VIDEO : Hi-Lift or Bottle Jack - What's the Better Tool for Changing a Tire?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I only have one bolted to my Jeep because my buddy gave it to me. I've used it once in the last 9 years and it was to break the beads on my tires in the garage. Also learned what needs to be lubed up on it after it's been exposed to the elements for so long...haha
LOL - keeping it lubed is key 🤪

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I keep putting off getting the Bottle jack Buddy... because I know I could make one... but still haven't.. Lol.. And I keep thinking about getting a Hi-Lift after seeing members here get Unstuck with one and witnessed it on the trail ..... but I don't want it bolted to my Jeep... so I haven't. :ROFLMAO:
LOL - for all the ways I have personally seen a Hi-Lift help get someone unstuck on the trail, I have also seen how a bottle jack can do the same. It is the reason why I don't carry a Hi-Lift on Moby or Jet.

TrailHunter

Hooked
LOL - for all the ways I have personally seen a Hi-Lift help get someone unstuck on the trail, I have also seen how a bottle jack can do the same. It is the reason why I don't carry a Hi-Lift on Moby or Jet.
I've noticed that... and probably also why I haven't bought a Hi-Lift. Spring Perch is ordered and I should have it this week so I can weld one up... Safety 3rd. ;)

Last edited:

maragon5

Without question, Hi-Lift jacks are extremely useful and versatile tools that every Jeep owner or off-roader in general should own. However, when it comes to changing a flat tire out on the trail, is it really the best tool for the job? In this video, you'll get to see just how well it does compared to a bottle jack and get my 2¢ on which I think is the better tool for the job.

How to Fix a Flat Tire Video:

US Jack Bottle Jack: https://amzn.to/2XLx8nf
Hi-Lift Jack: https://amzn.to/3CH2KJy
Bottle Jack Buddy - Standard:
Bottle Jack Buddy - Large: https://ebay.to/2Wf2nq0
Tire Repair Kit: https://amzn.to/3kAgCyU
great tutorial thanks. I am a big fan of bottle jacks, I've been carrying around an old craftsman bottle jack which I use for tire rotations. I've never had to plug a tire but I do carry around a plug kit in-case. Your video makes me more confident to be able to plug a hole. Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
great tutorial thanks. I am a big fan of bottle jacks, I've been carrying around an old craftsman bottle jack which I use for tire rotations. I've never had to plug a tire but I do carry around a plug kit in-case. Your video makes me more confident to be able to plug a hole. Thanks.
Awesome, so glad to hear it!

cyberil

Great video but I have a bit of a stupid question. I have a 5 tonne bottle jack that I use with Axle stands for tyre rotation, I notice that you use a 20 tonne jack. Have I been risking injury until now?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video but I have a bit of a stupid question. I have a 5 tonne bottle jack that I use with Axle stands for tyre rotation, I notice that you use a 20 tonne jack. Have I been risking injury until now?
Not a stupid question at all. As I mention in the video, I carry a 12-ton bottle jack and mainly because of all the built up Jeeps that I have. And I should note, the 12-ton is not for the amount of weight I need to lift but rather, how tall it will go AND be stable, especially out on the trail. For your purposes, you'll most likely be just fine with what you've got.

cyberil

Not a stupid question at all. As I mention in the video, I carry a 12-ton bottle jack and mainly because of all the built up Jeeps that I have. And I should note, the 12-ton is not for the amount of weight I need to lift but rather, how tall it will go AND be stable, especially out on the trail. For your purposes, you'll most likely be just fine with what you've got.
Thanks. I also like that Axle buddy thing you have. Not available in the UK so will have a search around for something else.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great videos! They should teach how to change a tire in high school along with shop again. Anyway, you wouldn't have had a flat if you didn't air down so low in the sand.
🤦‍♂️🤪:ROFLMAO:

And yes, you would think learning practical skills like this should be mandatory.

Top Bottom