Trail Recon...

JAGS

Hooked
I disagree. I personally know people who are familiar with trails and destinations and don't share this information online. I personally know of tons of trails and destinations that most would love to know about and that I would NEVER share, especially on YouTube. Even now, when I go to these places, they are still unmolested. I have little doubt that I could make videos about them and get tons of views but Cindy and I made a decision a long time ago, to NOT be a part of the problem. So far, it's helped.
I knew nothing about off-roading until I came across your vid’s and old site after renting a jeep and wanting to buy one.

This may sound cheesy, but I say it sincerely and from first hand experience. With you and Cindy, it is more than just a jeep.

you’ve never changed your tune and very easily could have to take advantage of the “influencer” BS. I remember first going on trips and whether a huge group or just a few Jeeps, you’d always say “don’t make it easier for yahoos to find these places.” That was nearly 10 yrs ago now. As I said, you’ve never changed your tune.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I knew nothing about off-roading until I came across your vid’s and old site after renting a jeep and wanting to buy one.

This may sound cheesy, but I say it sincerely and from first hand experience. With you and Cindy, it is more than just a jeep.

you’ve never changed your tune and very easily could have to take advantage of the “influencer” BS. I remember first going on trips and whether a huge group or just a few Jeeps, you’d always say “don’t make it easier for yahoos to find these places.” That was nearly 10 yrs ago now. As I said, you’ve never changed your tune.
Thank you. We really do appreciate it.

Bringing this back up. Case in point on this crap.
View attachment 372940 View attachment 372941
I get the same photo and question suggested to me on YouTube. The vast majority of responses say to not share the location.

I do watch some of his videos and the locations are not shared other than a general region of a state or near some town but people familiar with areas would be able to figure out out.

Pretty much anything shared as a video can eventually be figured out by smart people (by doing research), including recent videos that Eddy has shared.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bringing this back up. Case in point on this crap.
Pretty much anything up and down the 395 is just hammered now and in my opinion, just in the last 10 years or less. I used to love the Owens Valley and the surrounding mountains but rarely go anymore being that it's just so overwhelmed with people. Why has that happened? I have my guesses but then, that's just me. All I can hope to do is make it a little harder for dumb people to find the places I care about. Places that I love, I NEVER even post about in photos or otherwise. And guess what, they're still just as pristine today as they were 20-30 years ago. Imagine that.

So, you seem to be a smart people. Where was I in the last video?
I am glad that you think that I am among "smart people" but I am too busy and lazy to spend any time on it. 😀

Anything which involves a mine or a town produces public and private records and with enough time a spot can be located based on available evidence. There are people who take pride in such things, but not me.

Big snow banks do not usually produce any useful records.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am glad that you think that I am among "smart people" but I am too busy and lazy to spend any time on it. 😀

Anything which involves a mine or a town produces public and private records and with enough time a spot can be located based on available evidence. There are people who take pride in such things, but not me.

Big snow banks do not usually produce any useful records.
What a surprise :rolleyes:

From my experience, MOST "smart people" are too busy and lazy to spend any time on it. Since you seem to miss it time and time again, THAT is the whole point. To make it just a tiny bit harder to find places that really matter. When you start posting up GPS coordinates, directions or even saying where you're at with a click bait video title that states, "THE BEST PLACE TO GO CAMPING" or some BS like that, YOU are inviting all the smart and not so smart people to go to or get them to "spend the time" to find those places. Unlike all the new and popular influencers out there, all I ask of people on this forum - MY FORUM, is to not be a part of the problem. It's really that simple. Again, I'm not asking you to like or agree with me here, just to abide by my request. If you like what influencers out there are doing or at the very least, don't have a problem with them, by all means, please spend more of your time on their forum.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I know right? What an idiot. I hope he never comes to Colorado “in search of THE BEST AND MOST SECLUDED campsite” and then the wingnut posts GPS coordinates for it.
I met Brad at Evo's Jeep Bash... He seems like a Nice Dude... I really hope he's smarter than that and the question was just to drum up a conversation. But the fact that he even asked is concerning. Anyone that enjoys doing what we do... and has a bit of sense... should understand that we are trying to preserve whatever Trail Freedoms we still have.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I met Brad at Evo's Jeep Bash... He seems like a Nice Dude... I really hope he's smarter than that and the question was just to drum up a conversation. But the fact that he even asked is concerning. Anyone that enjoys doing what we do... and has a bit of sense... should understand that we are trying to preserve whatever Trail Freedoms we still have.
All I can say is that some of the nicest people I've ever met have all been people trying to sell me something. Whether it's to sell me a used car or to get me to click on a video and become a "subscriber". And really, I totally get it - I personally, just don't agree with it or at least, when it comes to things like trails and remote locations. Maybe I'm full of myself to say it but I can assure you that I know of more amazing places than most "influencers" could ever hope to and if I had a "bit of sense", I would understand that I have the freedom to tell people where they are and how to get to them and that would get me lots of views, hundreds of thousands of subscribers and make me a shit ton of money. However, I AM trying to preserve whatever trails we still have and so I don't.

jesse3638

Hooked
All I can say is that some of the nicest people I've ever met have all been people trying to sell me something. Whether it's to sell me a used car or to get me to click on a video and become a "subscriber". And really, I totally get it - I personally, just don't agree with it or at least, when it comes to things like trails and remote locations. Maybe I'm full of myself to say it but I can assure you that I know of more amazing places than most "influencers" could ever hope to and if I had a "bit of sense", I would understand that I have the freedom to tell people where they are and how to get to them and that would get me lots of views, hundreds of thousands of subscribers and make me a shit ton of money. However, I AM trying to preserve whatever trails we still have and so I don't.
Clearly you're and idiot and doing it wrong (internet told me that). :crazyeyes:...haha

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Clearly you're and idiot and doing it wrong (internet told me that). :crazyeyes:...haha
Well, I've been doing the YouTube thing since it started back in 2007. That's way before some of the most popular influencers today were even in highschool and my haters always remind me of the fact that I have a fraction of the views and subscribers of ones that just started up. So yeah, I suck.

jesse3638

Hooked
Well, I've been doing the YouTube thing since it started back in 2007. That's way before some of the most popular influencers today were even in highschool and my haters always remind me of the fact that I have a fraction of the views and subscribers of ones that just started up. So yeah, I suck.
They also don't listen to the fact where you've said time and time again you only do it to share the experiences and knowledge you have but couldn't care less how many people view your content. Personally I really enjoy everything you share.

JimLee

Hooked
You started before celebrity worship became such a widespread mental illness. You keep sucking, we'll still be here. Wait, that didn't sound right...
awkward.gif

Have you considered trying yoga pants and a French-cut tee? It is not too expensive and it is the least you could do to increase views.

Top Bottom