Texas Winter Run! [ Tentative ]

daverawr

Alright guys I will go ahead and get this thread started for the next run. Location is not planned yet or anything
So we can start by getting ideas, Im thinking we can make this one a 3 day camping trip

UPDATE:
So with alot of the interest being in going to Big Bend, I have decided on making this trip to go to Big Bend state ranch.(Also another texas member is in the midst of setting up a run to Barnwell's sister park which is another reason i have made this for Big Bend instead of doing 2 similar runs back to back!) As of now im doing research on seeing what trails we will be taking each day etc. As for now i am referring to this guide for 4x4 trails within the park : https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_p4501_0152k.pdf
Take a look for yourself, any recommendations on trails you guys have been on or seen please do let me know. From what it looks like this will be a first time trip for quite a bit of us including me so all the recommendations and advice is appreciated.
AS OF NOW: the dates i am looking at is January 7-10 so it will be after all the holidays etc. and for college students if there are any, should be out of school still.
As for an each day plans i am still unsure.Will plan that around trails and arrival times depending on what day leaving time is, because it is a long drive.

Tentative Itinerary :
Thursday January 7th - Arriving at nighttime to Presidio, TX ( Apx 1hr 50 min drive to the park entrance )
- As for lodging in Presidio i am unsure yet would like to have somewhere we can all stay for those who will be arriving Thursday Night and gives a good meeting point for the rest of the group if the wish to meet in the morning of January 8th
- Group dinner can be planned according to the times we all plan and actually getting there.
Friday January 8th - Everyone should be outside by the rigs by apx 7:30 - 8:00 AM since we will be fighting the time change and sunset will start earlier and the park is still about 1 hr 50min from the town according to google maps
- Depart to park by 8:15-8:30
- Once we arrive to park entrance we can begin the air down and disconnecting sway bars etc.
- From that point we will follow the routes i have planned for us untill sunset at which point we will look for the nearest camp site and set up camp.
Saturday January 9th - Everyone should be ready to roll by 9:30-10 AM meaning camping gear packed up by that time.
- Will then depart by 10:30 AM and then we will get back on the trails for which we will ride basically the same plan as the day before, untill sunset then set up camp.
- Assess plans for the morning because it will be the last night we will be staying here and most people will need to get an early start to get back home in time for work Monday morning. by this time we should be looking for maybe short trail that leads to the maintained roads in order for easy exit of the park.
Sunday January 10th - 9:00 -10 AM everyone should be packing up and nearly ready to depart our last campsite
- 10:30 AM depart on to our last few actual 4x4 trails of the trip and then exit park
- After exiting park we will bid our farewells and head back home.
Requirements for this run:
Extra fuel ATLEAST 5 Gallons ( Within the park there are no gas stations and we will be on the trails for 2-3 days depending on which plan we go with )
Full size spare
CB Radio
Sliders

Here is a few links shared to me from CCTX50 ( Thanks! ) - These links have pictures and some extra info on the trails etc. So i will be using these to better gague the trails we will be doing etc. So please do take a look at the links so you know what to kind of expect on these trails!

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29003

http://wikitravel.org/en/File:Big_be...eformatted.png

http://visitbigbend.com/category/getting-here/

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44410

Weather will be very cold. Lows of 30 so do bring enough clothing and etc to stay warm !
Camping will be fully primitive so plan accordingly.
Dogs are allowed, but are not allow to be more than 1/2 mile away from the trail.
There are designated campsites about 150 so there will be many places to camp
And in ground camp fires ARE allowed at the STATE park.

For now i will leave the group number open to about 15 people, will break up into 2 groups after we reach 20 people. Tentative time frame is sometime in early January so you can get your christmas gifts installed on the jeeps aha.
But please post a picture of your rig and name if you are interested in partaking in this event.

1. daverawr (Dave) + Gf & Pups [2011 JKUR 35's]
2. Jegar (Giovanna) [2015 Willy JK 35's]
3. Jackal01 (Charlie) + Wife & Pup [2011 JKU 35's]
4. BobbyGTX (Bobby) [2011 JKR 33's?]
5. Dwiggles (David) + Wife & Pup [2015 JKUR]*
6. LoneStarRox (Andrew) [2008 JKUR 35's]*
7. Granite_head (....) [2015 JKUR 35's]*
8. tdougherty81 (Tom) [2008 JKU 35's]
9. dcm80401 (David) [2014 JKUR 37's]
10. Jpat30 (Jeremy) +Wife [XJ]
11. Cjmenma (Carlos) + Wife [2015 Stock JKU]
13. CCTX50 [2013 Stock JKUR]*
* = tentative

Plans will be updated as we get more things set in stone.

Any ideas or help planning will be welcomed. !

