Hooked
Welded about 110 inches of sheet metal today... 1/4" at a time

Got the side all finished & started the frame for the roof

IMG_3816.jpg

IMG_3817.jpg

IMG_3819.jpg

CalSgt

Hooked
Patched some of the holes in the body, got the rear jacks mounted, framed the lid, and set sheet on it

IMG_3868.jpg

IMG_3870.jpg

IMG_3872.jpg

Spazbyt

Hooked
Looks awesome man! Are you going to bed line the outside? I think the old paint actually looks cool like its a Rest-o-drop? or maybe a Ratlander? Farmcamper?... We can iron out the name later. You just keep the build pics coming. :thumb:

CalSgt

Hooked
Looks awesome man! Are you going to bed line the outside? I think the old paint actually looks cool like its a Rest-o-drop? or maybe a Ratlander? Farmcamper?... We can iron out the name later. You just keep the build pics coming. :thumb:

What's "Rest-o-drop" mean :thinking:

I was thinking bright white paint with a black frame to match the jeep originally but have been considering white tinted bedliner just to reduce the amount of bodywork that would need to be done for paint

Spazbyt

Hooked
What's "Rest-o-drop" mean :thinking:

I was thinking bright white paint with a black frame to match the jeep originally but have been considering white tinted bedliner just to reduce the amount of bodywork that would need to be done for paint

Lol yah that one was stretch restomod and teardrop trailer. Bedliner would be alot easier then paint. The white would help it from turning into a oven in the sun too.

JPast

That's looking awesome. Having a trailer makes everything so much easier, love being able to set up camp, unhook the trailer and get on the trails with ease. Here's a photo of mine just need to work on a more permanent solution to keep it stable, the bar by the tongue likes to wiggle a little bit when getting in and out of the tent.

IMG_0266.jpg

Last edited:

CalSgt

Hooked
That's looking awesome. Having a trailer makes everything so much easier, love being able to set up camp, unhook the trailer and get on the trails with ease. Here's a photo of mine just need to work on a more permanent solution to keep it stable, the bar by the tongue likes to wiggle a little bit when getting in and out of the tent.

That looks really nice...

I was originally looking at making something like this stabilizer bar to go under the rear bumper but I'm going to wait to see if I need it, might work for you

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-020106-RV-Stabilizer/dp/B001UGJPXQ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3TXND6LFY1EFG&dchild=1&keywords=rv+stabilizer+bars&qid=1588562733&sprefix=rv+stab%2Caps%2C217&sr=8-2

JPast

That looks really nice...

I was originally looking at making something like this stabilizer bar to go under the rear bumper but I'm going to wait to see if I need it, might work for you

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-020106-RV-Stabilizer/dp/B001UGJPXQ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3TXND6LFY1EFG&dchild=1&keywords=rv+stabilizer+bars&qid=1588562733&sprefix=rv+stab%2Caps%2C217&sr=8-2

Thanks that looks like it could be a good solution

I may end up switching the tongue stand to what you have for stability on the back, Having it adjustable would be nice for being on ground that isnt flat.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

CalSgt

Hooked
Got the suspension mounted... No, the picture isn't upside down this time we flipped the trailer over to make it easier.

IMG_3899.jpg

IMG_3900.jpg

CalSgt

Hooked
Took the suspension apart and reassembled it about 10 times today to get the cross members perfect, welded in the extendable tongue, rear hitch, cross members, and gussets. Began to lay out the "A" frame on the tongue to match the tongue box I ordered.

IMG_3905.jpg

IMG_3904.jpg

IMG_3906.jpg

CalSgt

Hooked
Looks good. You’re making a lot of progress. I’m hoping to get back to mine here pretty soon.

Yeah... You need to get to it, I think you are going to have an easier time sheeting yours than I did because of the way you framed everything. Kinda fun to see different ways of doing things. I wish I would have looked at your thread again yesterday, on the first page you talk about uphill & downhill welding. I screwed up a few uphills today before I figured out downhill is the easy way to make them pretty.

CalSgt

Hooked
Got the frame finished enough for a test drive today, took it for a five mile loop through the country. These picture are with the tongue set at the max length 118" wheel base, the shorter setting is 97" wheel base so it can be set to track exactly like a 2 door or 4 door JL. I don't think the tongue will look so long when I get the "A" frame braces and tongue box mounted.

IMG_3923.jpg
IMG_3924.jpg

This back up cam photo is with the tongue at 97"
IMG_3926.jpg

The trailing arms have a big ledge at the front just ahead of the tire so I made a rock rail (ramp) leading up to it.
IMG_3916.jpg
IMG_3928.jpg

5 gallon can of VP race gas to show off the ground clearance
IMG_3931.jpg

And got my tail & back up lights roughed in too
IMG_3935.jpg

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Yeah... You need to get to it, I think you are going to have an easier time sheeting yours than I did because of the way you framed everything. Kinda fun to see different ways of doing things. I wish I would have looked at your thread again yesterday, on the first page you talk about uphill & downhill welding. I screwed up a few uphills today before I figured out downhill is the easy way to make them pretty.

Yeah I just literally haven’t had any time off work the last month. That’s over for a bit so gonna spend some quality time with the fam and then make some time to get back out there to work on it. Good idea on the ramp where the bushings on the suspension are.

CalSgt

Hooked
Today I finished the "A" frame for the tongue, & matched it to the angle of the box I bought for it

IMG_3955.jpg

IMG_3957.jpg

JPast

Coming along great, I like the side door for the front portion of the trailer. I only have access from the front and back so getting in the front typically calls for moving the cooler a bit.

CalSgt

Hooked
Coming along great, I like the side door for the front portion of the trailer. I only have access from the front and back so getting in the front typically calls for moving the cooler a bit.

Thanks, I looked at all of the $5K to $20K trailers & the side door seemed to be the common layout

Top Bottom