Tent trailer size? & Build thread

CalSgt

Hooked
Skinned the inside of the doors & installed latches today. I just need to fab in a floor, tent rack, and fenders, pull some wiring & it will be ready for paint. I ordered a few gallons of Raptor liner on Amazon, it cost over triple what automotive paint would have but hopefully will hold up better.

IMG_3958.jpg

IMG_3959.jpg

CalSgt

Hooked
That’ll look great with your Jeep.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Thanks...

I had a bunch of big plans to make a kitchen slide out for the inside, and a bunch of lighting but I will probably won't be able to afford it now... Effing Governor Newsom is cutting both me and my wife's pay by at least 10% & probably cutting 2400 jobs from our department.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Thanks...

I had a bunch of big plans to make a kitchen slide out for the inside, and a bunch of lighting but I will probably won't be able to afford it now... Effing Governor Newsom is cutting both me and my wife's pay by at least 10% & probably cutting 2400 jobs from our department.

That sucks, this really can’t end soon enough.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

CalSgt

Hooked
Took the body off & flipped the frame over to finish some welds, it looks like a lowrider on 37's upside down

IMG_3963.jpg

IMG_3964.jpg

Dad made a jig to position the floor mounting brackets
IMG_3965.jpg

IMG_3966.jpg

Got the fenders & deck mocked up. The fenders will be bolted to the frame so they can be replaced if they get damaged, there will be a gap between the fender & body so hopefully the body won't get bent if I bang the fender on something.

I plan to get them gusseted and prepped for paint tomorrow...
IMG_3967.jpg

IMG_3968.jpg

CalSgt

Hooked
Finished gusseting the fenders

IMG_3972.jpg

IMG_3971.jpg

IMG_3970.jpg

My dad cut out the corners of my fender bracing & we patched in a piece to match the profile of the prefabbed fenders I bought
IMG_3975.jpg

IMG_3974.jpg

IMG_3976.jpg

IMG_3973.jpg

CalSgt

Hooked
Picked up a used lumber rack for $100 over in Reno (Scum Valley actually) to make the tent rack out of

20200528_130003.jpg

IMG_3984.jpg

Choped it up & my dad made a jig to cut the angles perfect
IMG_3986.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

IMG_3990.jpg

I've never had mitered tubing turn out this perfect without tons of grinding to get the angle just right
IMG_3997.jpg

IMG_3995.jpg

CalSgt

Hooked
Here is the one I used...

It's a little tricky, for it to work right you need to adjust the diameter and check the template to your tubing. When you can wrap the template around the tubing and the reference lines at the ends match up perfectly that's what size you need. For example my tubing was 1.90" diameter & I ended up using a template for about 1.78"

You also need to draw a line perfectly straight down the length of the pipe so you can line up the notches at both ends. If you clamp the tubing into a piece of angle iron smaller than the diameter of the pipe and use the edge of the angle as a straight edge seems to be the easiest way.

http://www.metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi

CalSgt

Hooked
Prepped the frame for paint with this Krud Kutter acid & scotch bright pads

IMG_4007.jpg

IMG_4006.jpg

Coated everything with 2K Epoxy sealer

IMG_4015.jpg

IMG_4009.jpg

Gave everything a coat of single stage black urethane that was left over from a different car
IMG_4017.jpg

After that did the fenders and outside frame rails with black raptor liner, that stuff is awesome & was real easy to use
IMG_4021.jpg

IMG_4022.jpg

IMG_4026.jpg

CalSgt

Hooked
Lots of paint today...

Prepped, sanded, and epoxy sealer
IMG_4049.jpg

Then a healthy coat of white, we had some expensive PPG Concept DCC single stage white purchased for another car that we ended up going a different direction on
IMG_4058.jpg

IMG_4073.jpg

IMG_4063.jpg

Then coated the box, doors, and tool box with white Raptor liner
IMG_4070.jpg

Top Bottom