a salesman for Chevrolet, and I was showing this to the guys on break and they were all shocked that it made it up so easy!! For sure a capable vehicle!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie,

That totally changes my view on those LITTLE buggers. That just goes to show skill goes farther than money. Mad props.

:cheesy: In all honesty, these little buggers are way more capable than we were willing to push it. We really need rocker guards and maybe need to trim the front bumper to give us a bit more approach angle. :yup:

I work as a salesman for Chevrolet, and I was showing this to the guys on break and they were all shocked that it made it up so easy!! For sure a capable vehicle!!

LOL!! I don't know of any other sub-compact SUV out there that is anywhere close to being as capable as a Renegade. Come to think of it, I don't even know if any of them come in 4WD. The closest completion out there all come in the "compact" SUV category and even they are a far cry from a Renegade. :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you who've been wanting to see a full length video of our run out on the rocks in Last Chance Canyon, I'm happy to say that we're close to have it done and we should be able to upload later on today! :thumb:

IMG_5744.JPG

Top Bottom