-Dave

Last edited:

USMC Wrangler

Good for you Dave! Damn, after I lived nearby that state park for two years and now moving. (I never made it over there to check out the trails unfortunately.) Have fun y'all! Maybe someday I'll come back just for a run to meet everyone.

drafh

My name is Angela. I drive a 2014 JK Sport with a 2" lift on 33's. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1443580297.561323.jpg

Last edited:

Jackal01

I'll get an updated picture shortly but count us 3 (wife nd our GSD Zero). Name's Charlie.

Barnwell sounds good to me, though. We won't have the vacation time saved up to take the time we want for it. We are taking a cruise in December so that eats up 6 days for us. Closer is better.

DSCN0472_zpswyzgm1ju.jpg

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I'm tetatively in depending on the date. Hopefully the jeep will be "grown up" by then. I'm David, count me in with my fiance/wife (again, depending on the date) and my GSD (Lexi)

Attachments

• 1443582147229.jpg
    1443582147229.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 206

LoneStarRox

Count Me In

I would like to go on this, if it turns out to be Big Bend, it's a tentative (long way from North Tx) The Hidden Falls trip is the first with my new haul trailer and will determine if I need to upgrade to 3/4 ton pickup to drag it that far comfortably. Here is my Jeep and trailer.
IMAG1084.jpg

Exodus 4x4

Been there and have to say I kinda prefer it to the national park. Tent camped the week before Christmas a few years back and it was cold, but doable. Might shoot for this one too, if I can talk the wife into it. Just found out we're pregnant though so it'll all depend on how she'll be handling that. Put us down as tentative...

daverawr

Got everyone added to the list so far ! :) Already a great amount of interest! Like i said any ideas or if you would prefer one spot over the other please let me know ! So we can go where the majority wants. Big Bend is just up there cause i thought it would be nice and the trails will be somewhat remote, keeping the group together and everyone getting to know eachother alot more over the days we will be riding. One thing i will recommend is having some sort of way to bring extra fuel so we can stay on the trails the whole time. Going to one camp spot for 1 night then packing up and ride the trails to the next camp spot which will be staying at for 1 night then packing up and riding the trails as group back out the park the morning after. Just some ideas i had going through my mind! I have yet do alot of research on Barnwell Mountains, so if you guys have been there before or know more information, SPIT IT OUT lol.

daverawr

Been there and have to say I kinda prefer it to the national park. Tent camped the week before Christmas a few years back and it was cold, but doable. Might shoot for this one too, if I can talk the wife into it. Just found out we're pregnant though so it'll all depend on how she'll be handling that. Put us down as tentative...
Well either way, Congrats on the good news :) All the best for you and the family !
I would like to go on this, if it turns out to be Big Bend, it's a tentative (long way from North Tx) The Hidden Falls trip is the first with my new haul trailer and will determine if I need to upgrade to 3/4 ton pickup to drag it that far comfortably. Here is my Jeep and trailer.
View attachment 167096
When i see a jeep on a trailer all i see is "this guy is playing no games" haha. ! Never towed much besides a huge grill, quite scary if i do say so myself.
Good for you Dave! Damn, after I lived nearby that state park for two years and now moving. (I never made it over there to check out the trails unfortunately.) Have fun y'all! Maybe someday I'll come back just for a run to meet everyone.
Thanks. and you deff will need to come back down and get a run in with us! :) So we can match a face to the name aha !

Last edited:

LoneStarRox

Well either way, Congrats on the good news :) All the best for you and the family !

When i see a jeep on a trailer all i see is "this guy is playing no games" haha. ! Never towed much besides a huge grill, quite scary if i do say so myself.

Thanks. and you deff will need to come back down and get a run in with us! :) So we can match a face to the name aha !

Ha, I guess you could say I'm experienced with trailers so not that scary. I'm Andrew, guess I forgot to put that in my post.

tdougherty81

My name is Tom. I would definitely be down for Big Bend but open to other areas as well.

Attachments

• 1443596711776.jpg
    1443596711776.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 159

USMC Wrangler

Congrats! :thumb:

Put the Swank family down ans a maybe.

We were looking at this area for a mid-winter get away. (Although early Feb to mid February suits us better.) The only catch will be where our son ends up being stationed. If he is in a semi-warm place I we will likely spend the time visiting him. I will update my status when I know for sure. and if you fill up on confirmed goers I am cool with getting bumped. :yup:

For those that don't know, we are Jay. Alana, and Kegan

IMG_7518.jpg

daverawr

I always wanted to visit that area. Look forward to hearing more.
Did you want to be added to the list as a tentative ? or did you want to wait till more info was given out ! Just let me know!

Put the Swank family down ans a maybe.

We were looking at this area for a mid-winter get away. (Although early Feb to mid February suits us better.) The only catch will be where our son ends up being stationed. If he is in a semi-warm place I we will likely spend the time visiting him. I will update my status when I know for sure. and if you fill up on confirmed goers I am cool with getting bumped. :yup:

For those that don't know, we are Jay. Alana, and Kegan

View attachment 167114

Great to see some intrest from out of state wayalifer's ! Hope to see you guys down here. Where is your son planned on being stationed?? Got you added to the list.!

Top Bottom