VIDEO : Hi-Lift or Bottle Jack - What's the Better Tool for Changing a Tire?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Without question, Hi-Lift jacks are extremely useful and versatile tools that every Jeep owner or off-roader in general should own. However, when it comes to changing a flat tire out on the trail, is it really the best tool for the job? In this video, you'll get to see just how well it does compared to a bottle jack and get my 2¢ on which I think is the better tool for the job.

How to Fix a Flat Tire Video:

US Jack Bottle Jack: https://amzn.to/2XLx8nf
Hi-Lift Jack: https://amzn.to/3CH2KJy
Bottle Jack Buddy - Standard: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265335373314
Bottle Jack Buddy - Large: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265335372447
Tire Repair Kit: https://amzn.to/3kAgCyU

Last edited:

Jaybird 11

Caught the Bug
Great video! High lift is going to be mad at you lol! My dad had a high lift it the j truck for years. Only time we used it has to get unstuck in the snow once. Jacked it up high as we could and pushed it over and drove out.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video! High lift is going to be mad at you lol! My dad had a high lift it the j truck for years. Only time we used it has to get unstuck in the snow once. Jacked it up high as we could and pushed it over and drove out.
LOL - not sure why Hi-Lift would be mad at me. I clearly state that they are useful and versatile tools. And if you read their directions, they make sure to say that using a Hi-Lift to prop up a vehicle is dangerous and shouldn't be done. :)

AZVAJKU

Hooked
For changing a tire, I agree that a bottle jack is a better tool. At least IMHO.

The High Lift is a super versatile tool, and in the days before I could afford a winch it got me and many friends out of bad predicaments. It reminds me of a chain saw, a valuable tool however it can be dangerous if you don’t give it respect and learn how to use it properly.

I used to carry both a High Lift and a bottle jack, now I only carry the bottle jack.

Once again, Ripley is the star!!

Great video, thanks!

Definitely think a bottle jack is the way to go, but a Hi Lift is also great too, as each have their advantages. I bet a lot of people out there, Jeepers or not, haven't even heard of bottle jacks and could really use them to their advantage.

And i still can't get over the dramatic clang of the Hi Lift being slammed onto the ground. Don't know why, but I thought that was awesome 😂

jesse3638

Hooked
Awesome video. While most of us on the forum know how to change a tire there are any more who really don't. Thanks for the demonstration comparing the use if the hi-lift vs. the bottle jack. Glad you put out the full disclosure...haha.

I've got my popcorn ready for the comments on this one.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For changing a tire, I agree that a bottle jack is a better tool. At least IMHO.

The High Lift is a super versatile tool, and in the days before I could afford a winch it got me and many friends out of bad predicaments. It reminds me of a chain saw, a valuable tool however it can be dangerous if you don’t give it respect and learn how to use it properly.

I used to carry both a High Lift and a bottle jack, now I only carry the bottle jack.

Once again, Ripley is the star!!

Great video, thanks!
Yup, I love Hi-Lifts enough to own 3 of them. But, when it comes to changing out a tire, I prefer to reach for my bottle jack.

Glad you enjoyed the Ripley clip :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely think a bottle jack is the way to go, but a Hi Lift is also great too, as each have their advantages. I bet a lot of people out there, Jeepers or not, haven't even heard of bottle jacks and could really use them to their advantage.

And i still can't get over the dramatic clang of the Hi Lift being slammed onto the ground. Don't know why, but I thought that was awesome 😂
LOL - glad you liked the dramatic Hi-Lift drop. 😁

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The experts will have fun with this one 🤣
Good information I’ve used a high lift for everything except changing a tire
LOL - I'm 100% with you on this and what's even funnier is that if you read their directions, Hi-Lift is too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome video. While most of us on the forum know how to change a tire there are any more who really don't. Thanks for the demonstration comparing the use if the hi-lift vs. the bottle jack. Glad you put out the full disclosure...haha.

I've got my popcorn ready for the comments on this one.
Glad you enjoyed the video and really, that's all we were hoping to do. To help newbies understand how to change a tire safely.

As far as the internet experts go, you know they're coming LOL

jeeeep

Hooked
I have a brand new Hi-Lift in the garage, been there for the last 11 years unwrapped.

After seeing how high a Jeep has to be lifted with a Hi-lift, and seeing the handle break loose...nah

bottle jack with the adapter (y)

I did have to use the oem scissor jack once to get the axle tube high enough for the bottle jack+ adapter but still more stable than a Hi-lift

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a brand new Hi-Lift in the garage, been there for the last 11 years unwrapped.

After seeing how high a Jeep has to be lifted with a Hi-lift, and seeing the handle break loose...nah

I did have to use the oem scissor jack once to get the axle tube high enough for the bottle jack+ adapter but still more stable than a Hi-lift
LOL - that works too! 😁

jesse3638

Hooked

I only have one bolted to my Jeep because my buddy gave it to me. I've used it once in the last 9 years and it was to break the beads on my tires in the garage. Also learned what needs to be lubed up on it after it's been exposed to the elements for so long...haha

Slimebones

I only have one bolted to my Jeep because my buddy gave it to me. I've used it once in the last 9 years and it was to break the beads on my tires in the garage. Also learned what needs to be lubed up on it after it's been exposed to the elements for so long...haha
Yeah, my preferred method for breaking beads.:cool:

TrailHunter

Hooked
I keep putting off getting the Bottle jack Buddy... because I know I could make one... but still haven't.. Lol.. And I keep thinking about getting a Hi-Lift after seeing members here get Unstuck with one and witnessed it on the trail ..... but I don't want it bolted to my Jeep... so I haven't. :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom