The Big Ku

Brute

Hooked
bear.jpg

I watched this bear fishing for sockeyes...then he decided to take a nap right there; put his head on his paw and closed his eyes...I walked right by him while fishing (hoping I wasn't going to snag a sockeye right there)...

Brute

Hooked
this bow taped at 24.25"...my largest of the trip taped at 25" even...

Attachments

• trout.jpg
    trout.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 66

Brute

Hooked
sockeye.jpg

One of several sockeye...you literally bumped sockeye & chum salmon on almost every cast...the rainbows were positioning themselves behind the salmon whenever they paired up, hoping for a fresh roe treat...I even caught a chum in the mouth; I couldn't believe he took a wooly bugger with a bead in front...he was coming apart pretty badly as they deteriorated after entering the rivers and lakes from the salt water...

Brute

Hooked
Nora.jpg

Nora...the camp bear alarm. She barks whenever a bear wanders into camp, which happened once during the week...the guides broke out the shotguns (one with birdshot, the other with 00 buck)...shot into the air to scare the bear away...

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
None of the guides pack guns...however one of the anglers surprised a sow with two cubs...she charged him; he dropped his rod in the stream and pulled out the bear spray, safety off. She stopped about twenty feet away, woofed a couple times, then turned around and went through the bush. This guy has been fishing Alaska over twenty-five years and seen a lot of bears...good thing he kept his cool and didn’t turn and run.

It happened on the Little Ku River, where it’s tight with lots of bushes and trees lining the river...I saw a lot of bears there...
I’m skittish of brown bear. I’d go fishing there, but I’d feel better with one of these...

Attachments

• B670FA87-8DBC-42A2-9CD0-79C9C014D786.jpeg
    B670FA87-8DBC-42A2-9CD0-79C9C014D786.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 55

Jsouder53

Hooked
View attachment 332524

One of several sockeye...you literally bumped sockeye & chum salmon on almost every cast...the rainbows were positioning themselves behind the salmon whenever they paired up, hoping for a fresh roe treat...I even caught a chum in the mouth; I couldn't believe he took a wooly bugger with a bead in front...he was coming apart pretty badly as they deteriorated after entering the rivers and lakes from the salt water...

Mmmmmmmm you’re making me hungry for some fish!

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
View attachment 332525

Nora...the camp bear alarm. She barks whenever a bear wanders into camp, which happened once during the week...the guides broke out the shotguns (one with birdshot, the other with 00 buck)...shot into the air to scare the bear away...

Looks like a great trip Ed! Glad you had such good success. Definitely a bucket list trip.

Up in Katalla my buddy had a Karelian mix that would just sit on the bank while we fished. Every now and then she’d perk up and take off into the brush when a bear would get close and you’d hear them crashing through the woods. She’d come walking back and just lay back down on the bank like nothing happened. Pretty damn cool to see.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
Looks like a great trip Ed! Glad you had such good success. Definitely a bucket list trip.

Up in Katalla my buddy had a Karelian mix that would just sit on the bank while we fished. Every now and then she’d perk up and take off into the brush when a bear would get close and you’d hear them crashing through the woods. She’d come walking back and just lay back down on the bank like nothing happened. Pretty damn cool to see.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nora was cool with the bears...but was put inside whenever wolves or an eagle flew by...

jeeeep

Hooked
awesome trip, awesome pics!

That's on my 3 year bucket list (daughter graduates college in 2 yrs :rock: )

Top Bottom