VIDEO : Heavy Duty Ball Joint Installation for a JL Wrangler or JT Gladiator

Excited to see how these hold up. Knowing synergy and the fact that they’ve been developing these since the JL first came out I’d imagine that they are gonna be a top contender for sure.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Excited to see how these hold up. Knowing synergy and the fact that they’ve been developing these since the JL first came out I’d imagine that they are gonna be a top contender for sure.
They look real nice and I'm hoping you don't hear from me for quite some time. No news will be good news :)

benatc1

Hooked
Great install video, how many miles did you get on those stock ones? On big red I replaced the ball joints long over due at 30k. I think when I do then on the Mojave I'll go with these synergy ones I like the recessed fittings and I looked at the design difference in synergy website compared to the HD spicer ones. Might be better priced too

theexpozay

Great video... I don't think I know enough yet to tackle something like that, but one day!

(For now I will stick to electrical...)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video! Definitely looks like a lot of parts to take off but overall not as bad of an install as I was thinking.
Honestly, for people doing it for the very first time, I think you'll find that the first time takes a bit but then you'll blow through the second side.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great install video, how many miles did you get on those stock ones? On big red I replaced the ball joints long over due at 30k. I think when I do then on the Mojave I'll go with these synergy ones I like the recessed fittings and I looked at the design difference in synergy website compared to the HD spicer ones. Might be better priced too
We had over 60k miles on the factory ones I removed. While they were loose, I don't know if I felt any shifting side to side or up and down and to me, that means they were probably still okay. Of course, if I tested them with a dial indicator, I bet I'd see they were on their way out.

benatc1

Hooked
We had over 60k miles on the factory ones I removed. While they were loose, I don't know if I felt any shifting side to side or up and down and to me, that means they were probably still okay. Of course, if I tested them with a dial indicator, I bet I'd see they were on their way out.
That's not bad really, especially with the type of miles and offset/tire combo, I only replaced mine as nothing else was fixing a shimmy I had, though I couldnt get any movement out of them and fortunately, that fixed it right up.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's not bad really, especially with the type of miles and offset/tire combo, I only replaced mine as nothing else was fixing a shimmy I had, though I couldnt get any movement out of them and fortunately, that fixed it right up.
I will say that after installing these ball joints, my steering does feel better. Not that it was really bad before but now, it feels like new.

jeeeep

Hooked
excellent timing, I bought HD Mopar ball joints awhile back and need to get them on.
Anyone make a non FAD axle shaft yet?

jesse3638

Hooked
I will say that after installing these ball joints, my steering does feel better. Not that it was really bad before but now, it feels like new.
Yeah on my JK bad ball joints were the cause of my death wobble. I probably went about 15k too many miles over...haha. When I lifted the tire off the ground you could see light between the boot and end forging as the knuckle dropped maybe a 32nd of an inch. Way too much play. Also I noticed these were not knurled are there any real benefits of knurled vs non-knurled? Also once you go with knurled replacements can't back to non-knurled correct?

maragon5

Thank you for this. I've been debating on whether or not to undertake this on my JK and after watching your video I think I'll give it a try.

CalSgt

Hooked
excellent timing, I bought HD Mopar ball joints awhile back and need to get them on.
Anyone make a non FAD axle shaft yet?
Spicer makes them with and without FAD but I'm not sure if they use a solid shaft or just a lock up collar. I ordered the set that retains the FAD system, the U-joints are huge compared to the factory ones. I think they are 1410 joints IIRC, they barely fit through the steering knuckle

https://spicerparts.com/parts/axle/automotive-performance/spicer-nickel-chromoly-axle-shafts

Top Bottom