Towing a Jeep Wrangler with a motorhome

Zstairlessone

My parents flat towed their TJ for years behind their motor home until they sold the camper a few years back. They had a big flap built across the whole back of the camper because the Jeep would always get rocked bad, and usually crack a windshield on almost every trip.

Being true Jeepers, when it came to a choice they got rid of the motor home and kept the jeep

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
Yup. Need to hear more from people that are traveling in an RV with a Jeep behind it. Give up the stories folks.

I already had a RV and recently purchased a JLR. Flat towing(not my 1st rodeo flat towed a Willys for years) a 4,000 lb. vehicle today requires a more evolved tow system than back in the day. I researched for days, finally pulled the trigger and purchased a Blue Ox tow system comprised of Patriot II aux. braking and their Alpha 6 6,500 lb. tow bar. For plug and play wiring I installed a Cool Tech deluxe flat tow harness kit in my JLR. All for around $2G . I am not saying this is the ticket, just what I ended up with and it works flawlessly. I just returned from a 1,600 mile road trip to Moab and back. On interstate at 70 mph or poking along on gravel/dirt to campsite, I really didn’t know the JL was back there(except for rear camera). Once all set up(installed), hook up is quick, less than 5 mins. and your headed safely and legally down the road.
I’ve never owned a trailer for hauling a Jeep and don’t want one either. Costs more, needs a license, maintenance and a place to park.
View attachment 325803
This was one of my other flat tow setups I ran for years. Made my own tow bar, bumpers and wiring harness. No aux. braking system needed. Willys wagon had big 4 wheel disc brakes conversion and a T18 4 spd. manual trans. for down hills speed control. AMC 360 v8 for uphill.
View attachment 325804
That’s my story and I’m sticking by it. :yup:[/QUOTE]

Loving that Willy’s Wagon...where is it now?

sourdough

delete delete delete

Attachments

• willys super delivery.jpg
    willys super delivery.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 191
  • Wilbur engine .jpg
    Wilbur engine .jpg
    135 KB · Views: 190
  • Willys interior rear.jpg
    Willys interior rear.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 113
  • willys interior passenger side.jpg
    willys interior passenger side.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 193
  • willys interior drivers side.jpg
    willys interior drivers side.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 196
  • willys exterior frt. 1-4.jpg
    willys exterior frt. 1-4.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 193
  • wilbur sale photo.jpg
    wilbur sale photo.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Willys interior passenger side (1).jpg
    Willys interior passenger side (1).jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 195
  • willys fuse box.jpg
    willys fuse box.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 201
  • willys exterior rear.jpg
    willys exterior rear.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

jdofmemi

Thanks. It has been living in Anaconda, Montana. these last 7 years. I had it for 24 yrs. and was sorry to let it go. I got old and tired of tent camping and moved to RV’s. here are some more pictures.
View attachment 325945
View attachment 325950
View attachment 325946
View attachment 325955 View attachment 325954
View attachment 325949
Trailer I built out of a willys truck bed
View attachment 325948

Love that build.

Each time you show it, we get a few more treats.

What is the lever on the gearshift for, an overdrive unit or something else?

JJ151

Flat Towing w/Ram Assist?

Is there anyone out there flat towing their jeep and have a ram assist on their Jeep? I have been flat towing jeeps for 15 years but none of my jeeps have had a ram assist installed. I am currently installing a PSC steering system with ram assist and someone mentioned that I could no longer flat tow the jeep. I contacted PSC and they did not believe it would be a problem and have customers that flat tow their jeep with ram assist. PSC did indicate that they have a few customers that are sure you can’t flat tow with a ram assist and PSC’s recommendation was to just loosen the tie rod clamp to free float on the tie rod.

1.) Is is ok to flat tow with a ram assist on the Jeep?
2.) If not, is it ok to flat tow with a ram assist w/tie rod clamp loosened to free float on tie rod?

Anyone with first hand experience with flat towing a jeep with ram assist is appreciated. Thanks!

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Is there anyone out there flat towing their jeep and have a ram assist on their Jeep? I have been flat towing jeeps for 15 years but none of my jeeps have had a ram assist installed. I am currently installing a PSC steering system with ram assist and someone mentioned that I could no longer flat tow the jeep. I contacted PSC and they did not believe it would be a problem and have customers that flat tow their jeep with ram assist. PSC did indicate that they have a few customers that are sure you can’t flat tow with a ram assist and PSC’s recommendation was to just loosen the tie rod clamp to free float on the tie rod.

1.) Is is ok to flat tow with a ram assist on the Jeep?
2.) If not, is it ok to flat tow with a ram assist w/tie rod clamp loosened to free float on tie rod?

Anyone with first hand experience with flat towing a jeep with ram assist is appreciated. Thanks!

I can’t answer your question but was wondering, is the steering wheel locked when you flat tow?

Top Bottom